Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I'm hoping we actuallu use the players where it best suits.

Acres is a midfielder, Blakely, Cerra and Brayshaw all mids...

we need a mix in there but hopefully we can use Mundy at HF a bit more/rotate with Fyfe and we may see Walters up there a bit more too

Aisha is a mid too imo.

Idea on how to upgrade our #10. What about GWS trading us their pick #6 for a bunch of our future picks. Then us trading them #10 once the bid on Green has happened?

edit - They are assured a top 10 player plus Green. We are assured two top 10 players before a bid on Henry happens. They'd probably want to do it with #7 though - which is probably still worth it for us.

Apparently Melbourne are trading pick 3 to GWS for 6 and a future first rounder ?

Idea on how to upgrade our #10. What about GWS trading us their pick #6 for a bunch of our future picks. Then us trading them #10 once the bid on Green has happened?

edit - They are assured a top 10 player plus Green. We are assured two top 10 players before a bid on Henry happens. They'd probably want to do it with #7 though - which is probably still worth it for us.
I loved it and couldnt think of why this wouldnt be done and then I realised, GWS would need to take the Henry gamble.

We'd hold 6, 7 and 10 temporarily and be comfortable there is no bid coming on Henry at 6/7. If a bid comes on Henry at 8 or 9 though, GWS lose pick 10 and get shafted...

I'm I getting this right

I loved it and couldnt think of why this wouldnt be done and then I realised, GWS would need to take the Henry gamble.

We'd hold 6, 7 and 10 temporarily and be comfortable there is no bid coming on Henry at 6/7. If a bid comes on Henry at 8 or 9 though, GWS lose pick 10 and get shafted...

I'm I getting this right
You trade #10 after the Green bid. So it'd probably be done before our #6 pick. Henry isn't being bid on before #6, and if he was we'd lose the #6, meaning they could still have #10.

edit - the only risk is the Henry bid coming before the Green bid at #8 or #9 but I don't see how that could possibly happen.

So post-trade our Best 22 is something like this:

Logue Hamling Ryan

Aish Pearce Wilson

Darcy Fyfe Conca

Acres Brayshaw Tucker

Walters Hogan Switta

Taberner Lobb Matera

Blakely Cerra Mundy Hughes*

*Shill if fit (or do we revert back to Hill now??)

With Cox, Duman, Banfield, Crowden and Dixon as OK depth.

That's before we get to see what our top 2 picks in the 2018 draft and 7, 10 and Henry in 2019 can produce.

Definitely need to be targeting outside run and another inside mid with 7 and 10 - plus we need a back-up ruck (probably not with 7 or 10 though).

Not a bad First 22, probably 6th-10th potential - so need to be icing the cake now (which is why I still like the Sturt draft from last year - a bit of x-factor).

Quoting you again because I'm in love with the idea and now I'm going to disappointed if it doesnt happen

We could get a free 4 pick upgrade out of this and end up with 6 and 7...

If I understand the machinations

1) We trade a future 1st for GWS pick 6
2) Green is bid on
3) Pick up a player at 6 and 7
4) Tell Melbourne and Carlton not to be campaigners
5) Trade 10 back to GWS

GWS keep their future 1st but have 10 instead of 3 - they may prefer losing the future 1st and getting 3.

The problem here is that Melbourne might feel slighted after not getting the GWS pick swap working and bid on Henry at 8.

You trade #10 after the Green bid (or at our pick at #6/#7 if it never comes). So it'd probably be done before our #6 pick. Henry isn't being bid on before #6, and if he was we'd lose the #6, meaning they could still have #10.
Would need old briztoon to confirm some rules here since he's expert but with live pick trading, I'm not sure if you're allowed to trade a pick if its not that pick - maybe it just needs to be your turn to trade.

Also need someone to confirm what the actual loophole was they closed, is it just draft night pick parking or can you pick park before then

I'm I getting this right

We assume the Green bid is coming first?

Step 1: GWS trade us pick 6 for a future first.

Step 2: Green is bid at pick 5.

