Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont disgaree he's worth more thatn a pick in the 50's, wasnt really my point.

Just thought it was a good chance for an easy win for a guy being pushed out. We paid for Aish with a fair price, I dont think we should have had to
Reading the narrative on AFL Trade Talk we did try the low ball offer but it was Collingwood we were dealing with. Offers of 58 + St K 4th were knocked back.

We were committed as was Aish. I Agee would have been nice to keep the second but the moment we were connected to Aish yesterday I connected the dots and expected a second to be involved. It was never going to be our second. For mine you could raffle the Melb and St K second picks. Lets hope Collingwood fall a little and Melb don't rise much.

Lol at those thinking Bell's rubbish because of the Aish trade. You think Bell wanted to go after Aish? Was Coll. happy to keep Aish another year and deal with recontracting after his runs out? Did Coll. approach Freo to offload Aish?

Pretty simple really. JLo wanted Aish and Bell had to go to Coll. cap in hand to appease his new coach. Why would Coll give him away for nothing? They could deal with it next year. Aish obviously wasn't expecting to go anywhere. Fact is Bell had no choice but to pay overs to make a deal happen that Coll hadn't even thought of. Hence the future 2nd round.

Blaming Bell for not getting Aish for a bag of chips is just naive.

At this stage we have three spots on our senior list and two on our rookie list. My assumption has always been that Jason Carter will be a Category A rookie next season so he can play from Round One but the club has not announced anything. And before someone points out he was upgraded again - it was temporary so he could play games in 2019.

Delisting North will give us an extra spot meaning we will use Pick 58. I don’t get what the use of Pick 69 actually is unless we’re delisting a contracted player, which I honestly cannot see happening.

You realize that the trade happened seconds before the deadline. It was a choice of either getting him at that price or not getting him at all. There wasnt another option and clearly Collingwood could have kept him. In the end we decided to do the trade because his former line coach and our current knew coach must rate him more than people on here. I think Ill go with his view. Collingwood clearly had no problems keeping under the salary cap if they kept him or they would have accepted a lower offer and not waited to the last possible moment to sign off on the trade. I still remember the draft preview of Aish. He was described as pure class with a ball in hand and very athletic. We need those types of players desperately.
Bro, I trust JL, I think he's a good pick-up, I think we paid a fair price. I realise everything you said.

I just think we should have been stronger with Collingwood who clearly have salary cap issues, will easily replace Aish with Quaynor, and will free up to 500k on their books apparently. We had a strong hand in that one and think we should have gotten a better deal

Did anyone listen to Bell’s media conference? I got the impression our trading for this draft still isn’t done. He specifically mentioned our future picks and review our position over the next month.

I wouldn’t be upset trading our 2020 R1 & a 2020 R2 (since we have two, I assume we can trade both) and/or 22 to get another pick before the Henry bid.

Could we do something like 2020 R1 + 22 to Carlton for 9 + 48 + 2020 R2

Bell obviously looked at all potential mature replacements. Simply had to replace Hill and Langdon in someway. We developed Ed efficiently since 2015. He’s in his prime if not about to get even better. Hill is only 26.
We use picks and in the mean time do what? Cerra isn’t even close to half a tank of Hill’s, nor is Brayshaw. I’m happy with Aish and Acres. Apart from Menadue and Mcintosh, there’s nothing else.
Backing Jlo for Aish to get over his shock and play him in his role. Same with Acres.

Brayshaw has a huge engine. His gut running is Cousins like without the meth.

(https://demonland.com/forums/topic/31656-norwood-makes-sanfl-grand-final/page/3/)

Great junior development (Brown, Chippendale & Smart). Luck to have the nephew of a legend play as a 16yo and star. James Aish is the closest thing that I've seen in > 2 decades to one Robbie Flower. I can give no higher commendation. James holds the ball cocked in his left hand with a straight elbow just waiting to handpass while teasing the opposition to tackle him which they inevitably fail to do. Super vision and consumate skills. He only needs to bounce the ball with his left hand and it would be Robbie. Andrew, his father played for SA but did not play enough games for Norwood to enable the Crows to f/s James. If God (and I don't mean AD) allows this guy to end up at Melbourne, we will be very lucky. Finally, excellent supportive educational but structured coaching by Nathan Bassett.

Did anyone listen to Bell’s media conference? I got the impression our trading for this draft still isn’t done. He specifically mentioned our future picks and review our position over the next month.

I wouldn’t be upset trading our 2020 R1 & a 2020 R2 (since we have two, I assume we can trade both) and/or 22 to get another pick before the Henry bid.

If we get all the 1st round picks then no-one else can bid. #7, #8, #9, #10 thanks Belly. If he can't achieve that then I think we need to let him go.

correct...but he did say they will probably play around with the three future seconds etc for picks in the current draft...after sussing it out:thumbsu:

can you give a break down of that...number delisted, those likely to be rookies etc?

Senior List
OUTS
Delisted/Retired: Sandilands, Kersten, Bennell, Jones, Ballantyne (5)
Traded: Hill, Langdon (2)

INS
Upgraded: Giro, Hughes (2)
Traded: Acres, Aish (2)

Rookie List
OUTS
Delisted: Nyhuis (1)

INS
Mid Season Draft: O’Reilly (1)

To add to that the club has not said a thing about whether Carter is a Category A, Category B Rookie next year and have announced nothing outside on him being on the list next year. I think he should really a Category A rookie as it makes him available for senior selection without us having a long term injury.

