Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

Just to alleviate any concerns especially sacking of those responsible for list management there is still time to make some list changes to open up another list spot or two. See below:

31 October List Lodgement (1) ; Rookie Promotion to Primary List; Retained 2nd & 3rd Year Rookies; International Scholarship Player; Alternate Talent Player Nominations; Club Notification of Rookie Players Not Accepting a Contract of Offer; Nomination of Draft Eligible Father/Son; Northern Academy, Next Generation Academy Players Lodged; TPP Pre-Season Estimates

This information has clarified my query regarding the option of holding back Rookie list promotions. That needs to be done by 31/10/2019. Giro when he signed his contract it was indicated he would be promoted to main list and a contract to 2021. Crowden has a contract till 2021 So too does Colyer so those three will be fine.

Bailey Banfield, Brett Bewley, Lachie Schultz amongst others are OOC in 2020.

North OOC 2019.

I’d expect two further list changes to come from those four names.

My best guess would be North and Schultz with Schultz a decent chance to be selected in the Rookie Draft.

If we're going to delist Giro we'd be delisting a fair few.

How people want Giro delisted and Carter upgraded is beyond me tbh. Giro showed as much this season than Carter, let alone the season before.
Look he needs to tidy up his disposal but has good speed and endurance. Also from all reports smashing his rehab and well ahead in his recovery. With his height and physique I don’t expect either of his two attributes to be greatly affected by the ACL. Different proposition if he was a ruck or KPP. Agility may be impacted initially but that will quickly come back with some WAFL game time.

Giro will be fine. At the end of the day the contract article clearly stated he would be upgraded to the main list. Not for season 2019 but for the 2020/21 seasons.

Midfielder Giro will spend 2019 on Fremantle’s rookie list before his promotion to the senior list next year.”

Looks pretty black and white to me.

Look he needs to tidy up his disposal but has good speed and endurance. Also from all reports smashing his rehab and well ahead in his recovery. With his height and physique I don’t expect either of his two attributes to be greatly affected by the ACL. Different proposition if he was a ruck or KPP. Agility may be impacted initially but that will quickly come back with some WAFL game time.

Giro will be fine. At the end of the day the contract article clearly stated he would be upgraded to the main list. Not for season 2019 but for the 2020/21 seasons.

Midfielder Giro will spend 2019 on Fremantle’s rookie list before his promotion to the senior list next year.”

Looks pretty black and white to me.
His disposal is no worse than half our list.

There was a passage of play against Carlton (remember that game where they barely scored in the first half after their bye and Fremantle hadn't won away from home for a while? that game), where Giro swooped out wide to get involved in the play then delivered to Mundy's advantage on the lead where he marked nicely, then missed.

Freo - the home for players whose highlight reel amounts to "Yeah, but don't you remember the day he did one good thing?"

There was a passage of play against Carlton (remember that game where they barely scored in the first half after their bye and Fremantle hadn't won away from home for a while? that game), where Giro swooped out wide to get involved in the play then delivered to Mundy's advantage on the lead where he marked nicely, then missed.

One passage. Wow! He is simply way too small and lacks polish in general. Far too much of our list is taken up by short people with too many weaknesses ... Giro, Crowden, Schultz, Colyer, Switkovski and Matera. Should have two of these (Switta and Matera) maximum on our list for 2020.

Promising to upgrade Giro in FEBRUARY is bizarre. This strikes me as an inexperienced decision by Miccallef as list manager early in his tenure. Absolutely bizarre. Is he still in the role? Wasn't there talk that Bell had to step into contract talks with player agents as he couldn't cut it?

The three year contract for Colyer was also wrong (but not Micallef's decision).

It's a shame that we have to cut North before seeing him play but we need to open up a spot. I would also be open to cutting Shultz and putting him on the rookie list but I'm not sure if that's possible? And/or is it too ruthless?

