Analysis 2019 List Management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, that is the hope. Or at least not miss more than 2-4 games.

Our ruck stocks are stacked...Kreuzer, Phillips, Lobbe

Our KPD stocks are stscked...Weitering, Marchbank, Plowman, Jones

Your earlier post is optimistic, and as I said I love it. But TDK and Kerr are unlikely to play 1sts without injuries.

I think TDK will definitely play. Too good. Kerr may need an opportunity

Yes, that is the hope. Or at least not miss more than 2-4 games.

Our ruck stocks are stacked...Kreuzer, Phillips, Lobbe

Our KPD stocks are stscked...Weitering, Marchbank, Plowman, Jones

Your earlier post is optimistic, and as I said I love it. But TDK and Kerr are unlikely to play 1sts without injuries.
The issue is that our ruck stocks are stacked when they're actually out on the field. Also their ages are out of alignment with our midfield age profile.
Krooz and Lobbe are both around 30, and Phillips nearly 28....in four or five years time when our mid have hit their peak, it's unlikely any of these will still be on our list.

TDK is becoming a young ruck bull in the NB's and looks like he's progressing well, but we desperately need another young ruck on our list to develop while we still have Krooz, Phillips, Lobbe around. Dawks have just done that drafting Reeves along with Pittonet, as successors to McEvoy and Ceglar.

Riley Bowman was overlooked in the 2018 ND, not sure whether he's be worth a look at, given we could get him for nothing. The other option may be to trade one in during the trade period, or draft a Luke Jackson in the 2019 ND if he's still available at our pick.

The issue is that our ruck stocks are stacked when they're actually out on the field. Also their ages are out of alignment with our midfield age profile.
Krooz and Lobbe are both around 30, and Phillips nearly 28....in four or five years time when our mid have hit their peak, it's unlikely any of these will still be on our list.

TDK is becoming a young ruck bull in the NB's and looks like he's progressing well, but we desperately need another young ruck on our list to develop while we still have Krooz, Phillips, Lobbe around. Dawks have just done that drafting Reeves along with Pittonet, as successors to McEvoy and Ceglar.

Riley Bowman was overlooked in the 2018 ND, not sure whether he's be worth a look at, given we could get him for nothing. The other option may be to trade one in during the trade period, or draft a Luke Jackson in the 2019 ND if he's still available at our pick.
Yah that's fine. No disagreement there.

I cant' find one active player on our list that we'd be willing to trade at the end of this year.

Seems to me that we a. Either have the players that we simply wouldn't entertain trading b. Players that just won't have any value.
If we were to have moved Jones on, it would have been last year, so that's it; We just don't have anything to sell.

Odd situation to be in...second year in a row.

I cant' find one active player on our list that we'd be willing to trade at the end of this year.

Seems to me that we a. Either have the players that we simply wouldn't entertain trading b. Players that just won't have any value.
If we were to have moved Jones on, it would have been last year, so that's it; We just don't have anything to sell.

I can think of one.

No doubt we will have a go at those players, Taranto is one who I think we would be interested in as well.

I'd look at Taranto as well. Brings something to our squad that we really don't have.

Perhaps a diffrent way to look at is, list the untouchable players and then the rest are tradable...at a price obviously.

I'd look at Taranto as well. Brings something to our squad that we really don't have.

If GWS let a high profile player go, I reckon it will be Jacob Hopper.

Rival clubs may offer Hopper $700k+ and GWS may not have that sort of money to offer him.

I don't see GWS wanting to match such offers for Hopper given they've just drafted Caldwell, Hately and O'halloran.

Furthermore, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe GWS have an academy player (Tom Green - big bodied inside mid) who could go very high in the 2019 draft. They'll be well stocked in this area.

Patty Kerr. KPF with promise but 5-6th kpf in our depth chart.

Next question.

Anyone want to speculate the meaning of the ordering of opposition player names on the board in the background?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Changed my mind a bit.
Of course if Coniglio is open-minded about coming to us, then all good and we should go hard, but I'm seeing a midfield group with steely resolve.

