Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

This years draft is the one to invest in, we don't want to wait for 2020 and then 2021, 2022 or we become Gold Coast. This year the U18 talent in WA is good so we need to strike while the iron is hot.

I disagree. You don’t bring in a premiership team in a year. We are well off the top sides in talent and system. We need at least two really good drafts.

We’ve managed to secure a really promising spine albeit a little injury prone. I’m hoping they grow out of the injuries. Similarly the ruck stocks are very good. The engine room and flankers need some polish. Luckily these sorts come to fruition really quickly.

It’s time to start adding to the engine room and get some flankers. The last piece of the puzzle is small forwards.

I think we’ve got two gun inside mids in Cerra and Brayshaw who’ll start to make real influences by next year.

For some reason we’ve thought we were ahead of the curve. Added small forwards too soon and with late picks.

It’s the time to add flankers / wingers and maybe one inside bull.

last but not least small forwards / mid forwards next year . Or starting late this draft. Butters fits the bill.

Then we done.

I disagree. You don’t bring in a premiership team in a year. We are well off the top sides in talent and system. We need at least two really good drafts.

I agree - It's a big risk trading out our 2020 first-rounder. A 'weak' draft seems to be used often but on reflection, there are still gems available and once trade week rolls around next year rolls - draft picks will again be valuable. Also, it doesn't matter if it's comprised - clubs still need enough currency to use picks to pick up who they want.

We've selected well over the last few years and have a good hand at this year's draft already. Let's keep building each year

I think we should just de delist north and move giro to rookie list. Maybe even crowden or Shultz to rookie list also just to allow the extra spots.

I think we really want to be taking 4 picks minimum in this draft, as so many wa players and have a good chance to trade back into the second round.
Giro and Crowden are contracted until 2021.

Schultz and Banfield are contracted until 2020. I’d move Schultz to rookie

North I’m sorry I would delist. Just not quick enough and not versatile enough.

pick up Connor Menadue as DFA, Ben Sokol with our last pick in ND and then the three early ND picks.

So four picks in the ND
One live pick + Lachie Schultz in the rookie draft
1-2 Category B rookies (Butters and possibly Thomas)
My read on Jason Carter is that he is only contracted for 2020 so he has been moved from Cat B to Cat A rookie along with O’Reilly and Toby Watson.

Are we in the mix to get Menadue as a DFA? I haven't bothered listening to the media fools but wondered if there had been any mention about him.

What about Nic Robertson who we were leading the exceptionally fast paced race for?

Also looks like we'll be having a PSD with some genuine interest. The agent for Martin said he won't be nominating for ND and instead will nominate for PSD. On a separate matter Dover said Jesse Hogan had a favourable medical report post surgery.

I can’t see how we’ll land these guys in the PSD. We’ve got a ND coming up, besides North I think everyone is contracted.

[
Re Henry - I wouldn't read too much into what Jay Clark wrote. Clubs aren't going to talk about their draft strategy to journalists within an hour of trade week finishing. It's sensationalism and speculation at best.

It would be very bold from Carlton or Melbourne to bid Henry with pick 8 or 9. Henry looked like a 10-15 pick before he hurt his knee and missed the end of the year and testing. I think they would only bid if they saw it as a strategy to try and waste an early pick from us. It would be very very bold and we may be no guarantee to match it.
Melbourne has only picks 3,8.
They don't need to play strategy. Hopefully some good will regrading the Langdon trade

Blues have picks 9,43,57. No point in bidding, unless they think we won't match the bid.
Hawthorn has pick

The melts over the Aish trade are ridiculous. Yeah it sucks coughing up that future 2nd but as others have pointed out, points wise, we got him on the cheap. Let's all chill, let JLo get to work and assess the value of this trade after we've seen what Aish can do. If he can stay fit and string together a solid 22 games we may come to view this trade in a rather optimistic light. We certainly can't judge it now.

Fact of the matter is, there's still a multitude of swaps we can make to get back into the early parts of the draft. That being said, if we can't trade back in, taking 3 elite kids is hardly a loss
JLO know "Exactly" what Aish can do and knows "Exactly" where he will fill a need in the game plan that NOBODY on here knows yet!!

All the whinging is starting to pee me off

Who did we want ? Obviously Kelly but he didn't want to come. Who else were we supposed to get ????

FREO BIG FOOTY LIFE

SCENARIO 1

No trades done, lose 2 players, gain no new ones and go to the draft = Massive melts, how would they not get any players....burn bell at the stake

SCENARIO 2

Lose 2 players, but gain 2 experienced players that our new coach think fit in well with his plans. 2 picks in the top 10 to also get 2 guns in the draft = Massive Melts ...... those 2 players are not good enough and we should have got e first round picks instead of 2.....burn bell at the stake

Sigh

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree - It's a big risk trading out our 2020 first-rounder. A 'weak' draft seems to be used often but on reflection, there are still gems available and once trade week rolls around next year rolls - draft picks will again be valuable. Also, it doesn't matter if it's comprised - clubs still need enough currency to use picks to pick up who they want.

We've selected well over the last few years and have a good hand at this year's draft already. Let's keep building each year

I’d debate whether we selected well in 2018. Sturt and Valente could be busts, I’m hoping they emerge from their injuries this year coming.

Other clubs have found extraordinary players from that draft.

We did well in 2016 and 2017. We need to hit 2019 and 2020 as hard as possible then sit back and reap the rewards.

Hopefully a decent free agent comes in the horizon.

