Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

It's one contingency that they hadn't thought of it seems. Or we just didn't want him. Someone should have bid on Green, if he was truly as good as some have suggested.

As is typical for Freo. Henry's value couldn't have been in a worse place for us and we had to jerk everything around, to first get him, and also get a bit of a discount. We got three top ten talents, but it was expensive.
Western, next year should fall in a sweet spot.

There should be some opportunities over the next few seasons to trade for some of the WA players than may want to come back to Perth, if they are doing well. Regarding the live trades, I accept that we were shafted by port due to circumstances we were in, but surely the trade should have been lined up well before then? The question is - did we get a s**t deal for that 2020 second because we were caught on the hop and didn’t expect the bid? I reckon we were and we had to scramble for whoever would trade with us than at that stage.
We have been talking to clubs since the end of trade period.

What appears fair and what can be done are two very different things. Most clubs got extorted in some way if they needed another clubs help. We will be doing the same thing when our time comes.
You bank top ten picks when you can, and having an established relationship with GWS will help when Hill wants to
come home.
Honestly It worked for WC once with Oscar Allen and Liam Ryan, still missed Kelly😀
But all clubs had the chance with those two previously, that's another story.
WC 2018 picks of O Niell, Foley, Williams in the second rounds doesn't exactly spell success?
This was the year to have second round picks though, even still 3 top ten picks is first place.
Better to reflect on how many WA boys got drafted, and who will want to return?

You bank top ten picks when you can, and having an established relationship with GWS will help when Hill wants to
come home.
Honestly It worked for WC once with Oscar Allen and Liam Ryan, still missed Kelly😀
But all clubs had the chance with those two previously, that's another story.
WC 2018 picks of O Niell, Foley, Williams in the second rounds doesn't exactly spell success?
This was the year to have second round picks though, even still 3 top ten picks is first place.
Better to reflect on how many WA boys got drafted, and who will want to return?
Worked with wee Willie as well, at least for a year but that's all they needed to get a Premiership. 3 out 4 ain't bad.

Seriously, have you seen Williams play?? He was a steal and future star Fwd/Ruck or other way around.

Happy to see so many WA boys drafted and not sure of the go home factor compared to Vic Metro boys. Someone might have stats?

I think it is very hard to critique the trading without knowing all the options available. We are just speculating on what clubs may have accepted. What we saw was clubs pay a massive premium to move up the draft.

With the port trade, im sure all clubs were canvassed in advance what they would trade for 2020 2nd. Clearly port was the best offer.

We could have downgraded pick 8 or 10. I’d still much prefer a top ten pick.

Worked with wee Willie as well, at least for a year but that's all they needed to get a Premiership. 3 out 4 ain't bad.

Seriously, have you seen Williams play?? He was a steal and future star Fwd/Ruck or other way around.

Happy to see so many WA boys drafted and not sure of the go home factor compared to Vic Metro boys. Someone might have stats?

That's the thing though we ensured we got Henry, as best as possible, instead of maybe. Imagine if WC had done
better ensuring Kelly?
They would of absolutely smashed it this year on and of the field.
Henry"s such a good character another Coniglio?

Henry looks very slight to me just yet. I hope we don’t do a Melbourne circa 2009 and just dump him in, jack watts style. He may not play any AFL football next season to be honest. Serong and Young are bigger bodies and probably more ready for 2020.
Excited to see Sturt and Valente in action this year though. Still a bit concerned about Valentes injury issues though, someone said the other day that he was having to re-learn a new running style due to his groin problems..

Henry looks very slight to me just yet. I hope we don’t do a Melbourne circa 2009 and just dump him in, jack watts style. He may not play any AFL football next season to be honest. Serong and Young are bigger bodies and probably more ready for 2020.
Excited to see Sturt and Valente in action this year though. Still a bit concerned about Valentes injury issues though, someone said the other day that he was having to re-learn a new running style due to his groin problems..
Ole mate on the radio station reckons Wilson’s surgery involves a 10-12 week recovery. He is about 2 weeks or so in. Young a good replacement for Wilson if he is still working his way back into the season.

Ole mate cracked me up though he said he can’t believe the AFL allowed us to match the bid on Henry with a deficit of about 700. It’s only -265 and GWS is around -256.

Otherwise Serong is very likely - Bell already talking him up to start half forward with stints in the midfield. I’m expecting we’ll see some forward time for our 2018 top draftee Sturt as you say.

Henry maybe in the back end. I’d be happy if Valente gets a good solid block at WAFL and puts himself in the frame for selection in the second half of the year.

How heavy was Liam Ryan when WC drafted him? And what was he when he made his debut?

I personally don’t think Henry’s size is an issue, he has other attributes that will help him get around it.
Henry will be exciting to watch at Peel.

A forward line potentially involving (at times) Cam McCarthy, Sturt and Henry.

Tobe Watson? Is around 190/191cm but still needs to add some size to his frame but developing reasonably well at Peel. Was forced to carry the defence at times last year and played FB quite a bit.

Watson seems like a pretty reasonable prospect from what i've seen (ie. not much). Seems to be a decent size and kick.

I agree.

I was disappointed that we didn’t leave a rookie spot to be filled by a mature ruck or key back if we got an injury.

It is probably our weakest area. Can't fill every hole though.

I think Logue can fool people a bit in that he's played a bit more for us as a flanker/CHB. But he's 193cm and 101kg. Not to mention only 21 years old and is top-5 in the time trial. I'd back him to be a gun KPD/hybrid thing in a year or two. Cox only 21 too. Personally i'd rather those guys get a few games if we have a Pearce/Hamling injury rather than a mature KPD.

