Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

If he's not he bloody should be.

His 20m sprint of 3.30sec would not have done his chances much good (or his poor jump readings), remembering he is at the club in the WAFL with the most resources to pour into improvement in that area, and his main trick as an undersized forward is getting out on a lead, marking and goal. Yes measurements aren't everything and he definitely has game sense and consistency of skills that may be able to compensate a bit but I wouldn't want him anything earlier than pick 70.

Edit: to try and put that sprint time in perspective Scott Jones (as a mature ager) ran a 3.01 in the year we drafted him.

Last edited:
His 20m sprint of 3.30sec would not have done his chances much good (or his poor jump readings), remembering he is at the club in the WAFL with the most resources to pour into improvement in that area, and his main trick as an undersized forward is getting out on a lead, marking and goal. Yes measurements aren't everything and he definitely has game sense and consistency of skills that may be able to compensate a bit but I wouldn't want him anything earlier than pick 70.

Edit: to try and put that sprint time in perspective Scott Jones (as a mature ager) ran a 3.01 in the year we drafted him.

Reeks of state league hero who can’t make the step up against bigger quicker opponents ala Sam Collins

Reeks of state league hero who can’t make the step up against bigger quicker opponents ala Sam Collins

Im not saying he can't step it up but as an aspiring AFL player you would want to demonstrate that you were willing to put the hard work in and not just rely on talent alone. There may be another story (eg he was performing the tests injured) but the measurements in this instance doesn't paint a great picture of what you might get dedication-wise.

Or a club has guaranteed him a spot if he sandbags the combine

Clubs apparently make claims / say rubbish to potential recruits all the time; if your dream was to play AFL and you had got to almost halfway through your playing life (and not being picked up) would you hedge your bets on such a claim by one club? Or would you give yourself the best chance of getting picked up?

You’d think at AFL level Sokol would be a high half forward, doing the hard running, linking up, defending space etc, or nothing*. He’s not going to play full forward trying to get out in front of, or wrestling with, defenders that are 10 cm taller, faster and more athletic.

*The likelihood of him not making is high anyway, most players going fourth round onwards / rookie draft don’t make it anyway. If clubs thought he was a can’t miss mature ager he’d be going second round (e.g. Kelly, Ryan).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Twomey has Sharp and Taylor at 27 and 29, respectively. Hope we trade in for one of them.
If we took Sharp at #11 and Henry wipes out most of the remaining picks would it be a poor result?

I don't really mind buying a player ahead of where you think they are valued in principle.

We've spoken to Miles Bergman and Cooper Stevens. Bergman's highlights look good.
Yeah both promote as exciting talents.
Stephens in particular impresses as a genuine mid with some good athletic traits... if he was still there at 22 and (we still have it, and sharp/rivers are off the table I’d be quite happy for us to take him.

Yeah both promote as exciting talents.
Stephens in particular impresses as a genuine mid with some good athletic traits... if he was still there at 22 and (we still have it, and sharp/rivers are off the table I’d be quite happy for us to take him.
I see Stephens in the same position and quality as Robertson, but having had an injury he has slipped. He would be great value if we decide not to spend our early currency on an inside mid, which with Brayshaw, Cerra and Valente all projecting into that position would be quite possible.

I see Stephens in the same position and quality as Robertson, but having had an injury he has slipped. He would be great value if we decide not to spend our early currency on an inside mid, which with Brayshaw, Cerra and Valente all projecting into that position would be quite possible.
Yeah fair point , tho it’s more of a scenario where some of our other/early targets are already off the table that I was envisioning us taking him

If we took Sharp at #11 and Henry wipes out most of the remaining picks would it be a poor result?

I don't really mind buying a player ahead of where you think they are valued in principle.

Tbh with picks 3-25 as even as they are, Sharp being a local boy filling a need as an excellent outside mid with senior level WAFL experience, I'm starting to come around to using pick 10 on him

Yeah fair point , tho it’s more of a scenario where some of our other/early targets are already off the table that I was envisioning us taking him
Should be under consideration. I see C Stephens as less one positional as Robertson is, but Robertson obviously has the runs on the board. In that 18-30 range where we could end up having a pick, there are quite a few nice options for us.

Tbh with picks 3-25 as even as they are, Sharp being a local boy filling a need as an excellent outside mid with senior level WAFL experience, I'm starting to come around to using pick 10 on him
The question is also about strategy; can we get Sharp plus something later, or help pay for Henry?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back