Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread #2

Purpellian Anchor

Purple Admiralty
Oct 14, 2011
Northam
AFL Club
Fremantle
Reflecting on some of the comments as to whether we could have done better, especially wanting no deficit (me too), it is pretty much expecting all positive outcomes in a "storm of chaos". Behind the scenes it is hard to know what was offered and what was not, or even what could have been.

With clubs all beating the door down for their own ends and advantage during the draft, getting favourable deals with eyes on a certain player but in relation to other clubs likely choices, then throw in bidding scenerios, there has to be a lot of luck and timing as well as clever strategy.

During and at the end of proceedings, 2019 draft, it was also important for the club to be confident about their ability and future strategy to work our way into a better position in the 2020 draft if needs be. I suspect that was/is the case.

heypenny

All Australian
Oct 10, 2006
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
Read something the other day that we only have 8 left on the entire list from 2016
I was thinking about this last night (while I couldn't sleep).

We built our squad around three drafts ten years ago (2007-09) - picking up Mayne, Ibbo, Hill, Suban, Ballas, Clarke, De Boer, Walters, C Pearce, Fyfe and Barlow (not incl Palmer and Mora). Pretty amazing to pick up pick up 11 best 22 players in three drafts.

I'm hoping 2016-19 is the same for us too - Logue, Cox, Darcy, Ryan, Brayshaw, Cerra, Sturt, Valentine, Serong, Young and Henry. We'll have to wait and see

(Log in to remove this ad.)

heypenny

All Australian
Oct 10, 2006
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
Reflecting on some of the comments as to whether we could have done better, especially wanting no deficit (me too), it is pretty much expecting all positive outcomes in a "storm of chaos". Behind the scenes it is hard to know what was offered and what was not, or even what could have been.

With clubs all beating the door down for their own ends and advantage during the draft, getting favourable deals with eyes on a certain player but in relation to other clubs likely choices, then throw in bidding scenerios, there has to be a lot of luck and timing as well as clever strategy.

During and at the end of proceedings, 2019 draft, it was also important for the club to be confident about their ability and future strategy to work our way into a better position in the 2020 draft if needs be. I suspect that was/is the case.
It was frustrating how it ended (but I don't think anyone expected Henry to be bid on before Green). The shoe will be on the other foot in future and we'll be able get favourable deals for teams desperate to move up the order.

On reflection of this draft it would be ideal to have multiple third round picks in 2020. With all the academy players tied to clubs (and desperate for points) it would be very favourable to accumulate picks in the 30s-50s that you can package up for early second-rounders.

TheLastCall

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
It was frustrating how it ended (but I don't think anyone expected Henry to be bid on before Green). The shoe will be on the other foot in future and we'll be able get favourable deals for teams desperate to move up the order.

On reflection of this draft it would be ideal to have multiple third round picks in 2020. With all the academy players tied to clubs (and desperate for points) it would be very favourable to accumulate picks in the 30s-50s that you can package up for early second-rounders.
To have these picks you need room on your team sheet.

Who’s getting cut next year for these multiple picks.

I doubt we’ll have as many spot available next year.

heypenny

All Australian
Oct 10, 2006
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
To have these picks you need room on your team sheet.

Who’s getting cut next year for these multiple picks.

I doubt we’ll have as many spot available next year.
I understand this but you don't settle list spots until deep into November. Judging by what happened this year - third round picks (and points in general) could be hot property during trade week and in the lead up to the draft.

I'm not criticising the club - they did the best they could under the circumstances but just thinking about longer-term trading and drafting trends.

Dockeroo

Rookie
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Maybe a draft expert here can help with this:
We only have a first rounder and a second rounder for next season. So say for example we have 4 list spots available on draft night 2020, we will automatically receive 2 picks that slot in and the end of the draft order, nominally something along the lines of 84 & 85?
Given there will be a huge about of picks that disappear ahead of us as academy and F/S bids are matched, those picks will probably jump forward very significantly and could end up in the 50s maybe?? Is that realistic or not?
There was only 65 players selected this year on the main draft which effectively means that 4th rounders are getting passed on.
I know we will have our own academy kids to match on but it sounds like they could well be late/rookie draft bids anyway.. Apart from maybe Joel Western. thoughts?

