Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

It doesn't matter how well you kick the ball if you can't get your hands on it

Also doesn’t matter how much you get it if you turn it over.

I’m torn with Robertson and the only reason I’d want him is that he’s from WA.

If everything else was equal I wouldn’t want him but he seems the obvious choice at 7 or 8.

If Young, Stephens and Robertson are all available I’d actually want Young and Stephens but would be content with Robertson and either of the others.

Also doesn’t matter how much you get it if you turn it over.
That's true enough. I think it's far more important for an outside player to be a great kick, the inside players just need to be able to handball creatively, win the hard ball, block their man winning it, hoof it if stuck and when marking in space they need to hit a target in 20 to 30m without much fuss.

That's true enough. I think it's far more important for an outside player to be a great kick, the inside players just need to be able to handball creatively, win the hard ball, block their man winning it, hoof it if stuck and when marking in space they need to hit a target in 20 to 30m without much fuss.

Yes. So I’m happy enough with that. I think Robertson is one of the safest bets in the top 10.

So with 2 picks I think he’s almost a certainty to fall to us.

We shouldn't overthink Robertson. Captain of the winning team at the Carnival, Larke Medal, AA in the u16s, AA in the u18s, most disposals ever recorded at a carnival. To top it off - he's a West Australian.

It's not just about his ball-winning ability, if you look through the U18s highlights, he seems to always be amongst it with tackles, pressure and 1%ers.

We shouldn't be hung up about the value of players if the Vic media rate him between 10-15. The WA boys always seem to be undervalued which is understandable when the Vic media don't see them as often as the Victoria boys. I think we'll come to regret it if we pass on Robertson.

Robertson is probably future captain potential.
Dom Sheed was last WA under 18 captain picked up by a perf side.
He's gone ok, and the aquinas influence is strong at freo, if sharp and Robertson get picked up it will be very large

Culture is so important these days and he's the kind of player you want around the club. Imagine two strong leaders and role models of Brayshaw and Robertson leading the kids. Love it.

Fun facts ... here are the Larke Medallists who have played for Freo:

Bennell, McManus, Hasleby, Schammer, Kepler, Garth Taylor

Never knew Taylor was such a talented youngster. I'll never forget Kepler's Grand Final for West Perth as an 18 year old. Absolutely dominated on the wing. Not sure what went wrong for him (with all due respect - still forged an AFL career which is still an achievement).

Not melting, simply stating there was a better option and our club didn't take it.

Will have to see how things play out but if the blues don't bid on Henry on the day then this will look a monumental stuff up
I doubt that can be proven as it is highly unlikely Carlton will bid on Henry now. They have no leverage over us anymore. We are obviously going to match and it seems highly insulting to the player they will pick instead.

Culture is so important these days and he's the kind of player you want around the club. Imagine two strong leaders and role models of Brayshaw and Robertson leading the kids. Love it.
This exactly.

Robertson is a leader, he wills his teams and pushes them. He is the type of leader we need in a young player

Not sure what went wrong for him

His Body and Brain were out of sync more than just about any player in history.
On any one day either could be brilliant and the other abysmal.
If he'd ever managed to coordinate the two he'd have been a genuine star.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can’t see Carlton bidding on Henry. They will want someone to show off as a top 10 pick.

With everyone knowing Freo will match I can see him sliding a bit (the further the better)

I'll be really pleased with getting Roberton, Henry & another quality talent. While we obviously need some runners & a dangerous small forward, I think another elite talent around the ball is a priority, especially with Mundy (who we've heavily relied on) probably playing his last season.

I think Roberton is a low risk no-brainer selection. For posters focussed on alleged kicking deficiencies, have a think about what he'd bring - quick thinker, fantastic hands, good vision, footy smarts & does the team things around the ball. Didn't dominate the U18s by accident. Reminds me a bit of Ben Cousins (in playing style & even looks a bit like him). He'll fill the hole left by Lachie Neale & then some. Plus he's ready to go.

Also very glad the club have committed to getting Liam Henry. As well as filling a specific list need (could play anywhere between wing & fwd pocket), he just seems like a well spoken, together young bloke that screams out future indigenous leader for our club. Could hopefully follow in the footsteps of Walters both as a player & as a role model.

As for our other high selection, the videos of Dylan Stephens do look really good - happy for the club to make a call based on their own due diligence.

It would be great if we could somehow engineer another pick & grab Sharp.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

I can’t see Carlton bidding on Henry. They will want someone to show off as a top 10 pick.

With everyone knowing Freo will match I can see him sliding a bit (the further the better)
Why? all clubs want others' academy players to be picked up as soon as possible, without taking the risk that they rate another player better than the academy player. If Henry is Carlton's top rated player at 9 they'll call his name. If they rate another player higher, they'll choose that player.

It makes perfect sense to me that our top draft selections should come from WA, thus eliminating the go home factor.
Picks 50+ and Rookie selections can come from interstate.
I’ve also heard Stephens described as being a left footed Schammer.

Apart from the go home thing we have bee pretty poor over the years at selecting talented Victorians. Approximately two in three that we have chosen have turned out to be rubbish.
On the other hand about 60% of WA draftees have had decent careers at Freo. Our main problem is that we’ve overlooked too many with real talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back