Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

I see reports that Steve Silvani is on the outer at Carlton. I remember speculation that he was approached by Ross to join us as list manager.

Our list manager seems inexperienced and seems Bell is doing everything. Would we consider him? Do we want him?

He’s made a lot of clangers picking up GWS’s trash but GWS & Carlton have ended up with good lists.

I think they all belong in the same discussion. None of them are walk up best 22, no matter what your opinion is.

They’re simply ahead of the rest of the pack.

Top of head:
Fyfe
Walters
Mundy
Pearce
Hamling
Ryan
Wilson
Logue
Blakely
Aish
Stephen Hill
Acres
Hogan
Taberner
Matera
Lobb
Darcy
Tucker
Brayshaw
Cerra
Conca

That’s 21 blokes top of head.

Hence why you can only bring in one of Hughes, Switkowski etc.

That list doesn’t even contain Sturt or Valente or any of our picks from this year.

So what you’re really arguing is Switkowski, Hughes and Giro are the best of our fringe players? Which I’m not disagreeing with. I’m just saying if they’re all playing? Then we’re crap.

Most of us struggle to put together a best 22 but realistically outside of the 21 you’ve listed only Hughes, Duman, McCarthy and Switkowski are in the conversation for the 22. At this stage there’s a pretty big gap after that. I think Giro would be is that group if he’d stayed fit all year but that’s more my opinion at this stage. I don’t think we’re in trouble if these guys play, in fact I reckon we won quite a few games this year with three or four of them in the side.

Sturt, Valente and our draft picks shouldn’t be considered for best 22 at this stage. If they work hard they’ll be in the conversation soon enough but that’s not how it is atm.

I see reports that Steve Silvani is on the outer at Carlton. I remember speculation that he was approached by Ross to join us as list manager.

Our list manager seems inexperienced and seems Bell is doing everything. Would we consider him? Do we want him?

He’s made a lot of clangers picking up GWS’s trash but GWS & Carlton have ended up with good lists.

Bell/Alcock should do everything to get Emma Quayle from GWS to be our list manager.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No thanks.. We would have a great list too if we had been given that many first rounders. We do need a competent one though hopefully that will happen soon.

Would

Give me a Giro any day over Banfield, Crowden types.

Giro has some sideways movement which buys him time (note, unsure how he goes now with the knee).

But agree with most in that we have too many D graders.

You're hopeful one of Crowden, Banfield, North, Giro 'make it' but the reality is they probably won't.

When you actually process our list... those under 190cm don't make for pleasant reading.

In order of age and under 190cm:
Stephen Hill - Injury riddled
Michael Walters - Gun
Travis Colyer - Meh
Brandon Matera - Had a good year... any more upside?
Nathan Wilson - Need to bring back his flare
Ethan Hughes - Can probably carry one of these types... not 4. I don't mind him, but think he'll be forced out.
Brett Bewley - Worth persisting with.
James Aish - I'll give him 4 games before I turn on him. Not confident.
Luke Ryan - Gun
Connor Blakely - Where to for this bloke?
Sam Switkowski - One of those... can only carry one of players. Henry should take his spot.
Darcy Tucker - We've been harsh on him. Only 22. That said needs to take that next step up this year.
Lachlan Schultz - Can only carry one of these types. He's about the 3rd I've mentioned.
Bailey Banfield - As above.
Tom North - Not ideal being outside the top 36 in your squad.
Stefan Giro - ACL. Who knows?
Mitchell Crowden - Has an innate ability to get caught HTB. Honest trier. Can only carry one of these types
Adam Cerra - Needs a step up and defined role.
Andrew Brayshaw - Developing nicely. Next ball magnet IMO.
Jason Carter - Developing nicely.
Luke Valente - Needs a nice year. By nice, a few games of AFL and consistent WAFL.
Sam Sturt - As above.

That doesn't really make pleasant reading.
No not great and I expect 2 delistings to come from that list. Lots of “we can only carry one of these types”.

How is the Webb school of player reporting coming along. Tried hard, good work rate, gave good effort...

FMD we really need to cut back of some of these.

The following need to step up next year or be cut:
Bewley, Banfield, Crowden, Giro, Schultz (if lucky to remain on the list).

Thought you’re a bit harsh on Swita. Had a decent year (enough to win beacon - not saying much though) and he has barely done a pre-season in his life let alone at Freo. If we can get a full PS out of Swita he might continue to surprise. Needs to add a bit of weight to his frame - got pushed aside too easily. One game against Pies sticks in my memory- tried to body up against Maynard and ended up on the ground and Maynard took an uncontested mark.

Steve Silvagni traded picks for Palmer.

Twice.

Edit: My bad it was the AFL that gave us end of 1st round compo for him. So maybe we should send him a box of choccies or something.

