Analysis 2019 List Management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gibbo is part of the long term deal. He will bob up and kick 4 or 5 in a game this year. Real deal. If you cant see that. You don't know what you are watching. I am sorry but there are some people who dont know what they are talking about on here. Or are just not rational assessors. Newman another example will play 500 games for us.

We should hit the FA this year, there is a solid group of 25 to 27yo.

Coniglio- every clubs number 1 target.

Cunningham and Newes- 25/26yo winger

Liberatore- should have chased him last year.

Sheppard or Bews- would be a massive addition to our back line.

Ellis and Buntine- I'm not that keen on them

Tomlinson- I don't know where he would play in our team.

Day- can play forward or back and would add more depth to our talented list of talks.

Sexton- proven goal kicker

Nicholls- only FA ruck in the right age bracket but only really played one good season

Ellis-Yolmen- do we need another tall big bodied mid? I'm a huge fan

Elliot- would be my number 1 target if he stays fit this year he'll play his 100th and kicked over 150 goals.

Elliot, Sheppard and Coniglio are the player I want.
Elliot and Shepard just can't see them going anywhere TB If we could land Coniglio would be a dream
I like Cunningham from Sydney as well, although he mainly plays wing/mid personally I think he would go well as a lockdown/rebounding defender.
Smart player who has great pace and disposal and good defensive traits, would help with our lack of smaller defenders

I know theres a lot of hype around coniglio but is he really the type of player that we're missing from our list? hes a great midfielder with good finishing skills around goal, but our issue over the last few seasons has never been players who can execute in front of goals, its been delivering the ball into the forward 50. I would think that whitfield of josh Kelly would be far higher on the priority list. Dow, Setterfield, Kennedy, Cripps and fisher are all mids who can push forward but very rarely do because they are permanently battling to get the ball up the ground. Our movement out of the backline is in my opinion the worst in the comp, and that's why we had such a shocking year without Docherty. Teams like Richmond, Collingwood and Melbourne have given us huge issues because they can lock the ball in their forward 50 so easily. Charlie, Harry and Gov can all take marks up the ground, but how often did you see them taking marks in the forward line on Thursday? Most of the time they are having to take marks on the half back line and then wait for the rest of the team to push forward, and then push forward themselves, by that time teams have set up their defense and makes it tough to take a mark inside. Players like whitfield and Kelly run and carry and deliver the ball with precision from 60m away, they break lines and move the ball forward accurately, therefor reducing the need for Charlie etc to push out of dangerous positions to provide marking options in our defensive half. Thoughts?

I know theres a lot of hype around coniglio but is he really the type of player that we're missing from our list? hes a great midfielder with good finishing skills around goal, but our issue over the last few seasons has never been players who can execute in front of goals, its been delivering the ball into the forward 50. I would think that whitfield of josh Kelly would be far higher on the priority list. Dow, Setterfield, Kennedy, Cripps and fisher are all mids who can push forward but very rarely do because they are permanently battling to get the ball up the ground. Our movement out of the backline is in my opinion the worst in the comp, and that's why we had such a shocking year without Docherty. Teams like Richmond, Collingwood and Melbourne have given us huge issues because they can lock the ball in their forward 50 so easily. Charlie, Harry and Gov can all take marks up the ground, but how often did you see them taking marks in the forward line on Thursday? Most of the time they are having to take marks on the half back line and then wait for the rest of the team to push forward, and then push forward themselves, by that time teams have set up their defense and makes it tough to take a mark inside. Players like whitfield and Kelly run and carry and deliver the ball with precision from 60m away, they break lines and move the ball forward accurately, therefor reducing the need for Charlie etc to push out of dangerous positions to provide marking options in our defensive half. Thoughts?
LOB will play that role for us. Perfect example of what we need at 1.08 on the NB highlights

I agree that LOB could end up playing that role, but id also say whitfield is the more talented and creative player. Im more meaning in regards to the people talking about free agents that will make 'an immediate impact'. Cognilio type is a finisher, Whitfield type is a building block to a team. We have a lot of development until we should be thinking of getting a finisher style player over someone like Whitfield. Its like picking Jaimie Elliot over a solid full forward if your building a list, a full forward works without a small forward, a small forward needs the full forward to function and bring the ball to ground.

Good post. One concern is how predictable how rebound 50s are. 90% of the time it is a long kick the a contest on the wing. We need more creativity - where's the short kick back to the middle of the ground? Where's the run and carry. Or just mix it up between between them all. We have the cattle with the skills - do not pigeon hole them into one strategy

Very valid and on the point of Docherty, I've already put forward him as being the single biggest loss we could have had for the year.
He simply made the back-line walk tall and instructed them where and when to go, with purpose.

I had Coniglio as being our primary target for this year and even though I haven't changed my mind completely, one has to take into account that for every action, there has to be a reaction.
People mostly just want talent and that's fine, but once you start moving one piece, you can cause a domino effect that may not have been in the teams best interest. What I mean by that, even though our mids are young, they look capable of carrying the heat. Start shuffling them around now and it's possible you may inadvertently create more problems than for any good.

We won't be seeing Whitfield and for that reason won't bring him into the equation.
Kelly would be a premium get and not impossible, but what would we have to manufacture a suitable deal for GWS?

I don't want anything more than for us to plug the holes and trust the personnel we've put together and developed.
Don't want a KPF or a KPD. All I keep seeing is running players and ones capable of kicking a goal. Plenty to yet play out though.

