Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

Is that correct? We've lost 7 from the main list, and added 2. So we should have 5 spots on the main list, or 4 if O'Reilly has to go there. And plus one if North is delisted/rookied.
Two rookies upgraded - Hughes & Giro leaves three.

Four with likely delisting of North.

I’m so glad we kept pick 22. In the worst case result of an ultra early bid on Henry, we can use that pick and a future second to slide up the order to get another wa player.

Or otherwise it is possible sharp, rivers and maybe even Robertson could be there at 22.

Aish has already said Longmuir's biggest strength is game plan knowledge. Really hope selection and drafting is now based less on filling a role and more on getting enough players who have good skills to implement a precise kicking game plan. Our list has too many inside mids lacking pace and small forwards with average pace compared to most small forwards on afl lists. I cant see roles for either Crowden or Shultz in a precise kicking game plan. Hence Id rather delist them and bring in players who could potentially help in Menedue and a quick skilled state league player. Speaking of game plan I really hope the likes of Connor Blakly are given an absolute rocket next season when they follow the ball and dont work hard enough to cover their man spreading from stoppages. Connor's work rate in terms of staying with his man in sprints longer than 40 metres and ball watching last year were as appalling as ive seen from a freo mid in a long time.

Wilson and Ryan are in the same boat regarding not being aware of their man and being accountable. Great offensively, but lack defensive.

Blakely is not 22. Slow, isn’t accountable, skills are crap, decision making questionable on and off the field. It’s his last chance.

cfc5 on Carlton list management (Carlton board) had this to say....

Prediction:
We won't get Martin in the PSD

Carlton and the Gold Coast suns will trade picks before the national draft.
Gold Coast will at the same time, conveniently delist Martin.
Carlton will recruit Martin as a delisted free agent.

Now my guess:
Carlton give 9, 43 and 57
Suns give 15, 20 and 78 (delist Martin)

Wilson and Ryan are in the same boat regarding not being aware of their man and being accountable. Great offensively, but lack defensive.

Blakely is not 22. Slow, isn’t accountable, skills are crap, decision making questionable on and off the field. It’s his last chance.

Don’t know about Blakey’s off field stuff but the rest I agree with.

cfc5 on Carlton list management (Carlton board) had this to say....

Prediction:
We won't get Martin in the PSD

Carlton and the Gold Coast suns will trade picks before the national draft.
Gold Coast will at the same time, conveniently delist Martin.
Carlton will recruit Martin as a delisted free agent.

Now my guess:
Carlton give 9, 43 and 57
Suns give 15, 20 and 78 (delist Martin)
Interesting concept.

Quite a lopsided trade towards Carlton.

On Points value the picks are equal but Carlton also get Martin - so what's in it for GCS? The big issue is the second pick. Carlton get 20 and GCS get 43. That trade proposal is Bulldust and suggested by a biased Carlton supporter.

Perhaps 15 > 9 would work and GCS can throw Carlton a future 3rd to make it look legit. No way they give up 20.

I heard the GCS list manager on 6PR. They will be going to the draft with the four picks 1,2,15,20 and then using the last pick 78 on their academy fella Connor Budarick. They don't need 57. You can now see the issues that Carlton had in giving something to GCS to satisfy them. They have been given free picks for 2019 and 2020 they just don't need the loose change. Whereas St Kilda and West Coast and a couple of others are hanging around like scabs looking for any loose change.

Jason Dover (Martin's agent) seemed pretty sure last night that they would place a bounty on his head and choose the PSD pathway.

Don’t know about Blakey’s off field stuff but the rest I agree with.
He has always been the most overrated player on the freo big footy board. Terrible decision maker with ball in hand. Fumbles and woeful defensively. If anyone watches replays in the games he played midfield have a look at how he goes after spreading from a contest. He is worse than Paul Hasleby post knee operation.

Is that correct? We've lost 7 from the main list, and added 2. So we should have 5 spots on the main list, or 4 if O'Reilly has to go there. And plus one if North is delisted/rookied.

Hughes and Giro have been upgraded from the rookie list. O’Reilly and maybe Carter replace them on the Category A rookie list.

