Status
Not open for further replies.

FitzroyBlueBagger

FitzroyBlueBagger
Sep 30, 2018
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton
What's the take on kane farrell from port? Could be a good cheap pick up?
Has good pace, 183cm 75kg Bendigo Pioneers, has a bag of four against Fremantle played 7games this year for 11goals but only averages 8 disposals per game, shown some small glimpses but would be down the pecking order of chasing players particularly for that small forward spot ..

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
If we retain Fasolo and delist Thomas I'll spew up.

I’m more concerned about who we bring in than who we delist. That along with a big pre season for our younger players is the key IMO.

If names like Murphy and if they stay like Daisy can’t get a game on form in 2020 then I will be happy.

I’m all about No 17

Sep 3, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I’m more concerned about who we bring in than who we delist. That along with a big pre season for our younger players is the key IMO.

If names like Murphy and if they stay like Daisy can’t get a game on form in 2020 then I will be happy.

I’m all about No 17
Yeah of course. Thats the goal. If they are pushed out of the team thats a great thing.

We should still retain the better players and cut the dead wood.

The kids will learn more off Daisy than they would off Fasolo.

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
I think Casboult is a good example of why Thomas she be offered another contract.

Most of us, and probably most inside the club, thought Cas would barely play this year. He was nothing more than last resort depth type of a guy. But a couple of early injuries happen and he gets a chance and he doesn't just take it with both hands, he rips your whole bloody arm off and goes and has a career year.

Doc and Willo both have injury issues and if Simpson does retire I think Thomas will be invaluable for 1 more year. Even if he is just depth ala Casboult, he's an injury or 2 away from being a fulltime starter again.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
That's my take. We are building our next great side and we still have a lot to do. Sacrifices have to be made.

I'm hoping that Docherty & Willo come back strong next year and we need players like Schumacher stepping up.

I remember being sad when Ashman retired but it happens
It wouldn’t be a sacrifice though because it is totally unnecessary.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
He's 33 next year. Given what we have coming through, List balance, I can understand it
I just don’t see the point in it. We have so many other players who should be moved on before him that it just seems so unnecessary to move on someone who is easily best 22 and versatile. If he had lost his speed or looked like it I could understand but he hasn’t

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Next year we have

Murphy - 33 years old
Kruezer - 31
Curnow - 31
Casboult - 30
Jones - 29

Daisy will be 33
Simpson will be 36

Worst thing that can happen to a list is they all go in one year. Murphy Kruezer & Curnow may only have one more year.

It so important now that these exits are staggered. Can't have them all leaving at once.

Cripps will be 25
Docherty - 27
Newman - 27
Plowman - 26
McGovern - 26
Gibbons - 25

Our first lot of draftees in the rebuild (2015 draft) will be around 23 years old
The next years players need to play

At worst we will bring in around 5 players about 25 years old

If all this happens we will have a much better balanced list in 2020 and that will make a massive difference to our overall performance. Big Picture

Jun 10, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Next year we have

Murphy - 33 years old
Kruezer - 31
Curnow - 31
Casboult - 30
Jones - 29

Daisy will be 33
Simpson will be 36

Worst thing that can happen to a list is they all go in one year. Murphy Kruezer & Curnow may only have one more year.

It so important now that these exits are staggered. Can't have them all leaving at once.

Cripps will be 25
Docherty - 27
Newman - 27
Plowman - 26
McGovern - 26
Gibbons - 25

Our first lot of draftees in the rebuild (2015 draft) will be around 23 years old
The next years players need to play

At worst we will bring in around 5 players about 25 years old

If all this happens we will have a much better balanced list in 2020 and that will make a massive difference to our overall performance
I reckon many are looking only at Daisy, Murph and Simmo as your older brigade and moving on one each year rather than looking at it as 6 players which are 30+. You need to move on 2 per year over 3 years instead.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I reckon many are looking only at Daisy, Murph and Simmo as your older brigade and moving on one each year rather than looking at it as 6 players which are 30+. You need to move on 2 per year over 3 years instead.

Agree. I always assess List Management on strategy over emotion. Just can’t see us keeping that many over 30 players and Jones Murphy Curnow Kruezer have contracts

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
The worst thing that can happen to a listen is being forcedto play duds like Lang. Ed Curnow is nowhere near the end. Kreuzer doesn’t have one year left. No way. They will stagger leaving nicely enough as it is. Simmo this year.Dale and Murph next year. Ed and Kreuzer the year after. No reason at all to delist Thomas prematurely. You’re not being logical Soap. You’ve complained all year about our lack of depth and a guy who clearly can play next year is suddenly not needed. Makes zero sense. I have confidence theywill see the light and give him another deal.

