Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

Was it in the strangest questions recruiters have asked?

"If the CEO rang you and offered you a good contract but you had to get there within 45 min, but you didn't have your wallet, phone, any transportationwhat would you do?"
Liam "I was like ... if I didn't have my phone how did he ring me?"

The boy's a keeper!

PS. the question about if you had the choice between diverting a train so it would only run over 1 person and not 5? WTF ????!!

It all depends on how many list spots we actually have. If we go in with 4 spots, 2 picks before Henry, then Henry and Butters should be our draft plan

I think as a general rule ignore every report from the media about who clubs are interested.

It’s lies, lies and more lies. Clubs would not share that info with media unless it serves their agenda and it would clearly serve Melbournes agenda.

Anything you hear is clubs pressuring teams to do what they wamt

I think as a general rule ignore every report from the media about who clubs are interested.

It’s lies, lies and more lies. Clubs would not share that info with media unless it serves their agenda and it would clearly serve Melbournes agenda.

1000% agree.

There is always this. I don't believe AFL journalists as a rule but there are reports that turn out true. I happen to believe the Dees want small forwards but don't necessarily believe they want Henry. I also strongly believe clubs aren't spiteful and won't bid on academy players unless they genuinely think they are the best prospect for them at that pick, especially in the top 10 where clubs tend to go best available over needs.

Not sure what the big deal is. Either use pick 10 if they bid, or use pick 10 to do a trade with Geelong or Kangaroos for a couple of lower picks.

I'm happy to use whatever we need on Henry, he looks like a must have. Robertson and Jackson seem to be rated 10-20 in most phantom drafts.
How about we trade 10 and change down to two teens. Get best available pick 7, one mid teen pick for Henry, other for one of Robertson/Jackson. Or both if we're lucky enough to get no Henry bid by our first pick after 7.

I'm happy to use whatever we need on Henry, he looks like a must have. Robertson and Jackson seem to be rated 10-20 in most phantom drafts.
How about we trade 10 and change down to two teens. Get best available pick 7, one mid teen pick for Henry, other for one of Robertson/Jackson. Or both if we're lucky enough to get no Henry bid by our first pick after 7.
How can you do this without a single club holding those two teens picks to trade with??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or we stick the finger up at Melbourne, ignore their bid and we spend the rest of his career trying to woo him back home. Media speculation every time his contract is nearing its end etc. lol
In any case I would not be negotiating with terrorists

Assuming Henry attracts a bid after 10, I'd be taking Luke Jackson & Dylan Stephens at 7 & 10.

Stephens looks to be a good long-term option on a wing with his running power and seems a safe enough bet at that point of the draft.

There's enough midfield options currently on the list to rotate through the inside for the foreseeable future, that's why I'd be pulling the trigger on a higher ceiling, speculative pick like Jackson over a more consistent player like Robertson. At worst we'll have a serviceable mobile ruck and at best we'll have a bigger Patrick Cripps.

Last edited:
Assuming Henry attracts a bid after 10, I'd be taking Luke Jackson & Dylan Stephens at 7 & 10.

Stephens looks to be a good long-term option on a wing with his running power and seems a safe enough bet at that point of the draft.

There's enough midfield options currently on the list to rotate through the inside for the foreseeable future, thats why I'd be pulling the trigger on a higher ceiling, speculative pick like Jackson over a more consistent player like Robertson. At worst we'll have a serviceable mobile ruck and at best we'll have a bigger Patrick Cripps.
I just cannot see why we would draft someone like Jackson at 10 and personally do not see it happening. There are too many good players around there that aren't so lost for a position like I think Jackson will be.

I just cannot see why we would draft someone like Jackson at 10 and personally do not see it happening. There are too many good players around there that aren't so lost for a position like I think Jackson will be.

Interested to know who you reckon would be better for us at that pick. Not arguing, just interested.

This is a fair point.

I guess I just see Jackson in the same vein as Bontempelli when he was drafted (not suggesting that Jackson will actually reach the heights The Bont has reached on the football field) where you have a guy with some outstanding athletic & football traits, but there's external conjecture as to where his best position will be because of his size.

Everyone knew Bontempelli was a unique talent, that's why he went at pick 4 instead of pick 40. There will definitely be clubs out there taking the same view of Luke Jackson on draft night. I wouldn't be surprised at all if GWS are moving up the draft order to take a punt on him, in addition to Tom Green - they're the one club in a great position to take risks with high draft picks and the ruck is probably the one area of their list with the weakest depth in terms of quality.

Last edited:
Regardless of all the talk re positioning for Jackson, what are his fundamental skills like? Can he hit a target like Bont, can he work below his knees like Bont, can he mark it like Bont?
If the answer to at least a couple of these is yes, I'm happy to pull the trigger...the question of where he plays is secondary IMO.

Has anyone actually seen any evidence that Luke Jackson could play as a big bodied midfielder? I mean not just in their vivid imagination but actually in a game?

I've watched a fair bit of him and I just don't see it sorry. Is it because he was good at basketball? FWIW he was good at basketball because of his height and aerial work - not because he could weave in and out of traffic like a ~199cm point guard. I get some of the hype about him becoming a really good ruck but it just seems way OTT locking him in as the next Grundy. People are talking pick 3 worthy and I'm like wtf? Any comparisons to (us passing on) Naughton need to remember he smashed it in WAFL League against AFL listed players, not just dominating at Colts level against similar aged players (like Jackson has).

I really hope we don't go speculative with our picks this year. Happy if we don't go WA (I want Stephens with #7 badly) but investing in a young ruck when we have a really good young ruck already on our list seems crazy to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back