Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

All the ideas of relying on Logue, Tabs and Pearce as backup ruckman are gross. As is the idea of Brayshaw or Crowden on a wing.

They should all play in their natural positions and we shouldn’t keep trying to fit square pegs in round holes. We’ve already tried that and it hasn’t worked.

All the ideas of relying on Logue, Tabs and Pearce as backup ruckman are gross. As is the idea of Brayshaw or Crowden on a wing.

They should all play in their natural positions and we shouldn’t keep trying to fit square pegs in round holes. We’ve already tried that and it hasn’t worked.
You think some coaches think they are smart by thinking outside the square, instead of doing the no brainer.

I’m liking the idea of going hard to trade into getting 3 picks before Henry Bid..
Realistically what is the best pick we could get by trading:
- A) our future 1st and a future 2nd?
- B) our two future 2nds?

I would have thought that no one in the 2nd teir of the draft will give them up but would make swap into teir 3 only if they got 2 picks from that group. IMO i think 22 sits near the end of the 3rd teir. This may give us a opportunity to get 13-18 using 22 and a future 2nd or to get 9 for a similar deal as Dees got. Future 1st, 22, etc seems excessive so i would prefer we just use 22 and future 2nd to move up as much as possible if henry gets a bid before our 2nd pick.y⁶g

Giro is our best runner now that Hill is gone, correct? I think he’s shown glimpses of having the ability to be a similar player to Hill, but then the knee happened.

Hopefully he is the same athlete post-knee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've been thinking the same thing. He's quick and has a tank. Give Giro a go on a wing and see what we've got.

Realistically what is the best pick we could get by trading:
- A) our future 1st and a future 2nd?
- B) our two future 2nds?

I would have thought that no one in the 2nd teir of the draft will give them up but would make swap into teir 3 only if they got 2 picks from that group. IMO i think 22 sits near the end of the 3rd teir. This may give us a opportunity to get 13-18 using 22 and a future 2nd or to get 9 for a similar deal as Dees got. Future 1st, 22, etc seems excessive so i would prefer we just use 22 and future 2nd to move up as much as possible if henry gets a bid before our 2nd pick.y⁶g
Assuming no Henry bid by 17

Richmond our pick 22 and future 2nd
Freo 17 and 38/39

I have no idea what the points look like but assume in Richmonds favour

Assuming no Henry bid by 17

Richmond our pick 22 and future 2nd
Freo 17 and 38/39

I have no idea what the points look like but assume in Richmonds favour

Hi guys just reading through your thread and excuse me for commenting if not suitable

Not sure if the above trade would even be considered and looks totally unbalanced as next year has probably 10 academy picks prior to freo's 2nd pick which would probably end up around the #35 range

Where do you guys see the bid for Henry to come ? some on the drafts board are predicting 13-18 range , If this is the case would there be interest in trading pick #22 (845 points) for Richmonds picks #39+#41+#56 (1052 points)

If a bid comes in before pick #17 then the current Freo picks would fall short

Hi guys just reading through your thread and excuse me for commenting if not suitable

Not sure if the above trade would even be considered and looks totally unbalanced as next year has probably 10 academy picks prior to freo's 2nd pick which would probably end up around the #35 range

Where do you guys see the bid for Henry to come ? some on the drafts board are predicting 13-18 range , If this is the case would there be interest in trading pick #22 (845 points) for Richmonds picks #39+#41+#56 (1052 points)

If a bid comes in before pick #17 then the current Freo picks would fall short

Yep I have zero idea about points! ( just to be clear don’t judge the whole freo board on my laziness there are many who are across points)

Can I ask what benefit is there to Freo in this scenario why give pick 22 to the premier ? If there’s 10 academy next year, why not just swap your 1st rnd next year for our 22?