Sep 3, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
The AFL industry is too quick to quit players once they have turned 30.

Many players have shown they can go well into their 30s.

Many get delisted when they are still performing very well.

Look at other sports around the world. Some dont hit their peak till post 30.

I do agree we need to stagger the delistings so we dont have a mass exodus of experience in one hit. Just hope its on merit as well as purely just what number their birth certificate says.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
The worst thing that can happen to a listen is being forcedto play duds like Lang. Ed Curnow is nowhere near the end. Kreuzer doesn’t have one year left. No way. They will stagger leaving nicely enough as it is. Simmo this year.Dale and Murph next year. Ed and Kreuzer the year after. No reason at all to delist Thomas prematurely. You’re not being logical Soap. You’ve complained all year about our lack of depth and a guy who clearly can play next year is suddenly not needed. Makes zero sense. I have confidence theywill see the light and give him another deal.

100% disagree Windows. The depth I’m looking for comes from the young players developing and have a strong core group of 23-28 year olds. That’s our major issue at the moment. Not the 30 plus age group

I can’t see many of our young players being delisted this year.

Re: Kruezer & Curnow I Hope not but I could see Kruezer especially slowing down quickly. He’s one decent injury from the end. Hope not but very possible.

IMO 2020 is when the young group need to take over and the older players start to become depth. I hope we recruit so well that players like Murphy aren’t automatic best 22.

JMO

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I’ll be amazed and bitterly disappointed if we don’t offer Daisy a contract for 2020.

He certainly deserves one.
Yep and you’re not expressing emotion because you emotionally want him to stay. You’re expressing emotion at what would represent stupidity. Right?

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I’ll be amazed and bitterly disappointed if we don’t offer Daisy a contract for 2020.

He certainly deserves one.
Yep and you’re not expressing emotion because you emotionally want him to stay. You’re expressing emotion at what would represent stupidity. Right?

Simpson is arguably my all-time favorite Carlton player and I think he should retire.

So no, I'd say my opinion that Daisy should stay isn't a result of any emotional attachment to the player.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton

If you want to have a civil discussion about LM Windows I’m all for it but if you want to twist and dig at people don’t bother engaging me in it.

Last edited:

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
100% disagree Windows. The depth I’m looking for comes from the young players developing and have a strong core group of 23-28 year olds. That’s our major issue at the moment. Not the 30 plus age group

I can’t see many of our young players being delisted this year.

Re: Kruezer & Curnow I Hope not but I could see Kruezer especially slowing down quickly. He’s one decent injury from the end. Hope not but very possible.

IMO 2020 is when the young group need to take over and the older players start to become depth. I hope we recruit so well that players like Murphy aren’t automatic best 22.

JMO
So if you only get Martin and Ellis this year do you have enough depth? No. You’d want to be super confident of getting 4-5 in that group to do away with Thomas. And I’d be stunned if we got that many. Even more so, we are already losing one small defender. We hope Doc comes back but gee you wouldn’t want to bank on it. We hope willo will come back but gee you wouldn’t want to bank on it. Ellis has shown he needs to play wing, not half back. Who are we SO sure about playing small defender for us next year that we can do away with Thomas, on a 350k contract? If he ends up playing a lot of VFL because Doc and Willo kill it, then great. But again, tell me the players you want to keep instead of Thomas. Lang? Kerr? Lebois? Lobbe? Garlett? Schumaker? Fasolo? Simmo is gone. We have one spare spot already. That’s nine. I didn’t list Phillips because there’s a (poor but I’ll leave it) argument to keep him as a backup. You want to keep these guys because of....their age?? I’m sure none of the above play 10 games next year. They are very poor backups.

We clearly 1000 percent disagree on this. And will remain in disagreement.

Iamcarlton

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2015
Up North
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Cubs , Penguins
I think Casboult is a good example of why Thomas she be offered another contract.

Most of us, and probably most inside the club, thought Cas would barely play this year. He was nothing more than last resort depth type of a guy. But a couple of early injuries happen and he gets a chance and he doesn't just take it with both hands, he rips your whole bloody arm off and goes and has a career year.

Doc and Willo both have injury issues and if Simpson does retire I think Thomas will be invaluable for 1 more year. Even if he is just depth ala Casboult, he's an injury or 2 away from being a fulltime starter again.
Agree Coops assuming Simpson retires and one would hope that our list management team isn't planning our defensive smalls around both Docherty and Williamson given the uncertainty of their fitness so Thomas makes sense .
However leaves me thinking if Thomas isn't offered a new contract that we have younger possibly better version of Thomas locked in for next year .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back