One passage. Wow! He is simply way too small and lacks polish in general. Far too much of our list is taken up by short people with too many weaknesses ... Giro, Crowden, Schultz, Colyer, Switkovski and Matera. Should have two of these (Switta and Matera) maximum on our list for 2020.

Yeah, imagine having small forwards and players who are quick.

Can't wait for West Coast to get rid of their short people like Rioli, Ryan, Cameron, Cripps and Petreculle.

I feel a lot of our depth players were exposed to look worse than they actually are when we were getting hit significantly with injuries. I don't think there's anything wrong individually with Giro, Bewley, Schultz, etc. But too many of them in the side at once is always going to cause issues.

Freo - the home for players whose highlight reel amounts to "Yeah, but don't you remember the day he did one good thing?"

I think the career of Giro could be fairly compared with that of Ed Langdon.
Ed was drafted 2014
2015 - 2 games
2016 - 13 games
2017 - 10 games
2018 - 21 games
2019 - 22 games

Taking him until his fourth year to be a best twenty two player. That's the year after next for Giro.

Ed Langdon isn't aiming at super high levels for a footballer but if he were performing similarly in the second year of his contract extention (year after next) then I'd consider that quite handy depth.

It should also show how long it can take the outside runners to get up to speed.

A left footed Ed Landgon isn't great, it's not terrible either. I don't think I've ever seen Stefan miss the ball with his foot.
I have been looking back over the games from this year and took extra note of Langdon in the Geelong game. I'm not sure he hit a target... all game, by hand or foot.

Matera is best twenty two, he is one of the best crumbing smalls on our list, Matera, Walters and McCarthy are the three players who can kick a goal on a whim from an angle with zero point zero amount of time.

Schutlz keeps writing cheques his body can't cash with flashy kicks that do not come off.

Going off what I’ve seen particularly at WAFL level before ACL the season just gone and most of his AFL games in 2018 he needs to tidy up his disposal. Not having a massive dig at Giro just pointing out if he wants to have a successful career playing AFL then that is what he needs to do. One of my favourites Brayshaw also needs to tidy up his disposal.

For mine Giro’s weakness is kicking efficiency - in particular consistency. Misses too many targets. The kicks look nice and I remember that kick against Carlton as well as another at Optus on the wing going i-50 that were lace out kicks but I also have vivid memories of Giro missing plenty of targets and on many occasions him showing his frustration after making the mistake.

He’s under contract for 2020/21 so I don’t understand why posters keep raising him for delisting. Our history forever incl. ole Jack bloody Anthony is to delist with only 1 year remaining max.

The only one I can remember with more than 1-year on his contract was the late Col Sylvia and even then it was more than half way through the season after some shenanigans at WAFL level so was about 1.4 years remaining on his contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A left footed Ed Landgon isn't great, it's not terrible either.

Yes, it would be OK. The problem is that Giro would be a left footed Langdon that is 7 cm shorter. You can't ignore his size. It is a major limiting factor for his ability to make it.

Simply, as it stands there has to be changes between now and draft day, unless you believe we are so incompetent that we traded in picks we were never going to use.

If I had to bet, North is goneski and we’ll move Schultz to the rookie list or delist and take 5 picks in

Yeah, imagine having small forwards and players who are quick.

Can't wait for West Coast to get rid of their short people like Rioli, Ryan, Cameron, Cripps and Petreculle.

Sigh. short people require certain attributes to be able to make it. Leap, speed, skill, creativity, evasiveness, goal sense, instinct, etc. Or be an absolute tank like Prestia/Neale. Ryan and Rioli have enough of the attributes required. So does Walters. None of our other short people come close. By the way, Cripps is 183cm and Petruccelle is 185cm.

I think the career of Giro could be fairly compared with that of Ed Langdon.
Ed was drafted 2014
2015 - 2 games
2016 - 13 games
2017 - 10 games
2018 - 21 games
2019 - 22 games

Taking him until his fourth year to be a best twenty two player. That's the year after next for Giro.