What’s with all cox bashing on this page. He’s a 21 year old key forward how he’s been great when he’s plays. You don’t kick 4 goals in a game without any talent. Hes not just going to come in & dominate. Takes time hopefully with a big pre season he is pushing Tabnerner & McCarthy for a spot

What’s with all cox bashing on this page. He’s a 21 year old key forward how he’s been great when he’s plays. You don’t kick 4 goals in a game without any talent. Hes not just going to come in & dominate. Takes time hopefully with a big pre season he is pushing Tabnerner & McCarthy for a spot
My nana could push dardy for a spot

He's lazy. As with Dardy. Age and development doesn't stop a player putting in effort, and he half arses it. Which is a pity as he has talent as you say

He's lazy. As with Dardy. Age and development doesn't stop a player putting in effort, and he half arses it. Which is a pity as he has talent as you say
I don’t think he is lazy. I think he just looks that way. He reminds me of how David Mundy moved when he started as a half back flanker or how mark waugh batted. I think he has natural ball reading ability and seems to expecting the ball to go to a particular place of for things to happen. If he had tabs tank he would get to the ball more often and this would obviously improve his game. But he has 6 years on cox.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m wondering if we lob 10 and 22 in front of Geelong for 14 and 17.

Then perhaps use one of our extra seconds next year for a second this year....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rather just keep 10 ahead of where he is ranked anyway and if a bid comes before use 10 on him and trade in another pick later.

Pretty good chance he doesn't get bid on by 10 but at 14 is a high chance. I would take the chance of getting 2 picks at 7 and 10 and henry personally.

Rather just keep 10 ahead of where he is ranked anyway and if a bid comes before use 10 on him and trade in another pick later.

Pretty good chance he doesn't get bid on by 10 but at 14 is a high chance. I would take the chance of getting 2 picks at 7 and 10 and henry personally.

Yes personally I would be looking to upgrade pick 10 out of the alleged Henry zone.

Although if you go through the draft and accept that GCS will take take Rowell\Anderson as pigeon pairs, throw in Greene to GWS. Is Henry in the top 5 picks of whats left? I hope not.

I don’t think he is lazy. I think he just looks that way. He reminds me of how David Mundy moved when he started as a half back flanker or how mark waugh batted. I think he has natural ball reading ability and seems to expecting the ball to go to a particular place of for things to happen. If he had tabs tank he would get to the ball more often and this would obviously improve his game. But he has 6 years on cox.
I feel a bit the same, he can become an important link up player.

Keep 10, there are only two clubs that can bid on Henry, Melbourne got a good deal on Langdon and I’m sure we can work something out with Carlton. Both clubs will have other options around the mark, it’s not like Henry is the obvious choice at those picks and they know we’ll match.

The prospect of having essentially picks 7,10 and 12, with ability to trade back in is greater than the gain made by playing it safe and having 7,12 and 17, or wasting our ability to trade back in after losing a future pick to get 10 up to 8 or 9.

If we are really worried, move 10 to 11 with a pick park with Hawthorn like it was mooted for GWS

Last edited:
Keep 10, there are only two clubs that can bid on Henry, Melbourne got a good deal on Langdon and I’m sure we can work something out with Carlton. Both clubs will have other options around the mark, it’s not like Henry is the obvious choice at those picks and they know we’ll match.

The prospect of having essentially picks 7,10 and 12, with ability to trade back in is greater than the gain made by playing it safe and having 7,12 and 17, or wasting our ability to trade back in after losing a future pick to get 10 up to 8 or 9.

If we are really worried, move 10 to 11 with a pick park with Hawthorn like it was muted for GWS

Have AFL changed the rules to prevent pick parking? Or was that just an idea? I remember reading an article on the drafting hub

Sent from my toothbrush using BigFooty.com

What the fu** is a pick park.
The Taylor Blacks have an academy player rated top ten, they trade their pick #12 to the Mighty Mice for their future first. Now the Blacks have pick #26 to spend on the academy bid at #5.

The mighty mice then trade the original #12 pick in exchange for the Blacks future first.

Esentially hiding the pick next year until the bid is done, then bringing it back to use this year.

For the cost of swapping future firsts with another club we hide our first round pick from bid matching.

So from my understanding you now can’t trade the same pick back, what I’m not sure about is if that counts for the future picks or just this year’s pick.

