Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

I think this would be close to doable, but Belly needs to get on his bike. Each trade slightly favours the other club, but in the end we come out in front. Bell will need to be shrewd.

22, future 2nd, future 3rd >> 17,36 (Geelong)

10, 36 >> 8 (Melbourne)

7,8,17,58,69 (79,83)

We've improved our 2019 hand from 7,10,22 >> 7,8,17. We've lost a future 2nd and 3rd, which kind of evens it all up.
This protects us from a Henry bid. It's highly unlikely Henry will get a bid before 6. We'll have picks 7,8.
Whatever the bid from 9 onwards, 17 covers it.

Melbourne has slid 2 places, they might bid, but again we could match, and they would still get Weightman, who is supposedly their main target. They also only have 2 picks, so would probably be keen to add a third.
Geelong slide, but with their need to shed a pick, they pick up a high-ish 2nd for 2020, plus will still have 14, 22, 24 - a decent hand.

We use 7,8 on Stephens + Ash/Flanders/Robertson, and 17 on a Henry bid. I'll be bloody annoyed to miss out on Sharp, but such is life.We'll have 48,58,69 (70 + 83) as spec picks if we have list room, which we probably won't. Hang onto the others for points next year.

Last edited:

Is there any chance that Melbourne could throw a big curveball. They are really into Henry and know we'll match their pick 8 bid. What if they go for Henry at 3 thinking we won't match with a price that high. Maybe they think the calibre of player they want will still be available at pick 8 (Someone like Ash) and they can get both players this way. Is it that unthinkable for "the best small forward in the draft"?

Just playing devils advocate - obviously I'd like Henry and hope there won't be any early bids, but we all think that which is kind of the point.

Melbourne are very likely to pick Young (3) and Serong 8 (if he is there) or vice versa. If they miss Serong - Robertson and Henry could be a target for them at 8. I think I read that they may also be keen on Bianco (GWS also).

In true Freo style we won't match the early Henry bid and we will draft 2 players with 7 & 10 that were predicted to go much later, from Victoria, one who will take 4 years to develop and with a long term Vic gf who needs her family support, the other with fragile bones that break during important early season games.
EFM

I think this would be close to doable, but Belly needs to get on his bike. Each trade slightly favours the other club, but in the end we come out in front. Bell will need to be shrewd.

22, future 2nd, future 3rd >> 17,36 (Geelong)

10, 36 >> 8 (Melbourne)

7,8,17,58,69 (79,83).........

We use 7,8 on Stephens + Ash/Flanders/Robertson, and 17 on a Henry bid. I'll be bloody annoyed to miss out on Sharp, but such is life.We'll have 48,58,69 (70 + 83) as spec picks if we have list room, which we probably won't. Hang onto the others for points next year.

What I posted on the Young Talent Time (meant to post here) could be the way to get one of Sharp or Rivers :-

If we are looking to a 4th pick the following could play out;

Brisbane currently have 2020 picks 1,3,3, wondering about their 2020 Academy draft possibilities, they have quite a few entering at the beginning of the year.

If Henry has not been bid on prior to 16 they may trade and be open to this - Brisbane get our 22 and 2020 1st (2220) - for 16, 48,52,55,72 (1842 pts) and 2020 3rd 2320. What we don't use once the Henry bid comes up (if reasonable pts left) we try to exchange for 2020 something.

We have picks 7,10,16,and Henry Pick after 16 at Bid so maybe Sharp and Rivers become option there at 16. We also have 2020 picks 2,2,3,3 with chance of trade for 4th with excess picks/points after Henry bid.

Brisbane have a good hand too re pick 22 instead of 16, get rid of picks they don't need but set up 2020 beautifully 1,1,3,

Last edited:
Yeah it'd be a bit of a mind blower to select a small forward that high up in the top 10.
They already did that with Petracca a few drafts ago since he doesn't have the tank to play midfield. Surely they won't do it deliberately, although you could argue that Henry will end up a mid/forward like Walters.

They already did that with Petracca a few drafts ago since he doesn't have the tank to play midfield. Surely they won't do it deliberately, although you could argue that Henry will end up a mid/forward like Walters.
Yeah but petracca was very solid build he could play from round 1. Henry is scrawny doubt someone would bid on him that high because of his build.

I heard Adelaide were really keen on Flanders when Scott Burns was looking as their possible head coach. Brodie Smith is nicknamed Smithers for those that didn't know.

That would have been awesome :(
Plus they also drafted Ned McHenry last year. Shithouse effort not to commit to it by them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Petracca was more a money man who had claims to midfield development, in the vein of D. Martin and Raynor.

Here's the opening line from Petracca's AFL.com.au's meet and greet:
CHRISTIAN Petracca started the season as a half-forward who could play in the midfield. He ended it having reversed that equation and proved himself as a dynamic, game-changing on-baller.

Petracca showed multiple strings to his bow, which pushed him up the draft order. Not sure Henry has shown those multiple strings enough at this stage. They might see it though. Who knows with Melbourne?

Literally the worst outcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We need to replace two wingers, and a small forward. I'd expect JLo would want more outside class, speed. Stephens with Henry gives us
want we need.
Pick 22 should be best available, should be the most interesting.

Literally the worst outcome

It probably is, but Ash, Henry and Day still bring serious speed and skill into our side. Change Ash for Stephens I'd be giving a big tick.

It probably is, but Ash, Henry and Day still bring serious speed and skill into our side. Change Ash for Stephens I'd be giving a big tick.

Agree, but I really would like us to get that extra pick ahead of the Henry nomination

Happy to trade our future first

And use that future second to upgrade 10 or 7

3 plus Henry would be ideal. Can fast track as much as possible their development with Valente / Sturt. Come 2021 we are competing for GF with fyfe, Walters still playing ok footy

Next year’s picks can all be NGA. And yes not worry about currency for them - we will need to prepare for guys like Cox, Cerra to be poached or ‘get homesick’

As long as they get on the scoreboard 😀
Stephens is that long raking kick, Henry dynamite up to 40m left or right. Instant fix of our biggest weakeness.

I think that Melb will bid on Henry at 8, we will match with 10. Hopefully we can get Stephens at 7 first

Remove this Banner Ad

Back