Hughes and Giro have been upgraded from the rookie list. O’Reilly and maybe Carter replace them on the Category A rookie list.
I never understand why we upgrade rookies too early.

Giro plays 10 games in 2018, when we had injuries. Then he does a knee injury in 2019. Their no point in upgrading as he can stay on the rookie for another Year.

Hughes we needed to upgrade or delist as it was his third year on the rookie list.

I never understand why we upgrade rookies too early.

Giro plays 10 games in 2018, when we had injuries. Then he does a knee injury in 2019. Their no point in upgrading as he can stay on the rookie for another Year.

Hughes we needed to upgrade or delist as it was his third year on the rookie list.
This is wrong. Hughes had been on the main list after originally being drafted as a rookie, and was delisted and redrafted as a rookie at the end of 2018. We don't 'need' to re-promote Hughes, except it's the right thing to do.
There is a point to elevating people: If guys on the rookie list are playing good footy it's bad business (they might walk) and sends a bad signal (we won't reward improvement and loyalty) if you won't promote them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is wrong. Hughes had been on the main list after originally being drafted as a rookie, and was delisted and redrafted as a rookie at the end of 2018. We don't 'need' to re-promote Hughes, except it's the right thing to do.
There is a point to elevating people: If guys on the rookie list are playing good footy it's bad business (they might walk) and sends a bad signal (we won't reward improvement and loyalty) if you won't promote them.
If someone isn’t in the best 30 players, you shouldn’t promote them to the main list.

Hughes is in the best 30 but Giro isn’t.

Giro didn’t play last season. He has a knee injury and only played 10 games in a bottom six club. Nobody is going to steal him.

If we lose a player outside of the best 30, I am ok with that.

Their could be a number of delist free agents we could get in to fill holes but we don’t the spots.

Hughes and Giro have contracts to upgrade then. It’s done.

He has always been the most overrated player on the freo big footy board. Terrible decision maker with ball in hand. Fumbles and woeful defensively. If anyone watches replays in the games he played midfield have a look at how he goes after spreading from a contest. He is worse than Paul Hasleby post knee operation.

Yep let's delist him and keep Schulz, Bewley, Giro , Switowski, Duman.

If someone isn’t in the best 30 players, you shouldn’t promote them to the main list.

Hughes is in the best 30 but Giro isn’t.

Giro didn’t play last season. He has a knee injury and only played 10 games in a bottom six club. Nobody is going to steal him.

If we lose a player outside of the best 30, I am ok with that.

Their could be a number of delist free agents we could get in to fill holes but we don’t the spots.
He was offered that contract before doing an ACL, as you know perfectly well. As for the top 30 players stuff that's just opinion. The club obviously didn't agree, or they would have left him on it.

He was offered that contract before doing an ACL, as you know perfectly well. As for the top 30 players stuff that's just opinion. The club obviously didn't agree, or they would have left him on it.
That’s my view for sure.

The club sees it that way but we are down the bottom more times that other teams.

You need to be ruthless.

Players need to do a lot to be upgraded and it shouldn’t be easy to achieve.

Your right Giro was upgraded in the preseason and then plays 8 games at Peel.

Under Ross effort is rewarded.

I rather reward performance.

Giro is our best runner now that Hill is gone, correct? I think he’s shown glimpses of having the ability to be a similar player to Hill, but then the knee happened.

Hopefully he is the same athlete post-knee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Footy clubs prefer the devil you know, AFL systems or channels. I really don't understand that a player
Like Sokol is playing Wafl, doesn't even get rookied?
Here's hoping the mid season draft gives them more of a go, if it lasts that long.
Some players are just too good to ignore, and when the AFL players listed fail to dominate in the
seconds, it's just bizarre.

Footy clubs prefer the devil you know, AFL systems or channels. I really don't understand that a player
Like Sokol is playing Wafl, doesn't even get rookied?
Here's hoping the mid season draft gives them more of a go, if it lasts that long.
Some players are just too good to ignore, and when the AFL players listed fail to dominate in the
seconds, it's just bizarre.
Totally agree.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back