Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

So, just on Dylan Stephens who I’m praying we get at 7, who does everyone reckon the Crows will likely pick ahead of him? I reckon he’d be perfect for their rebuild right now and would slot into their midfield brigade pretty quickly.

So assuming Melb don't trade #3 with GWS I've extended my thinking to get 4 players (inc Henry in the top 24) whilst nullifying the risk of a bid before #10 and upgrading #10 to #6. It costs the 2020 2nd (Melb) & 2020 3rd (Coll) we currently have but we hopefully gain another 2020 3rd.

PRE DRAFT
Freo -> #22, 2020 2nd (Melb) for 2020 2nd (Adl), #37, #45, #49, 2020 4th (Adl) <- Adl
Freo -> 2020 1st (Freo), #37 for #6 <- GWS

So we go into the draft with #6, #7, #10, #45, #49, #58, #69, #79, #83 (GWS has our 2020 1st)

AFTER GREEN BID (GWS would match the bid using #37, #40, #59 and get Green)
GWS -> 2020 1st (Freo) for #10 <- Freo

Pick #6 - Stephens
Pick #7 - Robertson

Henry Bid @ #10-#15 (we would match the bid using #45, #49, #58 and get Henry)

AFTER HENRY BID
Adl -> #23 for 2020 2nd (Adl), 2020 3rd (Coll) <- Freo (could deal with Syd to get #25 instead here - they need lots of points next year)

Pick #23 - Sharp

Freo -> #69, #79, #83 for 2020 3rd (Dogs/Pies/whoever)

Freo Gain: Stephens (#6), Robertson (#7), Henry (~#10-15), Sharp (#23), 2020 3rd (?)
Freo Lost: 2020 2nd (Melb), 2020 3rd (Coll)

If we have enough list spots and wanted 5 players from the ND then I'd just trade out our 2020 2nd (after the Henry bid) for ~#30 and get Taylor. There are a bunch of clubs with picks around there that need points next year for top 10ish academy players (eg Syd, Haw, Adl, Col).

Do you have a direct line to Belly by any chance?

Last edited:
Keep 10, there are only two clubs that can bid on Henry, Melbourne got a good deal on Langdon and I’m sure we can work something out with Carlton. Both clubs will have other options around the mark, it’s not like Henry is the obvious choice at those picks and they know we’ll match.

The prospect of having essentially picks 7,10 and 12, with ability to trade back in is greater than the gain made by playing it safe and having 7,12 and 17, or wasting our ability to trade back in after losing a future pick to get 10 up to 8 or 9.

If we are really worried, move 10 to 11 with a pick park with Hawthorn like it was mooted for GWS

The length of time Brad Lloyd worked at Freo, you'd think there'd be some good will. SOS is as useless as a 3 day old dog poo on your front lawn in summer, so hopefully Lloyd can get in his ear and the clubs can come to some agreement about not bidding.

The length of time Brad Lloyd worked at Freo, you'd think there'd be some good will. SOS is as useless as a 3 day old dog poo on your front lawn in summer, so hopefully Lloyd can get in his ear and the clubs can come to some agreement about not bidding.
Forgot about Lloyd, makes it even easier. Should be real easy then to ask Carlton and Dee’s not to be dicks.

Keep 10, trade back in after the Henry bid

So, just on Dylan Stephens who I’m praying we get at 7, who does everyone reckon the Crows will likely pick ahead of him? I reckon he’d be perfect for their rebuild right now and would slot into their midfield brigade pretty quickly.

Don't know about the Crows, but I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want Stephens with our first pick.

Would the Crows trade 4 and 45 for 7 and 22?

I just don't see anyone bidding 8-9 on Henry when he would be such a flight risk to come back to WA down the line anyway. I would rather take the risk then use 10 if we have to, than do something silly like trade 10 - 22 for 14 - 17.

Yep. It’s a bit of potential bluff tactics, but also you have to play the long game.

