Analysis 2019 List Management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
31582-Keep-Looking-Forward.jpg

The Cats have apparently offered T Kelly $800k for one year and remain staunch on two first rounders from one of the WA teams if he wants out either this year or next. We should get creative here and suggest that he walks to us in the draft for $1m for the year and if he wants out we release him to his WA club of choice for their 1st round pick only.

That is simply genius

I can only go by what is reported. Whether it's accurate or not, this is what was reported in afl.com just prior to the mid season draft.
To be honest dd, I found it all pretty confusing, with the AFL seemingly changing the rules of eligibility along the way from a 'season ending injury', to a 'long term injury'.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-27/midseason-rookie-draft-order-your-clubs-picks

View attachment 690911
Article from 6 months ago:

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/12/16/could-carlton-add-two-state-level-players-to-its-list/

Pretty sure Bamboo is right on this one.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-27/midseason-rookie-draft-order-your-clubs-picks

Last two paragraphs of the article as well. Gibbons and Cottrell were taken preseason to fill the empty rookie spot and the spot opened by Bugg. Pickett added to the LTI list ahead of the mid season draft to allow us to take DeLuca. Docherty still "indefinite" as the club didn't want to rule out a late season appearance.

Contradicts what was reported in the lead up to Gibbons and Cottrells selection. All through draft time last year, SOS made it clear we were leaving a list spot open for the mid season draft.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/12/16/could-carlton-add-two-state-level-players-to-its-list/

The Cats have apparently offered T Kelly $800k for one year and remain staunch on two first rounders from one of the WA teams if he wants out either this year or next. We should get creative here and suggest that he walks to us in the draft for $1m for the year and if he wants out we release him to his WA club of choice for their 1st round pick only.
Can see this ending up on another club's 'Opposition posters say the strangest things' thread.
In my opinion there is still plenty to go
Could go
Simo
Thomas
Murph
Must go
Lobbe
Fasolo
Will be very nervous
Phillips
LAng
Galett
Lebois
Kennedy
Polson
Goddard
I am not saying they all should or will go but I can not see any of them being there in 2 or 3 years and on present and passed exposed fork can not see them playing in our next run to the top
THOMAS MURPHY CAN PROBABLY PLAY ANOTHER COUPLE I'M NOT SO SURE ON SIMMO
CAS AND JONES WILL BE 30 NEXT YEAR SO ARE CLOSER TO THE END THAN START SO THAT MAY SAVE GODDARD
OUT OF THE REST I WOULD PROBABLY KEEP KENNEDY GARLETT AND POLSON AND PHILLPS FOR 1 MORE YEAR
Why are you shouting?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our biggest list requirements by order of importance are;

Praying that sam docherty can make a full recovery.

B grade durable ruck to cover period if kreuze is injured and tdk is learning.

Small forward

Lock down small defender (not overly required is docherty comes back or if schuey makes it).

None of these should carry huge draft position costs and small forward and ruck are probably trades.

Apart from retirements/pensioned off elements most delistings relate to ruck/small forward failures.

Whilst we're dreaming up ideas on who out there would look good in our side... what's Cameron Zurhaar's status? Not just under the "chopped us up" rule, but he hits like a train and seems to love a goal. Our team would benefit a great deal from some genuine aggro in the forward line (anywhere, really). I like the cut of his jib.

On the off chance all our get Whitfield, Gresham, Bontempelli and Grundy stuff falls through, of course. :cool:

Contradicts what was reported in the lead up to Gibbons and Cottrells selection. All through draft time last year, SOS made it clear we were leaving a list spot open for the mid season draft.

Can only assume we were in no rush to lodge the paperwork, as it didn't need to happen until closer to the mid season draft. Then everything else happened and we were able to re-work it.

Dec - Doc does his ACL (9-12 month recovery), Pickett his patella (6 month recovery).
Jan - Club planning on selecting two players (one with the empty list spot, one via Doc's ACL), one via each of the SSP and Mid Season Draft channels.
Feb - Tom Bugg retires, club chooses to take two SSP selections (Gibbons and Cottrell), still planning to take one player in the Mid Season Draft (via Doc's ACL)

Docherty's rehab seems to be going well, and the club seems to be open to the possibility he may take to the field late in the season. Pickett's rehab seemed to go downhill, and the club chose to add him to the LTI list instead of Docherty - a few weeks later he retires anyway. My guess is that Pickett was struggling to commit fully to his rehab, and the ultimate decision was that it was in the interests of both parties for him to go home (while continuing to be supported by the club while his treatment continues) and for the club to move on.

That is simply genius

It's the smartest way to use the PSD for low-ranked teams, I reckon.

Find a player who wants to "move home" but whose club won't play ball. Offer them a big contract for 12 months, with a promise to trade them to their preferred club for a "fair" price at the end of the following season. There's your "mature support" right there, and you score a solid draft pick or player at the end of it as well.

Kelly wants out of Geelong, to head back to WA.
Geelong asking way too much given they only gave up a second rounder for him, and knew full well he was a massive flight risk.
Carlton/St Kilda/Melbourne/whoever offers Kelly $1m for a season if he walks to the PSD.
After getting 12 months quality football from an elite player, they trade him to WC for Pick 17.

PSD Pick 1 becomes an elite player to support the rebuild for a season, then Pick 17.

No need to be asking for Priority Picks if you can swing something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back