Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

For mine if Brad Hill is to leave the club, I would prefer a 1st plus a 1st rd-equivalent player rather than two firsts, especially if one is a future 1st

I reckon Geelong's #14 plus Jordan Clark is better than a St Kilda 2019 1st rounder and a 2020 1st rounder.
In a way I agree. Whilst St Kilda's first pick next year would be great, I'm not sure why we need it. We already have Melbourne's future 2nd next year in a compromised draft. Are there any players coming out of contract next year that we have our eyes on and hence why we could stockpile 2020 picks? I don't think so. I would much rather get two picks this year (even if it is like 12+13 which is worse than 12+future 1st) as it enables us to get an extra year of development.

But at the same time I don't think Hill is going to Geelong and even if he did, they wouldn't trade Clarke. And there is no one really of interest at Saints

For mine if Brad Hill is to leave the club, I would prefer a 1st plus a 1st rd-equivalent player rather than two firsts, especially if one is a future 1st

I reckon Geelong's #14 plus Jordan Clark is better than a St Kilda 2019 1st rounder and a 2020 1st rounder.

Take this any day from the cats but it won’t happen.

The interesting part is what moves between Freo and the saints with their future 1st and 12. A future first will be around the 6 mark again and whilst there are a lot of academy kids etc still puts us in a great spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rather take the two first rounders. Go to the draft and cap off the rebuild with 3 or 4 gun kids who want to be at Freo.

That universe would be where Clark had all the ligaments in his elbow reattached and is causing issues for him. That's the only reason I'd be expecting them to let him go.
I think our connection to Menegola reveals he'd be the most likely player to be included in a Geelong hill deal

In a way I agree. Whilst St Kilda's first pick next year would be great, I'm not sure why we need it. We already have Melbourne's future 2nd next year in a compromised draft. Are there any players coming out of contract next year that we have our eyes on and hence why we could stockpile 2020 picks? I don't think so. I would much rather get two picks this year (even if it is like 12+13 which is worse than 12+future 1st) as it enables us to get an extra year of development.

But at the same time I don't think Hill is going to Geelong and even if he did, they wouldn't trade Clarke. And there is no one really of interest at Saints

I think there's a geniune chance St Kilda finish bottom 4. How much does a compromised draft impact having something between pick 1 and 4?

good points.

I'm always a bit baffled when people on this board constantly say the X player is being played out of position when they get played in defense.

Defense is actually the easiest position on the field in the current game. If you can't succeed off the half back line then your next stop is the WAFL not the midfield.

Nothing blakely did this year screamed out that he was ready for more midfield time. We already had Langdon who was forfilling the "bomb it in without looking" spot, so i'm not sure what Blakely was going to add.

Spoken like a true forward who has never had to play defense in his/her life. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

I think our connection to Menegola reveals he'd be the most likely player to be included in a Geelong hill deal
It's more because Menegola and Narkle are the Geelong players in Colin Young's management group.

I think there's a geniune chance St Kilda finish bottom 4. How much does a compromised draft impact having something between pick 1 and 4?
I couldn't tell you tbh. But the fact that we already have a future 2nd would make it weird to go in to next season with two 2nds and two 1sts, plus all the other picks. Maybe we will on trade a future 1st?

Because that is the currency St Kilda has. I would be looking to convert it into multiple picks in the 10-20 range this year for the WA kids.
If they finish bottom six it would be very valuable.
I just don't like the idea of having two 1sts and two 2nds when there doesn't appear to be anyone of note coming back to Freo next season. If there was a Hogan type player coming out of contract next year then it would be a good plan, but I don't know of anyone who we could go after. Would rather spend the picks now, getting one year ahead and keeping the opportunity alive of a premiership tilt while Walters and Fyfe are still around

Yeah exactly. 1st rounders will still be valuable next year - not all the top talent is NGA. They are also incredibly valuable at trade as clubs will want to trade up to get ahead of the bids on their players. Gives us plenty of scope to get a player before bids on our NGA boys, heaps of currency to trade in players, get points for Western and Walker trading for picks late in the draft and probably allows us to invest in the 2021 draft on top (rather than running at a pick deficit year after year).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spoken like a true forward who has never had to play defense in his/her life. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
depends on the forward and defense position. the full back line definitely harder than full forward because if your getting destroyed their is nowhere to hide (i hate getting put back to full back to play on those midfielders or full forwards with pace and it always happened). Full forward i love because most full backs can't get ya on the burst and goals are nice. Centre half back is my favourite, centre half forward is a struggle so much work and effort.

A lot of Saints fans already starting to argue on their trade thread that giving up their first pick next year is worth it for Hill - the truth is starting to dawn on them and the wheels are falling off. Bell should hold firm here - 12 plus next years first and don't give anything more than a 3rd rounder back.
If they don't accept Hill stays.

I just don't like the idea of having two 1sts and two 2nds when there doesn't appear to be anyone of note coming back to Freo next season. If there was a Hogan type player coming out of contract next year then it would be a good plan, but I don't know of anyone who we could go after. Would rather spend the picks now, getting one year ahead and keeping the opportunity alive of a premiership tilt while Walters and Fyfe are still around

I think having two years (2019/2020) of drafts where we bunch our picks inside the top 30 would be pretty good for our long term success.

It would also give us protected picks (#) going into the 2019 draft. Allowing us to trade in and secure players we want as required.

# - protected picks in that when we go into the draft our picks are pruned back to match the number of available list spots we have. If we had #6, #12, #22, #79 and #83 but only four spots on the list then #83 disappears.

If we go in with the hope of extra picks in the teens and twenties to get the players we want, then we can trade in the 2020 picks for those selections and use them.

Defense is actually the easiest position on the field in the current game. If you can't succeed off the half back line then your next stop is the WAFL not the midfield.
I think that was more true in the past but times have changed. You look at all the best teams and the thing they all have is strong back lines with very good players in them. Richmond, West Coast and the Dogs all relied on attacking from intercepts by their half back line. Collingwood's improvement imo was all about them improving their back line. We ourselves always look a lot better when our back line is good. I think most clubs have moved beyond chucking in left over mids into their backline because mids often don't have the right set of attributes to play off half back.

I think having two years (2019/2020) of drafts where we bunch our picks inside the top 30 would be pretty good for our long term success.

It would also give us protected picks (#) going into the 2019 draft. Allowing us to trade in and secure players we want as required.

# - protected picks in that when we go into the draft our picks are pruned back to match the number of available list spots we have. If we had #6, #12, #22, #79 and #83 but only four spots on the list then #83 disappears.

If we go in with the hope of extra picks in the teens and twenties to get the players we want, then we can trade in the 2020 picks for those selections and use them.
Yeah I suppose it would be great for long-term success, I'm just getting greedy in trying to go for the flag while Walters and Fyfe are still good

It's all a game of probability. Some players are more likely to 'get it' and make a professional career but it's all chance/down to the player.
Would 22 for Aish, 35 and 56 be a reasonable outcome. Only 100 less points for henry. Can swap a future 3rd for extra points points too if required. More points for a premium pick would be ideal though.

It's not a bad idea.

Looking at the Pies board, seems like the general feeling on Aish is between neutral and rated as a good role player who could be more but is always injured so it hasn’t happened yet. Still time at 23 though.

I’d be fine with it if it doesn’t cost much. The concern is if he’s always injured at the Pies why would it be any different with us and our history with injury management?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back