Does Carlton bid on Henry, with the knowledge we’re almost certain to match? Thus not allowing us a ‘2-1’ bargain. Also would they feel comfortable if we passed and they end up with Henry.

It’s why I previously said if he is bid on we pass and pick up another player... the only thing is I really want Henry and he seems like a great fit.

I can envision us doing something g dumb like bidding on Finn McGinnis at 10 trying to stop Hawks getting the 2-1 play and they don’t match and we’re stuck with the spud.

Just an idea.

We trade picks 7,58,69 to the Blues for picks 9,43.

Then trade 9 and 43 to the Hawks for 11 and 30

All parties promised not to bid on Henry.

That's leaves us picks 10,11,22,30.

Then pick 10 and 22 to Port for pick 12 and 18.

Then we have picks 11,12,18,30.

Trade pick 11 to the Dogs for picks or pick 13 and 53

Gives us pick 12,13,18,30,53

Trade pick 12,18,30 to the Cats for 14,17,24

Then we have picks 13,14,17,24,53

Trade pick 13 and 24 to Suns for picks 15 and 20.

Gives us 14,15,17,20,53

Trade pick 14,53 to Lions for pick 16,34

Then we have picks 15,16,17,20,34

Cats Promised not to bid on Henry or take a WA kid.

Henry bid will arrive at 19 with the Tigers.

Then match the bid with 20. Our pick 34 (36) turns into pick 29.

Pick 15 Rivers
pick 16 Sharp
Pick 17 Jackson
Pick 20 Henry
Pick 29 Taylor

That’s a fair bit of work.
I’d take Jackson at 15 and Rivers at 17 but other than that the tests seems flawless.

I must confess that all this stuff about Acadamy points, trading next years picks, trading on Draft night etc does my head in.
I yearn for ye good olde days when things were simpler. A trade week to sort out player movements and picks and then take what you got to the draft. Easy as.

I must confess that all this stuff about Acadamy points, trading next years picks, trading on Draft night etc does my head in.
I yearn for ye good olde days when things were simpler. A trade week to sort out player movements and picks and then take what you got to the draft. Easy as.

I think we should hold our position now.

I think we are in a good position in the draft.

There is a slight risk of Henry going early, but that would leave us 22. So we will get a good pickup anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My two choices (hopefully before Henry) are still Stephens and Sharp. Stephens could go at 7, but can't see them reaching for Sharp at 10. Unless Henry goes at 10, and Sharp is still on the board at 22, they might see value there. Still end up with the same players, but I can't see it playing out getting Stephens and Sharp with 7 & 10.

Don’t mind that apart from Serong. Unless he is a super attacking mid, I’d go for some local product.

Question for our hard working draftee watchers, outside of Stephens who would be the most attacking mid likely to be available around 10?

Is there any chance that Melbourne could throw a big curveball. They are really into Henry and know we'll match their pick 8 bid. What if they go for Henry at 3 thinking we won't match with a price that high. Maybe they think the calibre of player they want will still be available at pick 8 (Someone like Ash) and they can get both players this way. Is it that unthinkable for "the best small forward in the draft"?

Just playing devils advocate - obviously I'd like Henry and hope there won't be any early bids, but we all think that which is kind of the point.

Last edited:
As long as we get at least 2 picks before Henry I honestly won't mind who they are given the evenness of picks 3-18 ish. Would prefer mids to Luke Jackson given I think they are more likely to have an earlier impact at AFL level

Last edited:
Is there any chance that Melbourne could throw a big curveball. They are really into Henry and know we'll match their pick 8 bid. What if they go for Henry at 3 thinking we won't match with a price that high. Maybe they think the calibre of player they want will still be available at pick 8 (Someone like Ash) and they can get both players this way. Is it that unthinkable for "the best small forward in the draft"?

Just playing devils advocate - obviously I'd like Henry and hope there won't be any early bids, but we all think that which is kind of the point.
Don't reckon the Dees will do it unless they actually think he is the 3rd best player in the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back