Ed Langdon isn't aiming at super high levels for a footballer but if he were performing similarly in the second year of his contract extention (year after next) then I'd consider that quite handy depth.

It should also show how long it can take the outside runners to get up to speed.

A left footed Ed Landgon isn't great, it's not terrible either. I don't think I've ever seen Stefan miss the ball with his foot.
I have been looking back over the games from this year and took extra note of Langdon in the Geelong game. I'm not sure he hit a target... all game, by hand or foot.

Matera is best twenty two, he is one of the best crumbing smalls on our list, Matera, Walters and McCarthy are the three players who can kick a goal on a whim from an angle with zero point zero amount of time.

Schutlz keeps writing cheques his body can't cash with flashy kicks that do not come off.

I don't see Giro with the acceleration of Langdon or the ability to kick it 50 metres. He's more Kane Mitchell.
Delist end of 2016 Langdon and someone is going to pick him up. Delist Giro now and he's going nowhere. I know the ACL is a confounder, but he has no stand out asset beside a beep test.

I don't see Giro with the acceleration of Langdon or the ability to kick it 50 metres. He's more Kane Mitchell.
Delist end of 2016 Langdon and someone is going to pick him up. Delist Giro now and he's going nowhere. I know the ACL is a confounder, but he has no stand out asset beside a beep test.

Ed Langdon 20m sprint = 2.92 (National Combine 2014)
Stefan Giro 20m sprint = 2.93 (SA State Combine 2017)

Ed Langdon 20m sprint = 2.92 (National Combine 2014)
Stefan Giro 20m sprint = 2.93 (SA State Combine 2017)

Great. and what was Kane Mitchell's? And how often have you seen Giro take the game on and run away from someone?

Would

Give me a Giro any day over Banfield, Crowden types.

Giro has some sideways movement which buys him time (note, unsure how he goes now with the knee).

But agree with most in that we have too many D graders.

You're hopeful one of Crowden, Banfield, North, Giro 'make it' but the reality is they probably won't.

When you actually process our list... those under 190cm don't make for pleasant reading.

In order of age and under 190cm:
Stephen Hill - Injury riddled
Michael Walters - Gun
Travis Colyer - Meh
Brandon Matera - Had a good year... any more upside?
Nathan Wilson - Need to bring back his flare
Ethan Hughes - Can probably carry one of these types... not 4. I don't mind him, but think he'll be forced out.
Brett Bewley - Worth persisting with.
James Aish - I'll give him 4 games before I turn on him. Not confident.
Luke Ryan - Gun
Connor Blakely - Where to for this bloke?
Sam Switkowski - One of those... can only carry one of players. Henry should take his spot.
Darcy Tucker - We've been harsh on him. Only 22. That said needs to take that next step up this year.
Lachlan Schultz - Can only carry one of these types. He's about the 3rd I've mentioned.
Bailey Banfield - As above.
Tom North - Not ideal being outside the top 36 in your squad.
Stefan Giro - ACL. Who knows?
Mitchell Crowden - Has an innate ability to get caught HTB. Honest trier. Can only carry one of these types
Adam Cerra - Needs a step up and defined role.
Andrew Brayshaw - Developing nicely. Next ball magnet IMO.
Jason Carter - Developing nicely.
Luke Valente - Needs a nice year. By nice, a few games of AFL and consistent WAFL.
Sam Sturt - As above.

That doesn't really make pleasant reading.

Right, so how many do we need to delist to make this draft worthwhile (ie. which smokies would we look at with 58 etc.)?

Great. and what was Kane Mitchell's? And how often have you seen Giro take the game on and run away from someone?

There was that time he received a handball from the middle, put on a burst and put the ball onto the left foot for a laser pass to half forward, I can't remember who took the mark or which opponent we were playing.

Langdon and Giro have the same burst of speed, there's just been four times as many games of Langdon to see it in the last two years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back