Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't read all posts in this thread, but a lot of talk on front-ended contracts. Contracted players asking to be traded is making a mockery of clubs ability to manage salary caps.

Say Hill was on a $3m, 5yr front ended deal when he signed from Hawks.
Year 1 $750k
Year 2 $750K
Year 3 $500K
Year 4 $500k
Year 5 $500K

Average of $600K per year. But after year 2, having being paid $1.5m, we should be entitled to get $300K back as if it was a flat contrcat of $600K pay per year.

Im sure AFLPA would be in uproar, but something needs to change. I'm all for freeing up player movement, but dont think enabling players to leave 2 years into a 5 yr front ended contract is what it was intended for.

Could do worse then have Aish on the wing
I was about to get angry at your suggestion but just found out he's only 23. Seems like he's been around for ages. Would still prefer Acres if I'm honest

I think we would need to trust the coach with this one, obviously been around him for a couple of years & if we’re into him it will be on Jlo’s recommendation I reckon.
They may already have a relationship as he played a fair bit back.

No player can change clubs outside of the trade period. You on the other hand may change jobs tomorrow, next month, mid-contract or at the end of the contract. McCarthy couldn't just start playing for us and forego his contract. He either accepted the AFLs rules or never plays.

Well yes, the AFL has its rules for when people can literally switch jobs but just because the window is smaller doesn’t mean the decisions aren’t the same. I’ve flagged with workplaces before that I would be leaving in a few months. I didn’t even need to give a reason. It’s up to the organisation to work on a succession plan. Hill has pretty much done the same thing.

Hypothetical:

Daniher to Sydney, 5&9 to Freo, Hill and future 2nd to Bombers.

Maybe just wishful thinking.
I really like you guys, and rate Hill highly. In fact, I was really pissed when I heard Saints split 6, but in terms of needs, this offer is worse than what we have rejected from Sydney.

Taberners our best forward now?....

Wow talk about miscued standards ... with a grand total of 18 goals as his highest goal tally .. EVER.. in a season ,cam Mac could be excused for wondering exactly what it is that grants you such accolades as “freos best forward” status , especially as it couldn’t be goals created either as taberners goal assist stats place him last amongst all our fwds .

So please enlighten me in what makes tabs our best forward again??
Judge him if he plays 20 games in 2020

I really like you guys, and rate Hill highly. In fact, I was really pi**ed when I heard Saints split 6, but in terms of needs, this offer is worse than what we have rejected from Sydney.
Yeah that trade hypothetical wasn't amazing. Interested to know whether you think Bombers would at all be interested in Hill?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we should just trade hill for whatever saints (new employer )offers then??

Way to miss a point and way to show your ignorance on the matter

Further to this I take it you don’t have much of an idea of the legalities of contracting?

-for a start you sign a contract to supply labour for a certain aspect of a job then decide the contracts not worth enough so you want to break it and go done the road guess what??- your liable for losses incurred to that company that hired you eg costs of getting in a new contractor... it’s not simply a case of “having a chat to hr”- lol

No, if have a chat to the Saints and if I’m not happy with the agreement I’d have a chat to the dogs or the cats or north to see if they can tick everyone’s boxes.

I’ve known heaps of people who have broken contracts, from executive to pleb level in different industries and none of them have been made liable for losses incurred. Is that very common? It seems like a good way to not attract talent.

Well the money for a start .
The selective nature of the available workplaces.
The perks that come with the job.
The seasonal nature of the work- tho it’s getting closer to 12 mth a year job.

The IMPACT changing jobs can have on both their current employer and new employer-both physical (performance) and mental(IP)

I’d liken it more to ceo/high management position in a tier 1 company rather than your local plumber(which I’m assuming your more getting at)

Look I’m not advocating players be owned and circumstances do certainly change , like most things tho they need to be treated on an individual basis.

Bryce Gibbs signed a four year deal, yet not even halfway through a heavily front loaded contract he decides he needs to return “home” because of mostly his wife.

Brad hill sign a 3 extension,ALSO heavily front loaded not even 3 years in(he requested a trade last year) he decides he wants back to Melbourne, due to “family” eg his girlfriend, not fiancé not wife but just his gf.
All of his immediate family is where he is now Perth (the whole reason he came back in the first place)

Tom Papley triggered a clause got a further four years yet not even 1 year into it he decides he needs to be back in Melbourne... where incidentally Carlton and big fat pay rise awaits..

You get the idea... players want to change their contracts for more money if they can get it-great good for them so does that mean when they perform poorly after signing a new extension clubs can then renegotiate on their terms??

Tell me another industry where such power discrepancy happens between employee and employer??

Those are particulars of the AFL that don’t apply to other industries, and the first few examples you gave – none of that makes the AFL special. It’s still a workplace where people are employed, invested in, and leave for more opportunity. Sure you can’t just quit and start playing somewhere else, but you flag your intentions or wishes as anyone else would.

But I was just saying that contracts get broken all the time, especially by the younger generations. Obviously I’ve scratched a scab.

Can someone clarify if this Simon Lethlean fellow from St Kilda is the same Simon Lethlean who put his plonker into fellow AFL staffer and had to resign? Im just checking the moral standards of the people we’re having to deal with.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yes, I believe so....they also have gubby (aka grubby) Allen on their staff. Allegedly shady individuals but if you know anything about the history of the st Kilda area, shady is an apt description.

Last edited:
Can someone clarify if this Simon Lethlean fellow from St Kilda is the same Simon Lethlean who put his plonker into fellow AFL staffer and had to resign? Im just checking the moral standards of the people we’re having to deal with.

Same bloke.

Gubby Allen same bloke who hide players that used drugs and then lied about it.

Got found out and lost his job.

Their juvenile male fan base on big footy seem to celebrate it by referring to an imaginary oversized penis as being Lethlean's trump card in trade negotiations

Remove this Banner Ad

Back