From discussion above, 22 shapes as a pretty useful pick too. Slides down a couple after academy picks, but last year the early second round picks were popular as clubs took stock after the break following first round.

Hopefully 22 and either (or both) of the future seconds is attractive enough for us to move up when time is right.

I'd guess we'd have to take the risk if we were giving up future first. That might start to look reckless..

At this stage we have three spots on our senior list and two on our rookie list. My assumption has always been that Jason Carter will be a Category A rookie next season so he can play from Round One but the club has not announced anything. And before someone points out he was upgraded again - it was temporary so he could play games in 2019.

Delisting North will give us an extra spot meaning we will use Pick 58. I don’t get what the use of Pick 69 actually is unless we’re delisting a contracted player, which I honestly cannot see happening.

58 and 69 will be the extra points with 22 I would assume, barring any trades pre-Henry bid.

22 + 58 + 69 = 845 + 170 + 49 points respectively = 1064

Which gives us the ability to match a Henry bid as early as 11 without going into points defecit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

58 and 69 will be the extra points with 22 I would assume, barring any trades pre-Henry bid.

Which gives us the ability to match a Henry bid as early as 11 without going into points defecit.
We will have 8 and 11 after Tom Green bid so any bid after our seconds pick will not require the extra points from 69

The melts over the Aish trade are ridiculous. Yeah it sucks coughing up that future 2nd but as others have pointed out, points wise, we got him on the cheap. Let's all chill, let JLo get to work and assess the value of this trade after we've seen what Aish can do. If he can stay fit and string together a solid 22 games we may come to view this trade in a rather optimistic light. We certainly can't judge it now.

Fact of the matter is, there's still a multitude of swaps we can make to get back into the early parts of the draft. That being said, if we can't trade back in, taking 3 elite kids is hardly a loss

It doesn’t work like that.

If you have four spots available you start draft night with four picks. The points that Pick 69 carries doesn’t matter if the AFL delete it from existence.

Unless we plan on delisting North and moving a contracted player to the rookie list I’m really not sure what purpose Pick 69 serves. I reckon it’ll be gone in some capacity next week.

Melbourne and West Coast both have two picks in the first five rounds of the draft. Maybe we can tempt them with something.

Senior List
OUTS
Delisted/Retired: Sandilands, Kersten, Bennell, Jones, Ballantyne (5)
Traded: Hill, Langdon (2)

INS
Traded: Acres, Aish (2)

Rookie List
OUTS
Delisted: Nyhuis (1)

INS
Mid Season Draft: O’Reilly (1)

To add to that the club has not said a thing about whether Carter is a Category A, Category B Rookie next year and have announced nothing outside on him being on the list next year. I think he should really a Category A rookie as it makes him available for senior selection without us having a long term injury.

Carter is in the senior list if you look at the website

We have 3 live picks (4 if North is delisted) and 1 rookie spot

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Carter is in the senior list if you look at the website

We have 3 live picks (4 if North is delisted) and 1 rookie spot

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’m not a betting man but I’m 110% sure Carter is not starting in the senior list next season.

Our website means nothing. Hughes was listed as on the senior list all season despite never actually being so.

Giro’s contract extension specifically states he’s on the senior list for 2020. I’m not sure why the club would break that contract.

i wouldn’t lose next years 1st under any circumstances and I’d be reluctant to give up Melbournes 2nd rounder to be honest. I’d love to invest a bit into 2020, we need to get two good drafts in a row. We haven’t done that for a while. Our 1st rounder is likely to be before Joel Western, can’t see such a small player going that early.

we’ve got two ways to play this year, use 22 and try and move up the draft, say turn 10 into 8 or 6.

If we are confident Henry gets past 10, then split 22 into maximum points. That should easily net us enough points to cover a bid at pick 11. For instance 22 and 58, 69 into Richmonds 3 picks in the late 30s / 40’s.

Do we have enough list space for 5 players?

If we take a look at needs for clubs with picks in this range:

1. GCS - Rowell
2. GCS - Anderson
3. GWS - Green (matches MEL bid)
4. MEL - Serong
5. ADE - Stephens
6. SYD - Young/Ash (they need defenders)
7. FRE - Robertson
8. MEL - Weightman
9. CAR - Flanders/Kemp
10. FRE - Sharpe/Jackson

I’m not too worried and IMO a top 10 bid would be reach for Henry

The melts over the Aish trade are ridiculous. Yeah it sucks coughing up that future 2nd but as others have pointed out, points wise, we got him on the cheap. Let's all chill, let JLo get to work and assess the value of this trade after we've seen what Aish can do. If he can stay fit and string together a solid 22 games we may come to view this trade in a rather optimistic light. We certainly can't judge it now.

Fact of the matter is, there's still a multitude of swaps we can make to get back into the early parts of the draft. That being said, if we can't trade back in, taking 3 elite kids is hardly a loss

Agree that there are lots of positives coming from acquiring Aish and I'm excited to have him on board, but I think the criticism of coughing up the second round pick has basis. Ultimately 3 future seconds is a really strong hand to trade into the 10-20 range and I believe the point they're making is that we might have made it unnecessarily hard for ourselves to do so now having lost that additional pick. Especially given from all accounts Aish was being squeezed out anyway by salary cap pressure.

It's one of those ones where we'll have to wait and see how it turns out. Ultimately I think we'll all be pretty happy with the outcome once 9 goes by and there's no Henry bid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back