Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

That must be everyone! I have never responded to or commented on any of his posts and somehow he’s blocked me!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
That *er hasn’t spoken to me since 1993 when there was a threat of some sort, maybe involving his death & the burning down of his house.
My memory is sketchy.

Lol wtf? Hawks fans were filthy with the buddy compensation. They traded Hill for picks needed to chase O'Meara. Sorry but your comment is so off the mark it's ridiculous
I shouldn't have mentioned what fans on bigfooty thought, in the end that doesn't matter. I only did because i'm bemused at the defeatism and cry baby attitudes in here about how our attempts to play "hardball"again didn't come off this time and how is somehow reason for a) bell, our GM, being sacked b) not renewing memberships c) us being destined to being cellar dwellers for the next few years (all genuine reactions within this thread) purely because we got a future second and change instead of a future first. And i meant Hawthorn, the organisation, don't go around trying to extract the absolute maximum from deals or worry about over paying for people they think they need (like Omeara who they paid the absolute earth for with a bung knee at the time), they stick to a plan and back themselves in.

Let’s all just wait till tomorrow & see what belly has for us... keep the faith...

Still reckon we could sneak Dog’s 13 if saints can some how get there Hands on it...

10 & 13 would be a great result

Acres, Aish and Menadue on top of Colyer and Conca last year, on top of mature age pickups like Schultz and Bewley. We’re slowly filling out our list with C Graders who have an absolute ceiling of B Grade.

We should only recruit one of those first three if any. If we’re so keen on a Menadue, forget the others. Top end talent needs to be the focus. Hill is top end, two firsts is top end. It should be one or the other. Pick 10 + scraps is too compromising, unless those scraps can buy us another first rounder somehow. Bell needs to have clarity on this. Big picture is our list has far too many role players and not enough top end right now.

We’re heading in the right direction I reckon. Cerra and Brayshaw are proof of that. Like someone reminded me recently, the Weags won a flag with three spuds in their midfield (Hutch, Masto and Redden) and I’d even say Sheed is B grade (excluding one kick), so role playing spuds can get you there.

Conversely, look at allllllll of the A grade talent at the Pies and Giants and they haven’t got the bickies recently.

This year had 68.8% kicking efficiency which is pretty good but low production with only 5.6 effective kicks per game

Ryan 80.6% (11.8) - how good is this guy?
Wilson 69.5% (9.9)
Cerra 65.2 (6.1)
Langdon 60% (8.7)
BHill 59.4% (10.6)
Disposal/kick efficiency is dead-set the most useless stat in the AFL. Evident by Hill (known as a pretty decent to good kick) having a lower rating than Langdon (known as one of the worst in the comp)

Acres, Aish and Menadue on top of Colyer and Conca last year, on top of mature age pickups like Schultz and Bewley. We’re slowly filling out our list with C Graders who have an absolute ceiling of B Grade.

We should only recruit one of those first three if any. If we’re so keen on a Menadue, forget the others. Top end talent needs to be the focus. Hill is top end, two firsts is top end. It should be one or the other. Pick 10 + scraps is too compromising, unless those scraps can buy us another first rounder somehow. Bell needs to have clarity on this. Big picture is our list has far too many role players and not enough top end right now.
Suspect the list management strategy is to not to be stuck with another 7 or 8 18 year olds on our list come pre-season. We are already pushing toward having the youngest list in the comp - I think we've seen with a bunch of other clubs what happens when you are way too young. As much as they may be uninspiring fringe players they are ok depth (can at least play a role) and still young enough (23yo) to get a fair bit better.

There aren't really any A grade options available for us to trade in and with new coach and admin it's probably better to stabilise a bit first to make the process easier. We'll get to hit the draft and grab at least 3 quality 1st round players (Henry plus 2-4 more). And likely add some speculative cat Bs with Butters and Thomas. And we've also built some great currency for next year's draft which we can use to trade in players (might be an A grader up for grabs then), take at least one quality player before NGA bids and grab our NGA players (who will add speed and skills).

In isolation I'd be questioning adding 3 guys like Aish, Acres and Menadue but from an overall list and demographics perspective it makes a bit of sense.

Disposal/kick efficiency is dead-set the most useless stat in the AFL. Evident by Hill (known as a pretty decent to good kick) having a lower rating than Langdon (known as one of the worst in the comp)
Yeah you can get something out of it if you look at it alongside other stats but I really wish they'd released the kick retention stats publicly. The good 'ol eye test helps as well. I think Acres is a relatively tidy kick. I also think Aish and Menadue are as well. Aish was probably the best kick in his draft class but hasn't seemed to carry that through his AFL career.

Aish is not coming imo, but I’d take Acres & Menadue. I feel that around Fyfe & Mundy he will excel, he’s never had that type of role model to run around with & learn from. Particularly with Mundy finishing up soon, there is a role there.

Menadue is worth a punt, he has speed & endurance & just hasn’t been given the opportunity, 2 years with a trigger after 1 for a third to sure him up. He played our ground well this season & I think it suits him being a fast track.

