Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

His stats are ok, but inconsistent & I felt he took a step backwards this season.

This is where I would love to see Pav come back to the club in a part time coaching role talking with the forwards.

The perception on Cox is that he is lazy, which to some small extent he is, but I think it has a lot to do with not quite understanding his role as a forward & at times he has no impact for large parts of a game.

Playing forward is tough & he needs a mentor to chat to once a week.

FWIW I reckon that Cox is CHB, he reads the play well and I see him similar to Darcy Moore at Collingwood - just not as feminine 😙
He isn’t quick but he is creative, just needs a combative and mongrel streak to appear.

I reckon the boys will want to impress the new coach and will come back in ripping condition.

Great to hear Jesse is focusing on rehabbing his foot properly this preseason rather than partying like last year.
Pretty sure all reports were that his application to his rehab and fitness last year were outstanding.

In this instance I'd much rather see an ultraconservative approach to his foot. So basically "see you after the bye" being the call.

Actually that's a good comparison...Kepler at Essendon and Freo played across a number of roles and really didn't anchor down one if I'm correct...seemed to be the fix it guy re the talls. Jackson could be similar and not reach his potential if put into that mode, but I do think he is far more natural and co-ordinated with his skills than Kepler at the same age.
Kepler was playing in a league WAFL premiership off the wing with West Perth at the same age.....

Anyone know how many list spots Melbourne need to fill?

They only have pick 3 and 8 in the first 4 rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Totally agree.

You get screwed if a player comes out of contract.

The club needs to stop the constant bleeding Weller, Neale, B Hill and Langdon all out the door within 3 years.
I agree, but would you swap what we have now for these players back? We’ve sold high on all but langdon. Massive blessing in disguise.

If I were list manager I'd be getting very busy in the first week back from off season break.

Luke Ryan - four year contract offer. That will see him through to 29 years old.
Brennan Cox - if he beats his personal best in the first time trial, two year contract offer
Brandon Matera - if he presents in similar condition to the start of the 2019 preseason, two year offer
Hugh Dixon - if he beats his PB, one year offer. If he beats it by a lot, two year offer.

Hard work can't be faked or phoned in.

McCarthy, Valente, Schultz, Bewley, Banfield, Watson, Carter, Meek, Mundy can wait.

I'd be disappointed not to have signed up McCarthy for two more years by the mid point of the season, I'd like for him to be a key member of our side and performing really well by that point.

You could even go five here. Makes it clear he is respected etc.

Anyone know how many list spots Melbourne need to fill?

They only have pick 3 and 8 in the first 4 rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

From what I can gather there might still be a bit to play out there. But I guess they have to take their 3 picks in the draft, don't think they're looking at a rookie upgrade to fill one, could be wrong?

Like you say, they've got 3 & 8, nothing else, and no 2020 first. Albeit they've got GWS over a barrel if Green is rated a top 3 selection, on the basis he's unlikely to slide past GWS current pick 6.

You thinking in terms of them impacting Henry or potentially trying to trade up and facilitate a third early pick for them?

I agree, but would you swap what we have now for these players back? We’ve sold high on all but langdon. Massive blessing in disguise.
Yes and no.

Image is we had a midfield of Fyfe,Mundy,Walters, Weller , Neale, B Hill, S Hill, Langdon, Conca and Cerra.

Hogan we could traded pick 6 and future second and Lobb for future first with a future second coming back.

Yes and no.

Image is we had a midfield of Fyfe,Mundy,Walters, Weller , Neale, B Hill, S Hill, Langdon, Conca and Cerra.

Hogan we could traded pick 6 and future second and Lobb for future first with a future second coming back.
Bennell as well.

May as well include morabito.

From what I can gather there might still be a bit to play out there. But I guess they have to take their 3 picks in the draft, don't think they're looking at a rookie upgrade to fill one, could be wrong?

Like you say, they've got 3 & 8, nothing else, and no 2020 first. Albeit they've got GWS over a barrel if Green is rated a top 3 selection, on the basis he's unlikely to slide past GWS current pick 6.

You thinking in terms of them impacting Henry or potentially trying to trade up and facilitate a third early pick for them?
They get another pick - essentially 6th round. So pick 3, 8, 96 (or whatever number it currently is).

Now there won’t be 96 picks taken in the ND. The draft order is re-done after the final list lodgement prior to the ND and after the pick swap end date which I believe is 22 Nov.

