Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

Players have so much power in AFL contract mobility because they are the rare commodity in this little system. The better the player the rarer a commodity they are. On the flipside the strugglers are much more replaceable and so don't get to dictate terms as much.

Scarcity and desirability are the crux of the matter and the area to look for when comparing it to other workplaces.

They’re not required to trade the players but often they do to avoid having an annoyed player on the list who doesn’t want to be there.

I don’t find anything wrong with BHill wanting to break his contract. And I personally still don’t see it as much different to other work places, despite the bells and whistles.
Can't help you then Sweetback, but I have given half a dozen aspects to footballers contracts that are quite different to virtually every other industry.

Also, you talk about Hill breaking his contract, which isn't actually what is happening, and as discussed above, probably means he exits the AFL industry. He has requested a trade. It will happen if a suitable trade is found and the club agrees. Clubs often do not agree, and at that point a player may choose to break their contract, but that won't end well. Nobody has said there is anything wrong with him doing that. You seem to be implying that there is something wrong with the club not accepting whatever offer his next employer puts on the table???

I’m ready to get some s**t moving.

Hill, 22

Menegola, 14,17,36
17 and 22 are basically the same - both get chewed up by Henry bid, which most experts say will come around the 13-15 range. So the deal you propose is 14 + 36 + Menagola.

Not sure what all the fuss about Menagola is. I also would prefer Acres.

Aish was in pies best 22 when fit.
Acres wasn’t in the saints

Aish is also a year younger
Acres played 19 games for St Kilda missed a few due to injury/Gastro.

Was played out of position a bit in 2019 - often playing back up ruckman. His average disposals dropped down to 16.5 per game in 2019. Averaged 21.5 per game (2018) and 20.3 per game (2017) - total of 75 games since 2014. I don’t see why we wouldn’t include him in trade for BHill. Not really a wingman but is good in the guts. If not him then McIntosh but Menagola is past it for mine. Had his best couple of years around 2016/17.

With some astute trading St Kilda should be able to get the pieces together to offer something like; 10 + 24 + Acres

WB (13, 32) > Geelong (17, 24)
WB (24) > St Kilda (Bruce)
St Kilda (12, 18) > Port Adelaide (10, Ryder, Howard)
St Kilda (2020 2nd) > Sydney (Jones)
St Kilda (2020 4th) > Richmond (Butler)
St Kilda (10, 24, Acres) > Fremantle (BHill)

A pick for Stevens would help them and some sweeteners (pick swaps) in one or two of the other trades.

Acres played 19 games for St Kilda missed a few due to injury/Gastro.

Was played out of position a bit in 2019 - often playing back up ruckman. His average disposals dropped down to 16.5 per game in 2019. Averaged 21.5 per game (2018) and 20.3 per game (2017) - total of 75 games since 2014. I don’t see why we wouldn’t include him in trade for BHill. Not really a wingman but is good in the guts. If not him then McIntosh but Menagola is past it for mine. Had his best couple of years around 2016/17.

With some astute trading St Kilda should be able to get the pieces together to offer something like; 10 + 24 + Acres

WB (13, 32) > Geelong (17, 24)
WB (24) > St Kilda (Bruce)
St Kilda (12, 18) > Port Adelaide (10, Ryder, Howard)
St Kilda (2020 2nd) > Sydney (Jones)
St Kilda (2020 4th) > Richmond (Butler)
St Kilda (10, 24, Acres) > Fremantle (BHill)

A pick for Stevens would help them and some sweeteners (pick swaps) in one or two of the other trades.
Agreed. I see Menegola as equal to Acres and McIntosh but is older. Menadue is worse than those three but would come cheaper. I'm not sure why we aren't pursuing Acres as part of the deal (unless of course we are just acting like we don't want him so that Saints simply use him as steak knives)

Agreed. I see Menegola as equal to Acres and McIntosh but is older. Menadue is worse than those three but would come cheaper. I'm not sure why we aren't pursuing Acres as part of the deal (unless of course we are just acting like we don't want him so that Saints simply use him as steak knives)

Menegola has more upside..."As we play the pianola and we sing with Menegola under the Freo pagola, a sweet melody..."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t see the reason to take Menagola back, other than a salary dump to allow Brad Hill to go to Geelong.

I wouldn’t mind having West Coasts first as part of the deal. 14, West Coasts first, something 20s and Menagola (salary dump). Maybe that’s overs.

If the club are thinking about adding experienced players to play in absence of Langdon and Hill, then it is likely that they are trying to get players who can run the field all day.

As a consequence Menegola and Menadue wpuld be higher priority than Acres and McIntosh because the first two have massive endurance tanks but the latter two do not.

Acres
Menadue
Menegola
McIntosh

Gross.

Maybe but they can add experience that can help set the club up for finals whilst the youngsters develop.

All the permiership teams of recent years (and possibly always) have had players that if in our team people would classify them as "spuds", but the reality is you can't truly have every line be superstars because of the salary cap.

Maybe but they can add experience that can help set the club up for finals whilst the youngsters develop.

All the permiership teams of recent years (and possibly always) have had players that if in our team people would classify them as "spuds", but the reality is you can't truly have every line be superstars because of the salary cap.

I think we have enough role players. None of those blokes are going to improve the list or even provide leadership.

If we have cooked this rebuild then tear it down and do it properly. The club sacked our coach as 4 years out of finals is too long.

I am confident none of those 4 are helping us get back to finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back