Analysis 2019 List Management Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Were there a decent incumbent - if we had a young Nankervis/Lycett on our list, of age to play ones and not vegetate in the twos - Kruezer would be under far more pressure for his position than he is. He's not got time working in his favour anymore. He's 31.

It's a pretty big IF concerning how many games he plays per season from this point on, and if he cannot manage more than 15 games a year for 3 years he would be in a lot more trouble than he is, best clearance player or not.

I love Kruezer but vital now we get another good Ruck that can step up. He’s a year to year proposition and has on going knee issues. Not writing him off yet but we need to be prepared

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
Dunno if anyone noticed, but Kyle Dunkley was pretty impressive when he came on last Sunday.
We still haven't seen Joshy De in action yet, but I'm hoping we didn't back the wrong horse....free hit at a 19yo kid who has shown massive upside over the past 12 months.
Can't say I'm terribly impressed with SOS's lower/rookie picks in recent years (apart from Gibbo) but hopefully I'm proven wrong.
I wasn't really impressed by him tbh

rog1995

Cancelled
Mar 26, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Just moving this across to the List Management topic.

I've been told now twice by someone with ties to the club that Daisy won't be offered a deal for 2020 and Simpson will retire at some stage this year. Murphy will definitely play on. This person doesn't say much but when he does I listen.

He told me about LeBois getting another year last year when most said he wouldn't.

Club is very confident on some recruits for 2020 and will bring in number of "ready made" players between 23-26 years of age from other clubs. I was confident that we would make around 5-6 changes this year but could be as many as 10 depending on who we can get across. We are heavily into a number of players and have been extremely active and are offering good money. Expect any draftees to be late picks.

No idea about coach but definitely an experienced coach.

B70 & Shmurph3 may know better but that's what I have been told.
Thanks for sharing.

Foucault1989

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Has a contract so I’m not including him. I’ve only counted players out of contract
How the hell does Polson have a contract for next year? We talk about a lot of underperforming young players on the list, but Polson is the biggest dud of them all. How he was gifted so many games on the back of absolutely nothing astounds me. Classic example of one of Bolton's Boys. He just has no footy nous and runs around like a headless chook.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Deluca Seems ‘neat’ from the footage I watched earlier. A two way runner. I liked that he pushed back hard defensively a few times. Wouldn’t be against him playing this week.

I watched him live the other day for the first time and looks good. Seems tough and has a good workrate. No issue getting the hard ball and has some pace from the stoppage. Kicking looks awkward but effective.

At 24 next year I can see why we got him.

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
Polson's contract was a bad one, at the time it looked iffy. All well and good that they back a player but it was a strange one. In saying that I don't think we will struggle to find players to delist and you never know with Polson, might even start playing decent football next year but that's a bit of a long shot.

I would be playing DeLuca. I think he would bring more to the side than Dow and possible even Gibbons if he can do the same but also kick well. Might bring a hardness at the ball which we lack.

TDK could take over from Kreuzer next year. I think he would have played games this year if it wasn't for that long term injury. I think the timing of TDK coming on and Kreuzer going out will work well for us.

If Thomas goes it's because we have had an avalanche of mature age talent come to us and we are unable to pay his contract. He's one of our best players week in week out, seems to be in real good shape, isn't super old and plays a role we don't have much security in. Can't see it happening.

If Fasolo is contracted beyond this year then that is appalling list management. Horrible decision. Surely he isn't. But then again look at the Polson one.

List management wise from what I can see will likely go something like this:

Phillips - Only stays if we have no incoming ruckmen.
Schumacher - Only stays if we have no incoming defenders.
Marchbank - Stays on a longer contract.
Thomas - should get a one year contract, but I guess you can't rule out a trade if someone really wants him and it leads us to getting a crucial player. Most likely stays.
Lang - unlikely to get another contract.
Silvagni - Should get another contract.
Cuningham - Should get another contract unless there is a trade scenario.
Goddard - I think he will be promoted to the senior list.
Garlett - Delisted most likely unless a miracle happens and he has a burst of VFL form and makes the senior side.
Pickett - already gone.
DeLuca - Likely to be there next year.
Simpson - Feel he may retire but he's still playing and not missing much, I think it will depend who comes in.
Casboult - Definitely stays unless there is some serious trade interest.
Jones - Same as Casboult but I feel he wont be going anywhere.
Cottrell - Think he will be there next season.
Kennedy - Has saved his bacon and will be there next year on this form.
Kreuzer - Signed up.
Lobbe - Won't get another contract surely.
Gibbons - Should be there next season.
Newman - Will be there next season.
Kerr - unlikely to be there next season.

It's annoying we have contracted players (potentially contracted players) like Polson and Fasolo who are stuck on our list. I guess if their contracts were frontloaded we could still delist them and it wouldn't cost us much. Probably 6-8 players going out but again, it depends what we can get with the resources we have.

Doro

Collective Narcissism Support Group
Sep 22, 2011
62 West Wallaby St.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Wensleydale Wanderers
I'm not sure I get delisting both of Phillips and Lobbe, it would mean scrambling around for another mature age back up for the Northern Blues and occasional game in the ones.

Nov 5, 2012
Canberra
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
There can be only 1
I think he has been good. He was also a raw player when he arrived. Got a haircut this year but probably not quite ready yet. IMO deserves another year and if can keep improving we have another good tall running defender. Like to see him become more attacking in his play and use his good left foot more

Nov 5, 2012
Canberra
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
There can be only 1
He's too hit and miss. Imagine if we made a final and he served up the dog s**t he did last weekend.
I think that he needed a run in the seconds just to get all the 'synapses' aligned. He did perform better as the game went on.

Sep 3, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
He's too hit and miss. Imagine if we made a final and he served up the dog s**t he did last weekend.
I'll let him off last week. Looked like Rance in his first year down back.

Wait till Doc is back out there to be the general. Jones will be a match winning defender.

you - and others - would have so much to complain about it would be just as good for you as if we'd won..........

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I think he was just out of touch last week - a bit rusty coming back from concussion... he still does a few dumb things but when in form he is in the all Australian discussion.

Up until his concussion he would have been Top 2 in our B&F. He was in great form. His last 2-3 years have been of a high standard and very consistent. I remember SOS having bad days. It happens.

IMO a vital part of our defence for at least the next 3 years now. The key pieces are now all in place.

passmark

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 26, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Terrific decision.

The guy was just about our best player before concussion.

People will criticise Jones' occasional bad game a s proof he's no good for the rest of his career because they can't come to grips with how good he's become.

The critics on here point to his game last week, they must have missed how s**t everyone else was for 3/4's.

Blutopia

All Australian
Nov 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I'll let him off last week. Looked like Rance in his first year down back.

Wait till Doc is back out there to be the general. Jones will be a match winning defender.
Rance in his first few years did similarly dumb things... Jones will have more good games than bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back