Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

If you want Menadue you can get him in the rookie draft. Mature aged players always end up where they intend to with the assurance of the club that they will get him. Don't see many clubs picking up other clubs delisted players who they intend to rookie list either.

Whether he is worth a spot on the rookie list over a teenage or other mature body option is the real debate to me.

Not to mention that if our nominated academy players aren't selected in the draft prior they go to the category B list like Carter did, we can only hold three of those and they take up a rookie spot.

We could have the intention of rookie listing Menadue but Butters is left on the table and we get him for free

If we want him can’t we just take him as a DFA in the coming weeks?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If we want him can’t we just take him as a DFA in the coming weeks?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
We could, but it would cost us pick #22 currently.

I think we have three list spots left, that means only picks #7, #10 and #22 are going to be available in the draft. If we sign a DFA then the last one falls off.

Is Menadue better than an early second round pick? No.

We could, but it would cost us pick #22 currently.

I think we have three list spots left, that means only picks #7, #10 and #22 are going to be available in the draft. If we sign a DFA then the last one falls off.

Is Menadue better than an early second round pick? No.
Why not?

It’s far more likely we delist a bunch of players; to create spots. Then re-rookie them.

I can’t imagine anyone grabbing Giro, North, Bewley, Banfield, Colyer ....

I’m not saying we should delist all 5. But no club is grabbing those guys as delisted free agents.

We don’t cut deep enough each year IMO.

What I don’t understand is why we promote anyone before the draft. Live trading makes it more likely that later picks count not less.

So walk into the draft with seven live picks see how it goes. You can promote players at any time as far as I can see so. What’s the rush.

Draft and trade first. Promote players with leftover picks between the draft and season start.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK, I've done some research: you can have 38-40 players on the Primary (Senior) List and an additional 6-4 Category A Rookies - 44 in total (plus up to 3 extra Category B rookies - total 47).

Source: https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/AFL/Files/AFL Rules effective 9 May 2019.pdf p.186

Fremantle currently have 35 Senior Players on their list (including Hughes and Carter - but not Acres and Aish) and 3 Rookies (including Giro).

Source: https://www.fremantlefc.com.au/footy-centre/team/senior-players

Last edited:
Given that we've just added Acres and Aish, and that Giro is upgraded to the Senior List next year as part of his recent contract extension, we will need to delist (or 'move' to the rookie list) at least one player in order to pick up three players - the minimum required - in the November Draft.

Last edited:
Logue
Matera
Darcy
Cerra
Conca
Fyfe
Brayshaw
Walters
Hogan
Crowden
Wilson