Danny82

Team Captain
May 29, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
We only have a first rounder and a second rounder for next season. So say for example we have 4 list spots available on draft night 2020, we will automatically receive 2 picks that slot in and the end of the draft order, nominally something along the lines of 84 & 85?
Given there will be a huge about of picks that disappear ahead of us as academy and F/S bids are matched, those picks will probably jump forward very significantly and could end up in the 50s maybe?? Is that realistic or not?
There was only 65 players selected this year on the main draft which effectively means that 4th rounders are getting passed on.
I know we will have our own academy kids to match on but it sounds like they could well be late/rookie draft bids anyway.. Apart from maybe Joel Western. thoughts?
Certainly not a draft expert, but we would have a round 6 and round 7 pick. They would come sliding in as the bids come and teams pass. Although, they need to be low enough to have points at the time of any of our bids.

I’d be certain we’d do a downgrade of our first round pick next year. If this year taught us anything you are best leaving this to the day before the draft or live trade to get maximum value. When going the upgrade route need to do this as early as possible.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Really difficult to predict what picks we will actually have this far out. I am not a draft expert, but I think your comment about picks at the end of the draft.

On the face of it, if we had an NGA player bid on after that 2nd pick, we cannot match. We may not be able to match with a bid after our 1st.

Paracleet

Emotion is not going to get the job done..
Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Really difficult to predict what picks we will actually have this far out. I am not a draft expert, but I think your comment about picks at the end of the draft.

On the face of it, if we had an NGA player bid on after that 2nd pick, we cannot match. We may not be able to match with a bid after our 1st.
You match with points from that round in the following draft.

Purpletown

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2014
Restumping
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC Denver Broncos
Players that are out of contract at the end of next year,

Mundy (retire?)
Matera
Cox
Bewely
Dixon
Carter
Schultz
Valente
North
Banfield
McCarthy
Pina
Watson
O'Reilly

We're going to have vacancy's at the end of the year, none of those players can afford to have poor seasons.
The list managment in regard to the better players would appear to be sound as those players are almost to a man the guys who will be candidates for getting pushed out the door at the end of 2020. A few of the players on that list still have time on their side but most would be keen to stay fit and give it their best shot this coming season.
Most of the best 22 and the younger guys with time to prove themselves are under contract past the end of 2020. Not that contracts are as watertight as they once were.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

blue shark

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Jackson Callow key forward is already on the radar, Logan McDonald WA is another key forward.
Really depends on Dixon this year, if he improves at Peel to be a genuine option?

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
The list managment in regard to the better players would appear to be sound as those players are almost to a man the guys who will be candidates for getting pushed out the door at the end of 2020. A few of the players on that list still have time on their side but most would be keen to stay fit and give it their best shot this coming season.
Most of the best 22 and the younger guys with time to prove themselves are under contract past the end of 2020. Not that contracts are as watertight as they once were.
Having 14 who are not in the "better players" category and 2 draft picks is a little unnerving, especially when one of those draft picks is our degraded 1st. That effectively translates into a number of those guys being extended and others being replaced by late picks and in the rookie draft.

Taylor

Jul 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Having 14 who are not in the "better players" category and 2 draft picks is a little unnerving, especially when one of those draft picks is our degraded 1st. That effectively translates into a number of those guys being extended and others being replaced by late picks and in the rookie draft.
We only need two picks at the draft, we can upgrade a rookie to fill the third (and make space for potential cat B rookie/s)

Docker82

Premiership Player
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I reckon a lot of movement could come to and from the rookie list tbh.

We have four rookies (Dixon, North, Watson, O'Reilly) who will probably be delisted if they dont improve significantly, the first three probably either get promoted or delisted. We have three Cat B rookies too who may be better off available for selection in 2021.

Then I think we'll be okay with Colyer and one or two of the other boys contracted until 2021 sitting on the rookie list in their final year.

blue shark

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I reckon a lot of movement could come to and from the rookie list tbh.

We have four rookies (Dixon, North, Watson, O'Reilly) who will probably be delisted if they dont improve significantly, the first three probably either get promoted or delisted. We have three Cat B rookies too who may be better off available for selection in 2021.

Then I think we'll be okay with Colyer and one or two of the other boys contracted until 2021 sitting on the rookie list in their final year.
Dixon and North must know this it for them? List looks to have plenty of mids, and with Watson, O Reilly, others we have depth for backman.
Forwards look better in the small/medium class, but we have Hogan, Tabs injury concerns and Cox who can play forward/back/ruck.
I wonder if Jamieson was on our list of potentials?
WC know Kennedy is declining, still have Brander, Allen, Waterman, Williams, Jamieson as backups
All of a sudden Meek may become very important to us?

Snuffaluphagus

Sep 10, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle

Wallsy really needs to start living up to his role as the carrier of bags a bit more Snuffaluphagus
I think after helping Bell get the Lion and the Silver Fox fired the power has gone to his head. Disgraceful number of people carrying their own bags in this video.

On a side note, Baeshaw is looking absolutely massive

Top Bottom