Great post WITG👍

Parish from Essendon is in his last year at the cheats. He was dropped for Round 1. Would start work on him now. Shiel perhaps not as good as everyone thought. Easy when you are playing in a quality midfield.
Just out of curiosity what do you find appealing about Parish and where do you see him fitting in at Carlton, He would still demand a top 20 pick to move and think that Carlton have more pressing needs than a small inside mid. Who does he replace ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the game i watched live last thursday night and re watched on foxtel 2 times since

Carlton's most pressing needs are 2 quality small fowards (curnow & Fosolo are never going to be the answer)
Another area that Carlton are short in is outside runners that are quality, You guys had nobody that could run with Lambert & McIntosh

Parish is neither

Retired- Thomas, Simpson
Delist- Casboult, 1 Ruckman+ 1 other
Rookie- Lebois

Not trying to pick this post out but a number have said it.

Can someone tell me why there is an expectation that Daisy will retire at the end of this season?

He is one month older than Murphy, played 11 less games and is arguably playing the best footy he has played since the Pies premiership year.

If he keeps going like this is I'd see him as one of our most important senior players going into next season.

Why can we not let the season unfold a little before we retire, delist, trade or "put down" players just because we think we know what we need?

It's fun to speculate but I'm a little over us being in the "box seat" for every uncontracted player who actually doesn't play for us already.

Gibbo is part of the long term deal. He will bob up and kick 4 or 5 in a game this year. Real deal. If you cant see that. You don't know what you are watching. I am sorry but there are some people who dont know what they are talking about on here. Or are just not rational assessors. Newman another example will play 500 games for us.

And will kick 2000 goals in his last 10 years in the forward pocket;)

From the game i watched live last thursday night and re watched on foxtel 2 times since

Carlton's most pressing needs are 2 quality small fowards (curnow & Fosolo are never going to be the answer)
Another area that Carlton are short in is outside runners that are quality, You guys had nobody that could run with Lambert & McIntosh

Parish is neither

You're spot on regarding the small forwards, but I'm betting the club would back the players already on the list to fill the power runner positions. Walsh and O'Brien are in their AFL infancy and a fit Marchbank and Williamson would make an enormous difference to the side.

Parish is neither

Fair comment but here’s hoping Cunners (young), Gibbo (just getting his chance like Lambert did a few years back) and Fasolo (readjusting and just back from injury) come on well.

I believe some silky quick types are the last missing pieces.

- 1 quick half back (Be a blessing if Williamson comes good but unlikely).
- 1 quick outside mid (Josh Kelly would be the dream).
- 2 quick small forwards (Someone like Billings would be handy).

Be good if we could time travel and have a young Betts, Garlett & Yarren combo with this list... Would be scary good.

I hate being Harry Hindsight - but whenever I watch Ed Richards play I can’t help but wonder what could have been. He would have been perfect off half back with his combination of size, speed and skills.

FWIW I still like LOB and think he will make it as an outside mid.

I hate being Harry Hindsight - but whenever I watch Ed Richards play I can’t help but wonder what could have been. He would have been perfect off half back with his combination of size, speed and skills.

FWIW I still like LOB and think he will make it as an outside mid.

I feel the same way.

Both will have successful AFL careers, but in the context of where our list sits currently, Richards would be more impactful.

I think we have a list full of role players. If we pick a mid and they are just a role player they wont get a game, the one thing our midfield could use is another Walsh or a Coniglio, Kelly, Taranot type.

Forward line has tall forwards ticked off but the small forwards playing there already are role players. They aren't elite.

Back line probably has it's tall defender stocks ticked off. The smaller defenders there are all role players. If you want to pick another role player they probably won't get a game unless you pick a genuine line breaking, hard defending two way running defender.

I think we have our replacements for Kreuzer (TDK), Thomas (Docherty, Williamson), Ed (already a bit on the outer, maybe Kennedy or an elite mid), Jones (Macreadie or Ben Silvagni or Goddard). You don't replace these guys with role players and go forward you need to replace them with really good players.

To be honest if these guys are all on the list next season I won't be at all surprised.

I'm hoping as the list matures most of these players will grow out of their injuries.

End of the day, our best 22 is fairly reasonable quality and if we go out and pick up a heap of role player types with lower draft picks or what have you they are now likely only going to fill numbers in the reserves.

The positions we need to fill are positions for elite talent.

That's a fair point but I probably see the game a bit differently.

There seems to be a cluster of 12-14 teams that can potentially make the 8.

Every team competing in that range has a few so called 'stars of the competition.' In my opinion, the biggest difference between these teams is in the quality of the bottom half dozen or so and having the depth to find the right team balance.

I agree that LOB could end up playing that role, but id also say whitfield is the more talented and creative player. Im more meaning in regards to the people talking about free agents that will make 'an immediate impact'. Cognilio type is a finisher, Whitfield type is a building block to a team. We have a lot of development until we should be thinking of getting a finisher style player over someone like Whitfield. Its like picking Jaimie Elliot over a solid full forward if your building a list, a full forward works without a small forward, a small forward needs the full forward to function and bring the ball to ground.
Welcome, but you couldn't be further from the mark about Coniglio: a true balanced mid, and probably one of the first players that would be picked in any team.

Biggest knock on him is that he's not 6'3".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back