Step 3: We use pick 6, pick 7

Step 4: We trade pick 10 for our future 1st back (after the green bid has come).

GWS lose 4 spots in the draft. They gain the ability to use late picks for Green. We gain 4 spots in the draft, avoid the Henry bid chewing up a pick.

It only falls down if Liam Henry is bid in the top 5. Or if Green is bid outside the top 10.

Also need someone to confirm what the actual loophole was they closed, is it just draft night pick parking or can you pick park before then
I think they closed the loop hole where you can't trade a pick out and then trade it back in (directly) later in the draft. Could be wrong but think this is only for live trading.

Step 4: We trade pick 10 for our future 1st back (after the green bid has come).

GWS lose 4 spots in the draft. They gain the ability to use late picks for Green. We gain 4 spots in the draft, avoid the Henry bid chewing up a pick.

It only falls down if Liam Henry is bid in the top 5. Or if Green is bid outside the top 10.
That's the awesome part, we'd just bid on him at 10, then trade them 10 anyway after the bid

I think they closed the loop hole where you can't trade a pick out and then trade it back in (directly) later in the draft. Could be wrong but think this is only for live trading.
Yeah, so you could trade back in a slightly later pick in the same draft (ie 10).

Someone needs to get this s**t to Belly, its genius

Draft year writeups on both Acres & Aish (and McCarthy as well)

I miss Emma’s comments on the draft picks always informative. Aish is going to be a really good pickup and Acres could be an astute pick as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, so you could trade back in a slightly later pick in the same draft (ie 10).

Someone needs to get this s**t to Belly, its genius
So GWS would have to weigh up wether they prefer
Pick 10 and future first or Pick 3?

If we can find enough points for them this year to match the green bid I reckon they would go for it. I think that's why they haven't already traded with Melbourne. Melbourne only have 3 and 8 and GWS have 6, 40, 59, 60.
Tricky part is we need the points as well. Richmond and North Melbourne have some handy picks if we are looking to downgrade.

The pipe dream would be to get 3 and 8 off Melbourne for 10, future first plus seconds. Then pass 3 on to GWS for 6 plus there future first

Got to the draft with 6,7,8 plus henry

Pick up Ash, Flanders and Kemp and watch this board burn

If we can find enough points for them this year to match the green bid I reckon they would go for it. I think that's why they haven't already traded with Melbourne. Melbourne only have 3 and 8 and GWS have 6, 40, 59, 60.
Tricky part is we need the points as well. Richmond and North Melbourne have some handy picks if we are looking to downgrade.

The pipe dream would be to get 3 and 8 off Melbourne for 10, future first plus seconds. Then pass 3 on to GWS for 6 plus there future first

Haha, definitely would be a pipedream...

Good in theory except Melbourne won't want future picks. The whole reason they are holding 8.

JLO know "Exactly" what Aish can do and knows "Exactly" where he will fill a need in the game plan that NOBODY on here knows yet!!

All the whinging is starting to pee me off

Who did we want ? Obviously Kelly but he didn't want to come. Who else were we supposed to get ????

FREO BIG FOOTY LIFE

SCENARIO 1

No trades done, lose 2 players, gain no new ones and go to the draft = Massive melts, how would they not get any players....burn bell at the stake

SCENARIO 2

Lose 2 players, but gain 2 experienced players that our new coach think fit in well with his plans. 2 picks in the top 10 to also get 2 guns in the draft = Massive Melts ...... those 2 players are not good enough and we should have got e first round picks instead of 2.....burn bell at the stake

