Analysis 2019 List Management Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Ed. Curnow reminds me of 'Carrots' Carrazzo the way he just keeps improving year on year.

Ed will play every game he is available this year IMO.

I'm not sure about that...i could see him getting squeezed out by the end of the year if all our young talented mids keep improving.
His form was actually pretty poor second half of last year, after a really good first half.

Certainly a decent chance of it happening in 2020 if Kennedy & Setterfield in particular improve and stay on the park, along with the other young mids.

Mar 1, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
The answer to the question; 'Was Stocker a mistake?" is premature, but I'm still a little unsure as to why we needed the type, given what we had already accumulated, other than for not having faith in one or two others and in particular, Kennedy.

A lot has to play out but seems to me, we have the core of our starting mids close to in place already; Cripps, Setterfield, Dow, SPS and not too far away, Sam Walsh and then we have Fisher going through also.

Kennedy & Stocker may be playing it out for one more midfield spot, but I don't see them playing together. I may in time, but found it hard last year and no easier this year, even though I haven't seen a lot of Stocker, but just talking about types here.

Perhaps with his power and disposal he could be a High half forward? So not really a mid.

Mar 1, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
I think Stocker is competing with Dow moreso than Kennedy as than 3rd inside mid with breakaway speed.

In time he might play on half back or half-forward, while rotating through the midfield. He’s got the pace and kicking skills to be developed in a number of areas, he just never needed to at TAC Cup level.

Nice problem to have really.

Develop him as an explosive high half forward. JDG like

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
It will be vigorous but I think it will also be fair.
Those numbers just look right. It won't be 12-14 this year, but 10 is still a fair number.

Players that will have heart in mouth, or simply may retire; Simpson, Thomas, Goddard, LeBois, Casboult, Schumacher, Garlett, Lobbe/Phillips, Pickett, Kerr, Gibbons, Cottrell, Lang & JSilvagni = 14 players

Matthew Kreuzer should be on that list before JSOS; especially if he has another injury plagued year

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
Well that's a critical stat for a forward. Maybe I just haven't seen him use it.

I love an optimist, but Pat lasted on the board until pick 65 for a reason.

what does that even mean? some of the best players going around came off the rookie list or didnt even get drafted and came in as matured aged re entrants. To mention one close to home - Betts missed the 04 national draft and we got him in the preseason draft. Hird taken at 79, Matt Pridis brownlow medalist and rookie, From the swans 2014 grand final side -
Fourth round or later/Rookie Draft

Tom Papley (No.14, rookie draft)
Jake Lloyd (No.15, rookie draft)
Nick Smith (No.15, rookie draft)
Xavier Richards (No.29, rookie draft)
Harry Marsh (No.32, rookie draft)

Dane Rampe (No.37, rookie draft)
Heath Grundy (No.42, rookie draft)
Kieren Jack (No.58, rookie draft)
Sam Naismith (No.59, rookie draft)

Need I go on ?

edit Look at tom williamson taken at 61

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
what does that even mean? some of the best players going around came off the rookie list or didnt even get drafted and came in as matured aged re entrants. To mention one close to home - Betts missed the 04 national draft and we got him in the preseason draft. Hird taken at 79, Matt Pridis brownlow medalist and rookie, From the swans 2014 grand final side -
Fourth round or later/Rookie Draft

Tom Papley (No.14, rookie draft)
Jake Lloyd (No.15, rookie draft)
Nick Smith (No.15, rookie draft)
Xavier Richards (No.29, rookie draft)
Harry Marsh (No.32, rookie draft)

Dane Rampe (No.37, rookie draft)
Heath Grundy (No.42, rookie draft)
Kieren Jack (No.58, rookie draft)
Sam Naismith (No.59, rookie draft)

Need I go on ?

Swans are in a league of their own when it comes to late/rookie picks

Weiterbot23

Cancelled
Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer Sponsor 2016 Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer 2009 Player Sponsor
Oct 7, 2008
Yarraville
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
OKC
What ever happened to Xavier Richards?

Played in a granny as a 20 year old then never played again

cookie monster

Premiership Player
Jun 12, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
NY Giants
Swans are in a league of their own when it comes to late/rookie picks
Part of the trick is having a solid group of players around incoming late picks. It's easy for them to excell when they are surrounded by and learning from class. We hope this can be Carlton of the next decade

What ever happened to Xavier Richards?

Played in a granny as a 20 year old then never played again

Quit Sydney and tried to pick his club.

Club's thought that he was a bit ahead of himself.

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Quit Sydney and tried to pick his club.

Club's thought that he was a bit ahead of himself.
Yeah, if memory is correct, Syd made him an offer, he chose to explore other options. Syd then removed their standing offer, no other offer received.

Nori

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Part of the trick is having a solid group of players around incoming late picks. It's easy for them to excell when they are surrounded by and learning from class. We hope this can be Carlton of the next decade
Yes, just imagine how guys like Cripps and Walsh raise the bar for the youngsters. Absolute guns that work their butts off rather than cruising on talent.

BluesRule

Premiership Player
Dec 16, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm not sure about that...i could see him getting squeezed out by the end of the year if all our young talented mids keep improving.
His form was actually pretty poor second half of last year, after a really good first half.

Certainly a decent chance of it happening in 2020 if Kennedy & Setterfield in particular improve and stay on the park, along with the other young mids.
Ed had a poor last game by his standards against the Crows in the last round (when we were smashed) but in the second last game against the dogs he had 28 disposals, 9 marks, 7 tackles 4 clearances and 4 inside 50s. In the last 5 rounds he also had 28 disposals against Suns (our last win) and 22 against Giants (in a big loss) when everyone was struggling. Excluding two games against Adelaide (And 22) and the Pies (Rnd14), Ed had over 20 disposals in every 2018 game he played and had 38 disposals in Round 2. Ed Runs all day, tackles, provides leadership and a mature body. We need Ed to have a big year as that is high output.

Last edited:
Ed will once again be very important in 2019, and think he will remain as such for 2020 also, even if it is in a different role.

We have a lot potential through that midfield now, but potential is all it is for now. The onus is on those young mids to stand up and force him out, because we know Ed won't lie down and just let it happen.

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
One of those players would be resting forward or on the bench.

Just look at Port. They'll have Boak, Powell-Pepper, Ebert, Rockliff and Wines in the same midfield.

I think our biggest issue is making sure our game plan and structures hold up during match play.
Re: Port - they may play them in the same midfield, but there is nothing to suggest it's a good idea.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Don't think that source is right, ive been looking at top ten 20m sprints from the AFL and Topendsports and they dont have Stocker in it.

I dont believe stocker has that explosive speed like Danger, fyfe, dusty. Hopefully he isnt slow.
I remember a discussion stating he could burst from stoppage when he was drafted. Powerful first step. Not sure of the source now though.

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

Ftfy
220px-NCIS_-_The_8th_Season.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back