Absolutely agree on Colyer, Schultz & Bewley & I think Belly will be thinking tonight how he can turn a couple of those future seconds into a teen pick, if he hasn’t already done so.

I like Conca & the role he plays for us, very unheralded, but that is Richmond all over, play your role.

I think the idea is to take 3 underachieving young players to hopefully get 2 solid role players to play wing/flanks. Not sure what pick 50+ would be like to cover the wing roles in 2020.

What are these three players tanks like? Hilly and langdon certainly covered some km's this year. Would be great if Wilson built a tank to cover wing. Even a fit S.Hill would make a huge difference.

It may have been posted already, but Channel 10's story on the Brad Hill trade also included an airport interview with James Aish;

Did you notice in this the saints say they have put a couple of options to freo and 2020 1st isn’t necessarily off the table.

Could there be another twist in this again! If Bruce can’t be traded, they will need the second round pick for Jones. Not getting my hopes up again for a massive trade win though!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suspect the list management strategy is to not to be stuck with another 7 or 8 18 year olds on our list come pre-season. We are already pushing toward having the youngest list in the comp - I think we've seen with a bunch of other clubs what happens when you are way too young. As much as they may be uninspiring fringe players they are ok depth (can at least play a role) and still young enough (23yo) to get a fair bit better.

This is the reason why I don't really see the point of trading unders, or even "fairly" for Hill, considering the contribution he can provide on field for a developing list for two years. It's not even like we were a rabble last season, before injuries hit we could easily compete and even beaten a number of the top teams. The situation doesn't call for us to take whatever we can and be happy with it, i.e. it's a foregone conclusion we will not be competitive so may as well collect as many draft pics as we can.

I'm not saying it's an expectation or even "likely" we finish top 4 next year. But it's not an impossibility. I think expectations and ratings of our list have been lowered to protect Longmuir but it's not necessary. Two first rounders is to me the only deal that's worth losing a top 3 player for us with a 2 year contract. pick 10 + future 2nd with sweeteners is worse than walking away.

There aren't really any A grade options available for us to trade in and with new coach and admin it's probably better to stabilise a bit first to make the process easier. We'll get to hit the draft and grab at least 3 quality 1st round players (Henry plus 2-4 more). And likely add some speculative cat Bs with Butters and Thomas. And we've also built some great currency for next year's draft which we can use to trade in players (might be an A grader up for grabs then), take at least one quality player before NGA bids and grab our NGA players (who will add speed and skills).

In isolation I'd be questioning adding 3 guys like Aish, Acres and Menadue but from an overall list and demographics perspective it makes a bit of sense.
We’re trading out Langdon and Hill. somehow need to balance that. If we traded out say, a Michie then those coming in aren’t necessary. There’s nothing Remotely close to Hill’s grade that could replace him. But Acres, Menadue and McIntosh would be handy on the flip side. Actually not that bad. Acres probably needs a sea change and ignite his career.
Menadue could be a smart investment. But don’t think we ll get him on the last day? And no word about Mcintosh?
It’s a worry that first round picks is all we get for Langdon and Hill. Have to somehow develop or a Valente/Cerra better be ready next year.

I never really noticed Acres, but the way I’ve seen him described by saints fans I’m kind of mentally equating him to Tucker in terms of not really clear how good he can be, has some good attributes and sometimes looks the goods, other times is anonymous.

Is that a fair assessment?
I asked my wife, who's a staunch sainter. She simply replied that he's a gun. Take that any way you want

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Did you notice in this the saints say they have put a couple of options to freo and 2020 1st isn’t necessarily off the table.

Could there be another twist in this again! If Bruce can’t be traded, they will need the second round pick for Jones. Not getting my hopes up again for a massive trade win though!
i've kept an eye on Acres after hearing freo were keen on him last year, Freo have played this beautifully because i reckon there is genuine interest there and by showing none of it we will be getting him for free! If freo showed this card at the start we'd be forking out for him so this is a big win for Bell cause he isn't anywhere as bad as people are making out. & like i said before, will flourish alongside some mentorship from 2 of the best big bodied mids the game has ever seen in Fyfe and Mundy!

i've also watched a few highlights packages of Aish and really like what i see from him too, massive upgrade on Masten/Menadue!

Anyone else think Melb might bid on henry at 8, now that they've got it?
They were after Jamie Elliot and are now looking to fill that position through the draft...

Could be. In that case it changes things. Then I would pick two of Robertson, Sharp and Jackson and other less obvious ones. Flanders won't get that far but he would be a good get. The only concern I have with Robertson, is Valente and the fact that we have just lost two speedy wingmen. Robertson is quicker than he looks but he isn't an elite outside type. Not to my amateur eye anyway.
If Valente rules out Robertson, Acres possibly rules out Rivers.

At one point it looked like Acres was an emerging gun. I'm not sure what changed that opinion, injuries likely played a part.

If Valente rules out Robertson, Acres possibly rules out Rivers.

That then leaves... Stephens, Sharp, Taylor, Jackson oh yeah and Liam Henry.

To be honest may not work like that and we get the best available player with our first pick... may be Ash, or Kemp ..

The future looks so bright I gotta wear shades!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back