If they didn’t make any further trades of picks it would be something like:

Has anyone actually seen any evidence that Luke Jackson could play as a big bodied midfielder? I mean not just in their vivid imagination but actually in a game?
I would hazard a guess that its the same people who think that Logue would be a good midfielder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would hazard a guess that its the same people who think that Logue would be a good midfielder.
Close to the most annoying suggestion you keep hearing on here. Although ‘Wilson to the wing’ is rapidly closing in on it. Seriously first game you tried that he’d have to spend the second half in a hyperbaric chamber.

Yep let's delist him and keep Schulz, Bewley, Giro , Switowski, Duman.
You realize I said delist Shultz, Crowden and Giro earlier in this thread while then redrafting them on the rookie list so we dont have to pay out contracts. Im not saying delist Blakely by any stretch. But he is easily the most overrated player by freo fans. Daylight second. I know you watch the replays. When he plays midfield have a look how far he is at times behind his man. Over a 50-70 metre sprint it happens all the time. No doubt he had an extended layoff from injury and everything last season, but its a massive flaw in his game that never, ever gets talked about on here. While others consistently cop a bashing. Cerra's the other who needs to improve in this department hugely. Yeah I get it Conca, Colyer, Brayshaw, Tabs, Hughes and the players you've named also have brain fades with ball in hand. The difference is they get smashed repeatedly by freo bf fans while Blakley consistently gets off scott free.

Last edited:
Close to the most annoying suggestion you keep hearing on here. Although ‘Wilson to the wing’ is rapidly closing in on it. Seriously first game you tried that he’d have to spend the second half in a hyperbaric chamber.
That said I think a new coach should try a few players in different positions. Id rather Swita and Hughes be tried on a wing with Brayshaw also more on a wing as a defensive winger to use his running ability. All three players Swita, Hughes and Brayshaw at least have the physical attributes to play those roles.

Logue actually rucked quite a bit at the national champs the year he got drafted. If you watched his highlights when he kicks the goals he was playing as a ruck rather than a defender. Id rather he did that and played defence as well. Personally think Sean Darcy is miles off being an effective afl ruckman and id rather go with Lobb and Logue if Sean's fitness hasnt improved a heap starting next year. That way we wont get cruciied by the opposition ruckman around the ground like we did for a fair bit of the time when Sean was in the team last year. We can then play a forward line with two key talls and hopefully Sturt if he comes on like he might or a rotation of Acres, Mundy, Fyfe and Cerra in the third tall forward roles to allow a more balanced forward set-up.

Last edited:
Your right Giro was upgraded in the preseason and then plays 8 games at Peel.

Under Ross effort is rewarded.

I rather reward performance.
Giro's the one I keep even if we have to delist and redraft him. At least he has pace and endurance and his skills were improving last year before injury in my view. Crowden id delist and put him on the rookie list despite having two years on his contract. The thing is we have nothing to loose. If another team picked him up they would have to take on the contract. Id delist Shultz and rookie as well. That way at least we can have a look at some players with more speed and skill.

Giro's the one I keep even if we have to delist and redraft him. At least he has pace and endurance and his skills were improving last year before injury in my view. Crowden id delist and put him on the rookie list despite having two years on his contract. The thing is we have nothing to loose. If another team picked him up they would have to take on the contract. Id delist Shultz and rookie as well. That way at least we can have a look at some players with more speed and skill.
I like the ruthless attitude.

Cox numbers for a young key forward are pretty impressive.
See this is what gets me
tabs is going on 27 has never kicked more than 20 goals? In a season ,is footy iq defective and has had his fair share injuries ,

Then compare with cox who yes granted can be lazy and soft but is also blessed with good physical attributes but who has footy nous and is still only 21... ..which is still young for a midfielder let alone a kpf

But yep I get it ,one has been in the system nearly 8 years and is about to tear the comp apart ,break out any minute now ,just you wait ............while the other is a 21 year old donkey who in just his 3rd season has already matched tabs most goals in a season but is destined to never to make it

:rolleyes:

See this is what gets me
tabs is going on 27 has never kicked more than 20 goals? In a season ,is footy iq defective and has had his fair share injuries ,

Then compare with cox who yes granted can be lazy and soft but is also blessed with good physical attributes but who has footy nous and is still only 21... ..which is still young for a midfielder let alone a kpf

But yep I get it ,one has been in the system nearly 8 years and is about to tear the comp apart ,break out any minute now ,just you wait ............while the other is a 21 year old donkey who in just his 3rd season has already matched tabs most goals in a season but is destined to never to make it

:rolleyes:
Absolutely.

Just hope we don’t lose him because we play Taberner in front of him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back