Last edited:
I totally agree with Serong and Flanders.

Unless you keep pick 3, we will match the bid on Henry.

Not sure how bidding on Henry will help you,unless you have picks 6 and 8?

Go home factor would be huge as Henry have bonded with Walters and co.

Better for you guys to keep pick 3 and get Young.

We won't trading 22 for later picks until we have pick 10 and if Henry hasn't got a bid.

I actually think that whilst he likes Freo, Henry is professional enough to go anywhere and not be a significant flight risk. Remember he is coming from a long way away in the country to play football anyway. Also I get the impression he would have a positive impact and interaction on his teammates wherever he is.

I do not want.

Rather, get a football manager and then move Bell into the list Manager role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi guys... A question........ Can a team make live trading while their player is bidded on? For example carlton bids henry at 9 and before matching can we trade with geelong and then match? Or trade has to done before someone bid?

Hi guys... A question........ Can a team make live trading while their player is bidded on? For example carlton bids henry at 9 and before matching can we trade with geelong and then match? Or trade has to done before someone bid?
Nope

I'm 99% sure you can only live trade if its your turn to pick and the bid also counts as a pick being made.

Carlton would need to ring us, tell us they are bidding on Henry, then we organise a trade with them. Even that might be draft tampering and illegal

Bell/Alcock should do everything to get Emma Quayle from GWS to be our list manager.

Freo don't have quite the currency that GWS have had. Not every team can stockpile all the decent talls with all the free first round picks they were gifted.

GWS have played their hands well, but that isn't hard when the AFL starts you off with an extra 2 aces for every hand.

Pretty sure that the best strategy for us is not to trade lower in the draft but to agree to trade for a pick in the early to mid teens.

Currently no matter how things go we are guaranteed three draft picks before 22. No matter where Henry goes the next pick exhausts with him. If he goes before 10 then he costs us either 7 or 10 not both. If after he costs us 22 and change.

Best for us it to agree to trade into the teens with next years picks as part of live trading. If Henry goes before the live trade he costs us as above. If after we make the trade get the additional player and still pay 22.

Arguably we may not get three “top tens” if Henry goes early. But then this year is supposed to be reasonably even after the first 3. So talent will slide to any pick in the first round. There is always a couple of “I can’t believe x slid so far” comments. This year will be no exception and no matter where Henry goes this board will be filled with “I can’t believe we did not take x. He was there at our pick”.

In short we should not consider any trades designed to “secure Henry” only those resulting in 3 round one picks and 22

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Freo don't have quite the currency that GWS have had. Not every team can stockpile all the decent talls with all the free first round picks they were gifted.

GWS have played their hands well, but that isn't hard when the AFL starts you off with an extra 2 aces for every hand.
Emma Quayle only came onto the GWS staff in the past few years, so she wasn't there at the time they had the multiple high-end draft pick concessions. She does have a long history of talent spotting for the draft though, that'd be where her apparent obvious strength is. She hasn't been in clubland that long though so she probably still focussed on learning the ropes at GWS and might not consider looking elsewhere.

My take would be it'd be great to have someone who knows the WA talent pool really well (gotten from an active role at a club, WAFL or Freo) as a list manager, but who is also really open to a national view with a high club investment in a national network of talent spotters.

Pretty sure that the best strategy for us is not to trade lower in the draft but to agree to trade for a pick in the early to mid teens.

Currently no matter how things go we are guaranteed three draft picks before 22. No matter where Henry goes the next pick exhausts with him. If he goes before 10 then he costs us either 7 or 10 not both. If after he costs us 22 and change.

Best for us it to agree to trade into the teens with next years picks as part of live trading. If Henry goes before the live trade he costs us as above. If after we make the trade get the additional player and still pay 22.

Arguably we may not get three “top tens” if Henry goes early. But then this year is supposed to be reasonably even after the first 3. So talent will slide to any pick in the first round. There is always a couple of “I can’t believe x slid so far” comments. This year will be no exception and no matter where Henry goes this board will be filled with “I can’t believe we did not take x. He was there at our pick”.

In short we should not consider any trades designed to “secure Henry” only those resulting in 3 round one picks and 22

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yes I see it the same. And some of the guys who will be available around 22 (Cooper Stevens, Day, Taylor) look terrific.

Emma isn’t their list manager. She use to be a journalist at the Age. She actually watches the kids play while profiling them, writing articles and books.

She recently was hired by GWS to be a recruiter. She knows how the system works with points and loopholes to work the system.

She knows people, she knows how to identify talent, she’s a people person who builds relationships with parents/players/managers. She can actually talk to the media.

She is more if not over qualified to be list manager (compared to the guy we have)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back