Ruck wise we're at Lobb/Darcy/Meek. Really need to maybe see Meek in an AFL game this year as well. 3 rucks is maybe 1 short (5 was absolutely too many) but there is the mid-season draft which would allow us to grab a mature backup as an emergency if required. Assume we might take one as a rookie next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thrilled with the talent we have picked up. But some of the pick trading we have done has been woeful. This has really limited our hand next season. I’m not sure who is responsible for these trading decisions but some of them absolutely stank the place out. Port picked up our second rounder in 2020 (projects as a early 20’s pick to other teams given we are ranked as one of the bottom teams in the league by most other clubs). Whether we do end up near the foot of the ladder or not next season, the fact that most other sides see us as a bottom 4 or 5 side in 2020 should have meant out picks in 2020 had more value than say Richmond or GWS. Instead we got picks 52 and 55 for potentially pick 20-24. What a rubbish trade that was.
Not bidding on Tom Green was another error costing us valuable points in 2020. Got to be ruthless at this level - GWS were always going to match no matter where the bid came. Now we have an even bigger deficit than they do in 2020!!
The Adelaide/Melbourne trade was also pretty imbalanced given what we coughed up to move from 10 to 8, but it wasn’t as bad as the port Adelaide live trade after the Henry bid. We are always told you lost points to trade up but you gain points to trade down. We lost points in both scenarios!
What was clear during the draft was the massive imbalance in trades between some clubs. The likes of Geelong, the crows and port simply cleaned up for next years draft - (port also got a 2020 second rounder to move back from 22 to 23 - what a steal!).
As for the suns - well what a joke, don’t get me started. High Draft picks are like loose change to those guys!
None of these imbalanced trades would ever occur outside of live trading.
A proper experienced list manager at live trading has the potential to make major inroads for any club that is switched on enough. You’d expect those imbalanced trades to be less frequent in a couple of years as clubs cop on to the fact that there is major opportunity here.

The problem with analyzing trading is it's reciprocal. We can have the best negotiators in the world but at the end of the day we probably knew or had some idea Carlton were going to bid on Henry and then our hands were completely tied and turning 10 to 8 was always going to be an unpleasant process. Port had no obligation to deal with us at all so we didn't have much room to move. You can only reasonably argue trading is poor when walking away and doing nothing would be the better outcome, which wasn't the case since we still ended up with 3 first round quality players.

I don't particularly like Bell but it's hard to criticize when we got the desired outcome we wanted with minimal negotiating power. Not bidding on Green is the only oversight but I guess we valued goodwill over ruthlessness which I dislike but understand.

Last edited:
Good will is gold.

Having picks 7,8,9 is pretty romantic and all the picks felt great.

Unless it’s a no brainer I wouldn’t bid, it pisses off the player you pick next.
That's all nice, but next year when we don't have a high enough pick to consider Grainger-Barrass because of our points deficit.... bummer. And I highly doubt Serong would be pissed off because we bid on Green.

Last edited:
I don't particularly like Bell but it's hard to criticize when we got the desired outcome we wanted with minimal negotiating power. Not bidding on Green is the only oversight but I guess we valued goodwill over ruthlessness which I dislike but understand.
Ruthlessness? A number of aligned players were bid on and the bid not matched in this draft. I have no issue with Carlton bidding, and we should have anticipated it. Bidding on a player is an attempt to draft them, and quite legitimate. If Melbourne bid at pick 3 they have a real chance they get Henry.

Green at any of our picks would have been a bargain, and certainly before Serong, and we should have taken a shot. At some point they will be bid on, otherwise may as well just give clubs a free hit.

Ruthlessness? A number of aligned players were bid on and the bid not matched in this draft. I have no issue with Carlton bidding, and we should have anticipated it. Bidding on a player is an attempt to draft them, and quite legitimate. If Melbourne bid at pick 3 they have a real chance they get Henry.

Green at any of our picks would have been a bargain, and certainly before Serong, and we should have taken a shot. At some point they will be bid on, otherwise may as well just give clubs a free hit.

I agree it was a poor decision and not something I would have done. I would call it misguided rather than incompetent though. Carlton had every right to bid on Henry and it's a bit childish for some on here to get upset over it.

Carlton had inside knowledge of Henry... May have had a input to there decision making process... or as implied by Twomey the were bidding to bide time whilst they got a down scale trade lined up.

I agree it was a poor decision and not something I would have done. I would call it misguided rather than incompetent though. Carlton had every right to bid on Henry and it's a bit childish for some on here to get upset over it.
The reality is though the GWS academy kid is Not what we were after, exactly the same with Robertson.
JLo wanted skilled, dual players, and yes Carlton wanted Henry.
Imagine GWS not matching and then taking our targeted players.
I reckon Port maybe a little pi**ed that we stole the Monaro.

That's all nice, but next year when we don't have a high enough pick to consider Grainger-Barrass because of our points deficit.... bummer. And I highly doubt Serong would be pissed off because we bid on Green.
How high are you expecting us to finish next year? I think we need to be realistic in our expectations for next year, it's quite likely that we go into next year's draft with a high pick that will only slide a little after adjusting for the deficit.

I know Grainger-Barrass is likely to go top 10 but we'd have to turn things around pretty drastically to not have a pick in the draft around about his range.

Heck I'll take the deficit and a QUALITY player with a year's development any day of the week. Let's move on

Remove this Banner Ad

Back