So Hawthorn have pick 11, we have 10.

We trade Hawthorn 10 for their future 1st so they have 10 and 11. Hawthorn
make a selection at 10 then they live trade us 11 back for their future 1st.

We move down one spot but we keep 10 safe from a Henry bid.

Unfortunately the AFL is completely s**t in that they don’t release the rules around live trading so admitantly, I don’t know if this is legal but it’s something clubs should be looking into

Yep I have zero idea about points! ( just to be clear don’t judge the whole freo board on my laziness there are many who are across points)

Can I ask what benefit is there to Freo in this scenario why give pick 22 to the premier ? If there’s 10 academy next year, why not just swap your 1st rnd next year for our 22?
Well the benefit for fremantle is that if there is a bid between 10-17 freo currently dont have enough points to cover the bid with picks #22 & #69 and would need to go into deficit if they dont get enough points via a draft but with the trade i mentioned freo are covered for points

So from my understanding you now can’t trade the same pick back, what I’m not sure about is if that counts for the future picks or just this year’s pick.

So Hawthorn have pick 11, we have 10.

We trade Hawthorn 10 for their future 1st so they have 10 and 11. Hawthorn
make a selection at 10 then they live trade us 11 back for their future 1st.

We move down one spot but we keep 10 safe from a Henry bid.

Unfortunately the AFL is completely s**t in that they don’t release the rules around live trading so admitantly, I don’t know if this is legal but it’s something clubs should be looking into
Pick Parking could have another problem with the hawks also

Just for argument sake lets have a look at this scenario (not that it would happen but just for the point of this example)

fremantle , Losing 2 good runner in Langdon/Hill and a new coach wanting to change his game plan could possibly finish bottom 4 with some bad luck with injuries added.

Hawks get Patton plus mitchell back and few of their players like Wingard etc have great years and they make finals , Once there could get to finish 4-6
then you have the problem of having swapped 2020 draft picks e.g freo pick could be pick #4 and hawks could be pick #14/#15

So assuming Melb don't trade #3 with GWS I've extended my thinking to get 4 players (inc Henry in the top 24) whilst nullifying the risk of a bid before #10 and upgrading #10 to #6. It costs the 2020 2nd (Melb) & 2020 3rd (Coll) we currently have but we hopefully gain another 2020 3rd.

PRE DRAFT
Freo -> #22, 2020 2nd (Melb) for 2020 2nd (Adl), #37, #45, #49, 2020 4th (Adl) <- Adl
Freo -> 2020 1st (Freo), #37 for #6 <- GWS

So we go into the draft with #6, #7, #10, #45, #49, #58, #69, #79, #83 (GWS has our 2020 1st)

AFTER GREEN BID (GWS would match the bid using #37, #40, #59 and get Green)
GWS -> 2020 1st (Freo) for #10 <- Freo

Pick #6 - Stephens
Pick #7 - Robertson

Henry Bid @ #10-#15 (we would match the bid using #45, #49, #58 and get Henry)

AFTER HENRY BID
Adl -> #23 for 2020 2nd (Adl), 2020 3rd (Coll) <- Freo (could deal with Syd to get #25 instead here - they need lots of points next year)

Pick #23 - Sharp

Freo -> #69, #79, #83 for 2020 3rd (Dogs/Pies/whoever)

Freo Gain: Stephens (#6), Robertson (#7), Henry (~#10-15), Sharp (#23), 2020 3rd (?)
Freo Lost: 2020 2nd (Melb), 2020 3rd (Coll)

If we have enough list spots and wanted 5 players from the ND then I'd just trade out our 2020 2nd (after the Henry bid) for ~#30 and get Taylor. There are a bunch of clubs with picks around there that need points next year for top 10ish academy players (eg Syd, Haw, Adl, Col).

Last edited:
I just don't see anyone bidding 8-9 on Henry when he would be such a flight risk to come back to WA down the line anyway. I would rather take the risk then use 10 if we have to, than do something silly like trade 10 - 22 for 14 - 17.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back