Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

Man I love this stuff. Twomey's inside word on the draft

Carton rated Young at 2 hence they tried to trade up to 6
Adelaide would do the trade if they could be convinced McAsey would be there at 9
We deliberately interviewed McAsey a few days before the draft and had open talks with Geelong about trading a pick to Geelong (likely for 14 and 17)

From that, Carlton definitely had some spite in bidding for Henry ahead of Green

From that, Carlton definitely had some spite in bidding for Henry ahead of Green
Spite from SoS? Surely not. When was the last time he said anything spiteful publicly? Oh yeah just this week, about his own (former) employer :)

Carlton does look a bit of a mess from the outside looking in. Maybe Cripps, SPS, Fisher... are a possibility to look elsewhere in the coming years. Not sure Jack Martin realised what he was getting into either :oops:

Plenty from Carlton's BF board backing SoS on here the other day. Have they done a 180 on him yet?

Adelaide would do the trade if they could be convinced McAsey would be there at 9
We deliberately interviewed McAsey a few days before the draft and had open talks with Geelong about trading a pick to Geelong (likely for 14 and 17)

Flanders, Serong, Henry is not a bad result, but Young's kicking accuracy is something to envy.

If Twomey was aware of that then we should also have been aware of that spite and taken the opportunity away from them by bidding on Green ourselves.

Very glad this draft revealed that "best available" is a load of rubbish even at the start of the draft. Clubs do take the best available but in the context of their needs. Melbourne had Jackson as best available because he fit their needs. Adelaide had McAsey as their best available because he fit their needs.

Love that we interviewed McAsey to make Adelaide think we might pick him and avoid trading with Carlton.

Very glad this draft revealed that "best available" is a load of rubbish even at the start of the draft. Clubs do take the best available but in the context of their needs. Melbourne had Jackson as best available because he fit their needs. Adelaide had McAsey as their best available because he fit their needs.

Love that we interviewed McAsey to make Adelaide think we might pick him and avoid trading with Carlton.

Maybe we would have taken him with A.Pearce chronically injured.

Maybe we would have taken him with A.Pearce chronically injured.
Pretty sure the APearce news (post draft) was new because Butters was lined up to stay with him and got changed to Wilson at the last moment.

I also really doubt an 18yo is going to come in and fill the void of Alex Pearce over our other options next year. Cox and Logue next in line - they'll just have to step up if Pearce doesn't recover in time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They would want to hope Stocker is worth pick 2 ;)

As GWS were not going to take Green if bid on early, maybe we didn't want him that early either. We don't know.
According to Twomey, they were prepared to match a bid at pick 3

"But by draft night, the Giants had decided if Melbourne bid on Green, they would match it. It was unlikely, but a chance, so the Giants worked on ways to match it by moving out pick four in a trade for multiple first-round selections. "

They would want to hope Stocker is worth pick 2 ;)

According to Twomey, they were prepared to match a bid at pick 3

"But by draft night, the Giants had decided if Melbourne bid on Green, they would match it. It was unlikely, but a chance, so the Giants worked on ways to match it by moving out pick four in a trade for multiple first-round selections. "
Fair enough.

Great details in that article.

Gold Coast were ready to take Sharp at #15 but they rated Flanders at the top end of the draft. When Flanders slid down they traded out #15 and #20 to make sure they got him. Then they traded their future #11 to get back in the 2nd round for Sharp.

So in Gold Coast's overall big picture, it wasn't really "2020 #11 for 2019 #27 so they could get Sharp. Gawd, throwing picks around like confetti". It was more like 2019 #15 for Sharp, and 2019 #20 & 2020 #11 for Flanders. That's the overall outcome they achieved.

Also interesting that Robertson was never really in the hunt as an early pick at all. Late teens at best with someone like Geelong or Richmond

Gold Coast were ready to take Sharp at #15 but they rated Flanders at the top end of the draft. When Flanders slid down they traded out #15 and #20 to make sure they got him. Then they traded their future #11 to get back in the 2nd round for Sharp.

So in Gold Coast's overall big picture, it wasn't really "2020 #11 for 2019 #27 so they could get Sharp. Gawd, throwing picks around like confetti". It was more like 2019 #15 for Sharp, and 2019 #20 & 2020 #11 for Flanders. That's the overall outcome they achieved.

Also interesting that Robertson was never really in the hunt as an early pick at all. Late teens at best with someone like Geelong or Richmond
the good news out of all of that is Sharp went to GC, giving us a fair opportunity in a few years to get him back when he's had enough

I hear this argument, I understand where GC is coming from but I think picks have inherent value. If Sharp was still on the board at 40 and they traded 11 for him, would it be a good change? No, of course not. 11 for 27 is a ridiculous trade - regardless of how they rated the player.

Also, no way GC are doing that trade unless they are getting the ridiculous concessions they got, it made a mockery of the whole thing

the good news out of all of that is Sharp went to GC, giving us a fair opportunity in a few years to get him back when he's had enough
Pessimism time ... Sharp is a part of "generation next" that finally finds some winning form at the Gold Coast. In a few years time, he is a member of their first finals team and in excitement of that first finals campaign signs a long-term deal at the GC saying "he wants to be a part of their first premiership team".

He never sees WA again.

I hear this argument, I understand where GC is coming from but I think picks have inherent value. If Sharp was still on the board at 40 and they traded 11 for him, would it be a good change? No, of course not. 11 for 27 is a ridiculous trade - regardless of how they rated the player.

Also, no way GC are doing that trade unless they are getting the ridiculous concessions they got, it made a mockery of the whole thing
Yeah, fair enough. I just think that these guys think about trades in terms of the player coming in rather than the picks/points. Of course that doesn't mean they never consider points/picks but it is at a bit of a lower priority than we think.

I reckon some of them look at this time of year in terms of "we got in a ruck, three mids and a skinny hbf. But boy can the HBF kick. That ball just pops right off the boot. And the inside mid: clean hands. Clean. And that ruck? Sure he can't kick but his vertical leap. Smashed the combine record." Job done. Whether that was with 1st round picks or 4th rounders.

Scouts love "talent" more than anything else.

Pessimism time ... Sharp is a part of "generation next" that finally finds some winning form at the Gold Coast. In a few years time, he is a member of their first finals team and in excitement of that first finals campaign signs a long-term deal at the GC saying "he wants to be a part of their first premiership team".

He never sees WA again.
Reading the article I got the impression GCS were going to use 20 (22) on Sharp. There were others at 15 (17) still likely on the board they rated highly. Flanders rated very highly including by Freo and if Carlton traded up for Young we would have settled on Flanders/Serong.

Ive thrown a few bricks at GCS and happy to put my neck on the line because no way I’d swap pick 11 (prob pick 10 after we slide just outside the 10) for pick 27.

I feel it’s irresponsible and the AFL have given them this position where the picks are worth minimal because they received such generous concessions. Not only do they get very good top end draft picks but they have got a free hit on academy players.

They further showed disrespect for draft picks by telling Carlton to give us something extra good for Martin or get nicked because we have such awesome draft picks. It’s the same sort of attitude GWS had for the first few years of their existence and I don’t like it.

Back to Sharp. If we did the trade with GCS then very likely we could have ended up with Robertson (17) and Sharp (22). Hence the pre-draft sighting at our HQ.

I found the shenanigans very interesting - esp. our extra meetings with McAsey and then making it know we were having discussions with Geelong about a pick swap for 8. Hope the board approve a pay rise for whoever was responsible for that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back