Sigh

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Aish does have some similarities to Elliot Yeo had in terms of how he performed in his first 5 years on a list. Both Yeo and Aish showed some flashes of brilliance with some inconsistency and injury issues in their first two or three years on a list. Yeo changed clubs and then showed promise off half back with some mid in years 4 and 5, while Aish has done the same thing at Collingwood in years 3-5. Hopefully it all clicks for Aish in year 6 on a list like it did for Yeo. All depends on if he can massively improve his training and workrate. Im pretty sure he played onball in the juniours at times and perhaps he could do that for us too. . The blokes good enough already to be a member of a good team. He'll be one of our better kicks and seems to cover the ground well. Im not sure what people want. The langdon trade was different because he actually could have got to Melbourne quite easily in the preseason draft. Beats getting nothing for him like Jack Martin and the 26 to 22 pick upgrade was probably an underrated component of the trade. The Hill trade well lets wait and see. By my calculations we pretty much got Acres, Aish and Pick 10 for Hill. Would love for Pick 10 to turn into Brad's long term replacement on a wing, hopefully stephens. Doenst matter at all but for its worth I got blasted on here by many for saying Brad Hill was underrated and if got him for less than a late first it was a bargain, while also thinking Mccarthy was a priority signing at the time he first wanted to come home and thought we should bid two first rounders. History will show how we went in the trade period. No point getting angry about it now particularly when you consider there's no way we could have gotten Aish if we didnt agree to the deal offered by Collingwood. He was traded with two minutes to go in the trade period so clearly Collingwood didnt mind holding on to him if no deal was done.

Aish does have some similarities to Elliot Yeo had in terms of how he performed in his first 5 years on a list. Both Yeo and Aish showed some flashes of brilliance with some inconsistency and injury issues in their first two or three years on a list. Yeo changed clubs and then showed promise off half back with some mid in years 4 and 5, while Aish has done the same thing at Collingwood in years 3-5. Hopefully it all clicks for Aish in year 6 on a list like it did for Yeo. All depends on if he can massively improve his training and workrate. Im pretty sure he played onball in the juniours at times and perhaps he could do that for us too. . The blokes good enough already to be a member of a good team. He'll be one of our better kicks and seems to cover the ground well. Im not sure what people want. The langdon trade was different because he actually could have got to Melbourne quite easily in the preseason draft. Beats getting nothing for him like Jack Martin and the 26 to 22 pick upgrade was probably an underrated component of the trade. The Hill trade well lets wait and see. By my calculations we pretty much got Acres, Aish and Pick 10 for Hill. Would love for Pick 10 to turn into Brad's long term replacement on a wing, hopefully stephens. Doenst matter at all but for its worth I got blasted on here by many for saying Brad Hill was underrated and if got him for less than a late first it was a bargain, while also thinking Mccarthy was a priority signing at the time he first wanted to come home and thought we should bid two first rounders. History will show how we went in the trade period. No point getting angry about it now particularly when you consider there's no way we could have gotten Aish if we didnt agree to the deal offered by Collingwood. He was traded with two minutes to go in the trade period so clearly Collingwood didnt mind holding on to him if no deal was done.
Good summary.

I’m confident the future 2nd from Melbourne will fall in the 20’s. Whether it is above or below St Kilda is very minor matter as they’ll be similarly placed. Good ole Haselby on last night was so bullish on the Saints he had them making the 8. Time will tell and I’m sure someone will point out out the loss if Melbourne rise into the top 8 and Saints languish in the bottom 4. Can’t see it myself.

Collingwood to fall a bit and their 3rd rounder fall into the 40’s? The 5-6 compo picks this year might be less next year? The pick value for Aish will prob be around 40 and for Langdon around 24.

The very best news to come out of this trade period is the tight squeeze for list spaces meaning Mr Masten won’t be joining our club.

With Hughes/Giro upgraded, Aish/Acres to swap with Langdon/BHill and the need to delist another 1-2. I believe we’ll hit the draft with four selections (3 early and one late). The other option is to delist someone like Schultz (to redraft as a rookie) so we can pick up Menadue on a 2-year contract as a DFA.

That's a really s**t trade considering Collingwood will likely be near the top and our future 4th kind of cancels out their future 3rd.

We've basically trade a pick in the 20s for Aish and 69. So basically a pick in the 20s for Aish. Beyond atrocious for a salary dump.

AFL would block it, has to be some extra value going one way

Remove this Banner Ad

Back