They may well be young, but they're not the 'We'll have to wait until they're 25 before we see the best of them' lot.
Even in these early JLT matches, each and every one showed they have the capacity to hold up when the going gets hard.

We have 22 weeks of this year to prove this, but if these young guys do hold up, we're then in a position to train our sights elsewhere.
One can say you can never have enough quality mids, but one can't say that any team has a bottomless well in regards to the TPP.

Didn't think I'd be viewing it this way so early, but confidence is very high right now on SPS, Fisher, Walsh, Setterfield, Dow and co.

Changed my mind a bit.
Of course if Coniglio is open-minded about coming to us, then all good and we should go hard, but I'm seeing a midfield group with steely resolve.

They may well be young, but they're not the 'We'll have to wait until they're 25 before we see the best of them' lot.
Even in these early JLT matches, each and every one showed they have the capacity to hold up when the going gets hard.

We have 22 weeks of this year to prove this, but if these young guys do hold up, we're then in a position to train our sights elsewhere.
One can say you can never have enough quality mids, but one can't say that any team has a bottomless well in regards to the TPP.

Didn't think I'd be viewing it this way so early, but confidence is very high right now on SPS, Fisher, Walsh, Setterfield, Dow and co.

SPS is the real game changer for us Jonathan (Harker), if his JLT/preseason form carries on into the Home and Away season, I see no reason to recruit Conligio (mainly cause he is restricted free agent and you'd assume GWS would match, forcing a trade)

Need Marchy and Plowy and Weetbix to have big years down back, I prefer organic growth from this point onwards myself.

Delighted with what we have seen from Setterfield so fair, bit like C3PO convincing Uncle Owen to to buy R2D2, a real bargain !!!

Re: our list numbers and the mid-season draft for Doc’s & JP’s return...read from the bottom

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...f-carlton-have-their-way-20190314-p514b2.html
“The Blues have confirmed they intend to use one pick - and possibly two - at the new mid-season draft.
The club said they would wait and see how Docherty progressed during the season before making the call on whether he would be replaced in mid-season with a draftee.”

Ahh savvy - keeping the option open to bring the doc in for our first crack at finals under bolton. Nicely thought out

Do you think all three will play 22 games each? TDK can play ruck, Kerr in defence, McGovern in defence, Charlie wing or on ball. Lot to play out yet

I like the idea that IF kerr can force his way in, that we no longer have to have the big 3 as locks for the forward line. There is no doubt that charlie can play midfield, ditto Mitch in defence, and harry is already being used in the Ruck. So with those 3 multifunctioning ,all 3 can swing in and out leaving kerr as single non rotating forward.
Having said that, reportedly Kerr is being groomed as a defender as well during preseason, so that also gives us another layer of player multifunction. Imagine the opposition selection table discussion trying to work out where those 4 are going to play. The potential for mismatches is extraordinary .
I thought this observation from Blue Abroad was very interesting

Yah that's fine. No disagreement there.
Changed my mind a bit.

If Coniglio landed at the Blues through FA, it would likely have a huge flow on effect to our trade and draft options later this year.

We could then turn our attention to trading for the type of player(s) we need to compliment our longer term requirements...like a young ruck, a running hbf and small crumbing goalkicking forward.

me watching doc's comeback..........

i115AaT.jpg

I’m very confident SOS and Co will have their hooks into a number of very good players for the end of the year and I see us using this years first and next years to get them.

Then we could add Fisher and maybe a very good 19 year old mid year.

Add 3-4 mature bodies and a couple of youngsters at years end along with another year of development 2020 will be a good year.

Makes for some very interesting decisions as years end.

Last edited:

Macreadie, Pickett, Polson, Phillips, Lang the only possibilities for me, tho I suspect the latter four are simply DFA types. Macreadie could still fetch a second rounder I would suspect, and don't think he's in the 'wouldn't entertain' basket. Depending on Cuningham's year, he could be a sell high prospect if we're not convinced he'll kick on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back