Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

It doesn’t work like that.

If you have four spots available you start draft night with four picks. The points that Pick 69 carries doesn’t matter if the AFL delete it from existence.

Unless we plan on delisting North and moving a contracted player to the rookie list I’m really not sure what purpose Pick 69 serves. I reckon it’ll be gone in some capacity next week.

Melbourne and West Coast both have two picks in the first five rounds of the draft. Maybe we can tempt them with something.

Fair enough, you would think there would be pick movement then to occur

There’s two live picks between Pick 7 and 10.

I don’t see why Melbourne would trade their future first rounder to get into the first round this year to make a bid on an Academy player.

I think we’ll probably be fine but who knows.

If we take a look at needs for clubs with picks in this range:

1. GCS - Rowell
2. GCS - Anderson
3. GWS - Green (matches MEL bid)
4. MEL - Serong
5. ADE - Stephens
6. SYD - Young/Ash (they need defenders)
7. FRE - Robertson
8. MEL - Weightman
9. CAR - Flanders/Kemp
10. FRE - Sharpe/Jackson

I’m not too worried and IMO a top 10 bid would be reach for Henry

pretty close I think....and there are a few smokies that could be in the top ten who are under the radar

Just to prove to anyone who won’t listen that Giro is on the senior list next year. It’s part of his contract. We won’t break this contract due to an unforeseen injury.

Lol all the people melting about the Aish trade. We got him cheap because our new coach had inside info about them umming and ahhhing about his next contract ($$$$$) given their cap situation. It is not like Patton at all, he is a B grade player on A grade money now coming off a third reco. That's a salary dump. With someone like Aish it's far more murky. If he'd had a good 2020 they may have prefered to keep him and push someone else out (my point is its not clear cut like it was with Scully* and now Patton)
They didn't come to us pushing him out the door, we insider trader robbed them. Why do you think it went down to the last 10 minutes??

*GWS were right about Skully btw, he's cooked. Betcha Patton is too.

Just to prove to anyone who won’t listen that Giro is on the senior list next year. It’s part of his contract. We won’t break this contract due to an unforeseen injury.
Clubs have to actually be willing to have Henry at that pick. I highly doubt Henry gets bid on in the top 10.

i wouldn’t lose next years 1st under any circumstances and I’d be reluctant to give up Melbournes 2nd rounder to be honest. I’d love to invest a bit into 2020, we need to get two good drafts in a row. We haven’t done that for a while. Our 1st rounder is likely to be before Joel Western, can’t see such a small player going that early.

we’ve got two ways to play this year, use 22 and try and move up the draft, say turn 10 into 8 or 6.

If we are confident Henry gets past 10, then split 22 into maximum points. That should easily net us enough points to cover a bid at pick 11. For instance 22 and 58, 69 into Richmonds 3 picks in the late 30s / 40’s.

Do we have enough list space for 5 players?

This years draft is the one to invest in, we don't want to wait for 2020 and then 2021, 2022 or we become Gold Coast. This year the U18 talent in WA is good so we need to strike while the iron is hot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Regardless of how you judge our trade period, the facts are that Acres and Aish are now Freo players.

One didn't choose to come, one wanted to it seems - so on both counts we should particularly make them welcome.

To wade into a barrage of criticism and attack that they are 'meh' or otherwise worthless trades before they've even kicked a footy for us is hardly going to make them feel they want to do their best for their new club.

What's done is done. Let's get behind our own.

We can delist him and take him as a rookie, he will get the same pay, rookies floor pay is lower but we will honour the pay of his contract.

I think we should just de delist north and move giro to rookie list. Maybe even crowden or Shultz to rookie list also just to allow the extra spots.

I think we really want to be taking 4 picks minimum in this draft, as so many wa players and have a good chance to trade back into the second round.

Liam has a lot of other weaknesses that folk are overlooking...runs so fast he trips over the wind, is a dirty footballer - likes to slip over bounce up and do it repeatedly, and sometimes slide in and slide out...tends to over possess the ball as he will get four or five pozzies when in congestion before he breaks away. Not sure he should be an early pick :thumbsdown:

I think we need to, to ensure we have enough points and list space for Henry or Butters etc

Also we don't want to waste pick 69

Only the top 70 or so picks are worth points.

If we delist someone other than North it’ll be someone contracted until end of next year the club sees as possibly not having a future at the club post next season not Giro who’s contracted for 2021 as well.

Won’t happen though. Henry will be covered by Picks 22 and 58, Butters won’t need matching. If it was to happen Schultz, Bewley and Banfield are the main candidates, along it could be the kick up the ass McCarthy probably needs.

If we delist someone other than North it’ll be someone contracted until end of next year the club sees as possibly not having a future at the club post next season not Giro who’s contracted for 2021 as well.

Won’t happen though. Henry will be covered by Picks 22 and 58, Butters won’t need matching. If it was to happen Schultz, Bewley and Banfield are the main candidates, along it could be the kick up the ass McCarthy probably needs.
I’d be happy to delist Colyer

Re Henry - I wouldn't read too much into what Jay Clark wrote. Clubs aren't going to talk about their draft strategy to journalists within an hour of trade week finishing. It's sensationalism and speculation at best.

It would be very bold from Carlton or Melbourne to bid Henry with pick 8 or 9. Henry looked like a 10-15 pick before he hurt his knee and missed the end of the year and testing. I think they would only bid if they saw it as a strategy to try and waste an early pick from us. It would be very very bold and we may be no guarantee to match it.

If we take a look at needs for clubs with picks in this range:

1. GCS - Rowell
2. GCS - Anderson
3. GWS - Green (matches MEL bid)
4. MEL - Serong
5. ADE - Stephens
6. SYD - Young/Ash (they need defenders)
7. FRE - Robertson
8. MEL - Weightman
9. CAR - Flanders/Kemp
10. FRE - Sharpe/Jackson

I’m not too worried and IMO a top 10 bid would be reach for Henry
GWS will trade up from 6 to 3.
1. GCS - Rowell
2. GCS - Anderson
3. GWS -
4. ADE -
5. GWS - Green (match bid from SYD)
6. SYD -
7. MEL -
8. FRE -
9. MEL -
10. CAR -
11. FRE -

If a bid comes in the top 7 (ie Syd or Mel) then it would use our existing pick 7 (pushed back to 8) and have nothing to do with the traded in 10 (pushed back to 11).

The main ones we need to worry about are:
Melbourne’s pick 8 (pushed back to 9)
Carlton’s pick 9 (pushed back to 10)

If there is genuine concern I would try the following trade, which perhaps (being a conspiracist) Melb had in their mind all along:

10, 2020 2nd (Mel) > 8, 2020 3rd (Mel), 2020 4th (Fre)

Carlton then bid on Henry at 9 (pushed back to 10). We would then have picks 8, 9, 10 (Henry) and be thankful we grabbed those picks in the late 50’s and 60’s.

Would be a massive reach for Henry to be bid in the top 7. But some chance around 9/10 after the Green bid.

The media will start the panic game to try and call our bluff.

pick 69 is worth 49 points but with picks likely to be combined on other players academy it will jump draft night and be around 100 points

Guess we will see but I feel its unlikely that we waste it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back