Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

After thinking about it a bit, I have to say I don’t like having Acres in the deal.
I don’t know enough about Acres, but I’ll take the consensus in Bigfooty that he’s a 2nd or 3rd round equivalent.
But he does not seem like a player we needed at the moment.
I feel the only reason he is in the picture is so Bell can save face that he won the deal ( without involving their 2020 first round). Oh look, we got a pick 3 (2 1st round) equivalent in points! We win!
I’ll admit St Kilda player their hand really well, and we seem to be only able to get what they offered, not what we wanted.

To be honest, I think we should just play hard back. As a supporter, I see a no deal as a win.
If we really rate Acres, offer them our 3rd round pick for him separately.
Then turn around and demand their future 1st as part of their deal for Hill.
Hill is a 3 time premiership player. He showed leadership on field when half our team have already thrown in the tower mid game. If St Kilda is not willing to recognized that and give up his due worth, I’ll say just walk.
How dare Bell do everything he can to broker the best deal possible for freo, "he's just trying to save face" yeah what an idiot he should just retire already can't stand these blokes who give 100% in trying to improve the outcome for our club hey what a joke he is

How dare Bell do everything he can to broker the best deal possible for freo, "he's just trying to save face" yeah what an idiot he should just retire already can't stand these blokes who give 100% in trying to improve the outcome for our club hey what a joke he is

I’m not saying that. Bell has done ok for us so far. List management wise, he’s done a great deal for us the past 2 years.
I do question why is Acres thrown into the deal out of the blue. It’s St Kilda’s way of giving us points without needing to give up their 2020 first round pick. I’ll argue we’ll do better with their 2020 1st rounder (giving something back) than to take Acres.

Trade period is becoming a media driven circus. It's like every mooted trade must come off or someone has failed. Last time I checked, the trade has to satisfy three parties - the player, his current club and his putative one. St Kilda can pay overs or we keep Hill, end of story. Media, bigfooty *heads and Hill's missus can suck it up.

I’m confused here why are reports saying pick 10 and future 2nd end Acres? I will “spew” if that’s what is agreed? This makes zero sense to me

Surely it’s
Freo :
pick 10
St Kilda 2020 first rnd
and Acres

St Kilda : Brad Hill ( maybe 2020, 2nd rnd going back ?)

Otherwise he stays?

I’m confused here why are reports saying pick 10 and future 2nd end Acres? I will “spew” if that’s what is agreed? This makes zero sense to me

Surely it’s
Freo :
pick 10
St Kilda 2020 first rnd
and Acres

St Kilda : Brad Hill ( maybe 2020, 2nd rnd going back ?)

Otherwise he stays?
That is roughly correct.

Pick 10, 2020 2nd, pick 58 or 68, maybe Acres for Hill is what has been reported.

The AFL 2019 Prospectus had Acres as St Kilda’s fourth best player at the start of the year.

But also something like the 14th worst set shot in the league for a mid-forward.

He has played at a club that has not made finals and he hasn't hit top ten in the Trevor Barker Medal in any year.

You never know, coming home and the change of environment might be the making of Acres.

A clean slate and the need to prove himself may be exactly what he needs.

It looks like most supporters on the Saints board are disappointed to lose him.

What I’m not sure of is where he fits in.

Consensus on the Saints board seems to be that he is an inside mid that was played everywhere but there, but to me you don’t play a big 193cm player elsewhere if they are a gun at the coal face, he must be lacking something crucial.

At least he has potential and is young, and is ultimately the steak knives so if he doesn’t succeed it’s no problem, if he does we’ll have done well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The description on the AFL website news about Acres "A powerful athelete but his foot skills and decision making can let him down on occassion"

How many of these f***ing spuds do we need on our list?! I'd rather do the trade minus Acres even if it means taking unders

Acres is ready to go boom. Constantly played out of position at the Saints. 191cm big midfielder that can run. :thumbsu:
Aish played in good sides. Can play wing, defense and midfield. :thumbsu:

Both contracts tied to Longmuir's tenure. Backing himself in. :thumbsu::thumbsu:

You guys probably won’t think or know it yet but you’ve won the trade getting Acres into the deal. Absolute gun who has been totally mismanaged over his career. I genuinely think he will become one of the best wingers in the game over the next few years & overtake Hill comfortably. He’s just about to hit his straps. I’m personally gutted that we are losing him.

"While the West Australian hadn't been seeking a move home, the Saints have reportedly told Acres he was unlikely to receive a contract extension beyond 2020 and would find it tough to crack into the senior line-up with Hill and Sydney speedster Zak Jones incoming.

He is a powerful athlete but his foot skills and decision-making can let him down on occasion"

For anyone that thinks he improves our best 22. He's considered fringe at the Saints. The Saints. I'd rather a pick than Acres

"While the West Australian hadn't been seeking a move home, the Saints have reportedly told Acres he was unlikely to receive a contract extension beyond 2020 and would find it tough to crack into the senior line-up with Hill and Sydney speedster Zak Jones incoming.

He is a powerful athlete but his foot skills and decision-making can let him down on occasion"

For anyone that thinks he improves our best 22. He's considered fringe at the Saints. The Saints. I'd rather a pick than Acres
On 450k this year as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back