Say we have picks #7, #10, #22, #56, #79... We pick a player @ #7, then another @ #10. Then someone bids on Henry at #12. We use pick #22 to match the bid plus #56 to make up the points. So our next available pick is #79. We have an opportunity to package up future picks (and any remaining picks we have this draft) and live trade for another pick. So we might trade for GC's #15 - and then we get another player at that pick. If we had got that pick before the bid had happened then it'd have been used to match the bid (the next pick gets used and so on)
Thanks - that’s pretty much the parts that I understand.

What I didn’t get is when people say ‘oh well just trade back into the first round’. But I think you’ve explained the last part, except for why would GC (for example) want to exchange picks on the night? Seems easier to get all the pick swaps done before draft night, without all the panic in doing it live. Maybe I’m oversimplifying things. 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

discombobulated
adjective
HUMOROUS
  1. confused and disconcerted.
    "he is looking a little pained and discombobulated"

Just looking for a friend! 🤪
You can tell your friend I was using big words to sound clever, after I’d asked a seemingly simple question to which I didn’t know the answer. Discombobulating all round. 😆

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I didn’t get is when people say ‘oh well just trade back into the first round’. But I think you’ve explained the last part, except for why would GC (for example) want to exchange picks on the night? Seems easier to get all the pick swaps done before draft night, without all the panic in doing it live. Maybe I’m oversimplifying things. 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️
Most of the live trades would normally be well discussed by the two (or more) parties before the night. We'd even be talking to other clubs about trading our late picks for future picks in case we didn't use them (ie not spent as points and no list spots left/not taking any more players).

The main problem we'll have to work around this draft is available list spots. Walls and co are going to have to be quite creative to get the best outcome.

So far I count three delistings/retirements from Gold Coast's primary list, with the addition of Ellis, Greenwood, Zac Smith (there will be another removal of Martin)

That means they have one pick in the draft and picks #1, #2, #15 and #20.

Assuming they delist three more players to use just those picks, they might be willing to spread some of that value into next season to preserve the points. If they only delist one more player after Martin (by my count) they will only have #1 and #2 in the draft with #15, #20, #78 and #90 disappearing before the draft and everyone else moving up - there is value in not letting those picks go by moving them into next season.

So far I count three delistings/retirements from Gold Coast's primary list, with the addition of Ellis, Greenwood, Zac Smith (there will be another removal of Martin)

That means they have one pick in the draft and picks #1, #2, #15 and #20.

Assuming they delist three more players to use just those picks, they might be willing to spread some of that value into next season to preserve the points. If they only delist one more player after Martin (by my count) they will only have #1 and #2 in the draft with #15, #20, #78 and #90 disappearing before the draft and everyone else moving up - there is value in not letting those picks go by moving them into next season.
I thought the AFL had a rule that clubs must take a minimum 3 picks in the draft?

Out: Hill, Langdon, 26, 2020 3rd, 2020 4th
In: Acres, Aish, 10, 22, 58, 69, 79 Melbourne 2020 2nd, Collingwood 2020 3rd

+ve
- for a side that lacked depth in 2019 we desperately needed some experience to replace Hill & Langdon and we got that in 2 young players with some potential. I see upside in both the players we picked up and they “could” both play 100+ games for us as they are still young.
- points for Henry in both Hill/Lang trades.
- improved our draft positions both this year and next and we really needed to improve our draft position this year. We now have the ability to trade up the draft board a bit or trade into next year.

-ve
- at this stage the loss of Hill/Lang >> the pick up of Aish/Acres.
- we now have a list management issue in that we have more picks than spots on our list.
- there’s an anxious wait until picks 8&9 are out of the way in November and not Henry bids.

Overall I’m happy but really can’t be sure we won anything for a while yet. We definitely needed to get some best 22 players and I think we did that and I’d say we were fairly compensated for the players we lost. We really need Henry to last past 10.

My understanding of next years draft is that the quality is not clearly understood and most teams will be taking 1 or 2 academy or fs players. So when you add the helping hand that the afl give for compensation. Round 1 won’t end at pick 20ish like this year but is probably going to push out to 26 or 27.
There might be a lot of shenanigans around who picks who’s academy player.
IMHO we should seriously consider trading next years 1st for a later 1st this year and another second next year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I thought the AFL had a rule that clubs must take a minimum 3 picks in the draft?
Upgraded rookies count as a pick in the draft even though they aren't recorded on the day anymore.

Every club has to make three list changes, that is three delistings, but you don't need to draft three players. I don't know what the minimum number of picks you can take into the draft is.

Thought we did ok, really. The future belongs to those who plan for it, and I think Bell is doing that.
Aish will slot in nicely in the back 6, he's a good player, picked at 7 so he's got the talent.
Free's up someone else to move midfield, maybe Logue.
Additionally, we have picks that if done right can set us up.
I'm bloody glad we didn't sell the farm for Kelly now!!

Thought we did ok, really. The future belongs to those who plan for it, and I think Bell is doing that.
Aish will slot in nicely in the back 6, he's a good player, picked at 7 so he's got the talent.
Free's up someone else to move midfield, maybe Logue.
Additionally, we have picks that if done right can set us up.
I'm bloody glad we didn't sell the farm for Kelly now!!

How about one of the midfielders playing back there??? Just a thought but perhaps Blakely and Cerra should be considered way ahead of a KPD who is untested in the midfield

How about one of the midfielders playing back there??? Just a thought but perhaps Blakely and Cerra should be considered way ahead of a KPD who is untested in the midfield

Yeah I'm hoping we actuallu use the players where it best suits.

Acres is a midfielder, Blakely, Cerra and Brayshaw all mids...

we need a mix in there but hopefully we can use Mundy at HF a bit more/rotate with Fyfe and we may see Walters up there a bit more too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back