Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the difficulties that we will face in the wake of this pandemic is retaining these early draft picks. 4 top 10 picks in the last 3 of years from interstate. By the end of 2021 all will be out of contract. If our financial position is not improved we might lose one or more of these guys to Victorian clubs. We will need to be very clever in how we manage our finances to ensure we are not hit too badly.

Really depends on how well Logue can develop, clubs like WC, Tigers, getaway with two talls, and we have Young who i expect to
dominate his position.
Our players that can play against different opposition heights in Young, Ryan, Hughes, etc, should give us the run and carry to turn
defence into attack.
At the end of the day its the midfield that can limit opposition inside 50's, and ball retention.
The game against the Dons totally changed once we nullified their midfield dominance, and after half time we lost that game rather than being
beaten.
Intercept marking is gold.

Ryan is elite and Young will be elite but the rest are not elite marking. Maybe, Logue will get better but I just he won’t elite as an intercept marking. Pearce and Hamling are ok.

Hughes doesn’t have the smarts when to fly and when to stay on the ground/player.

Grainger-Barass will be elite in intercept marking.

Intercept marking is gold.

Ryan is elite and Young will be elite but the rest are not elite marking. Maybe, Logue will get better but I just he won’t elite as an intercept marking. Pearce and Hamling are ok.

Hughes doesn’t have the smarts when to fly and when to stay on the ground/player.

Grainger-Barass will be elite in intercept marking.
Yeah, Hughes has only just played 50 games, so I expect him to finally find his feet. But I think he can do the heavy
lifting as such and get the ball into Young, Ryan, Wilson.
Those 3 should give us the drive out the of the backline, and take the game on.
But to do that you need the hard nuts, and it's why I rate Ethan, until Young comes into his own.
Our best backline was Elvis paired with Dawson and Johnson, and I wouldn't classify Michael as a true tall
defender.
Elvis was elite, and our greatest defender, Dawson did his job, Johnson could take the game on.
A velvet glove in an iron fist is required to win, we have seen it with the Hawks, WC, Tigers.
That blueprint works, and I'm hoping we are on track with our recruiting lately.

One of the difficulties that we will face in the wake of this pandemic is retaining these early draft picks. 4 top 10 picks in the last 3 of years from interstate. By the end of 2021 all will be out of contract. If our financial position is not improved we might lose one or more of these guys to Victorian clubs. We will need to be very clever in how we manage our finances to ensure we are not hit too badly.
Yes. Having a year off in Victoria would not be helping.

What’s the story with Nathan o Driscoll? Seems to also be in the top 15-20 mix and is a local lad, would we be better with an accurate kicking key forward though?
It would be nice to draft some WA talent for the reasons described above

Rioli hasn’t done enough to be considered a first or second round pick

Richmond have a host of small forward/midfield types. With reduced list sizes, they may only want to use 2 draft picks.
DGB is a key back but for me you go best player available.

Cox hasn’t signed yet and after him we have no depth. Cox Play play forward.

DGB can be a solid back up for 4 years and then replace Hamling. Also, Pearce hasn’t shown he can play a full season.
I'm not sure Rioli has done enough to get drafted at all. Maybe rookie.

Unless we are actually writing Pearce off nobody is convincing me we need to spend top picks on KPDs.

What’s the story with Nathan o Driscoll? Seems to also be in the top 15-20 mix and is a local lad, would we be better with an accurate kicking key forward though?
It would be nice to draft some WA talent for the reasons described above

Expected to go very high in the draft, kicking is considered somewhat suspect but otherwise fast high possession game. In terms of fast athletic players, we have probably the fastest kid going around in our academy in Joel Western, who runs a very fast sub 2.90 sec 20m. Brandon Walker is also not a slouch as well, and also has a great leap to add to pretty good skills.

Logan McDonald is the local key forward prospect for this year; has kicked bags at junior levels but can be inaccurate as well. Main thing is that he is a good contested mark and has generally the right attributes to get the ball inside 50 at AFL level. The other local option is Denver Grainger-Baras; so far he has been more a CHB but let us not discount him as a forward option just yet. Again he has good contested marking skills, so that makes him an option.

Hasn't Rioli already announced going F/S with Richmond? Or is that someone else?

Agree with the sentiments on Rioli jr being overhyped -obviously attributed to his name but also nearly as much a fact that he’s going to the biggest club in the land .

Watching the highlights of him in that semi final i was underwhelmed to say the least.
Nothing screamed overly special to me not to mention 2 of his 4 goals were due to nothing but stone cold luck -in the bounce of the ball

Agree with the sentiments on Rioli jr being overhyped -obviously attributed to his name but also nearly as much a fact that he’s going to the biggest club in the land .

Watching the highlights of him in that semi final i was underwhelmed to say the least.
Nothing screamed overly special to me not to mention 2 of his 4 goals were due to nothing but stone cold luck -in the bounce of the ball
We have more of a chance with Kobe Farmer? That and we owe Melbourne one over the Hogan deal.

Expected to go very high in the draft, kicking is considered somewhat suspect but otherwise fast high possession game. In terms of fast athletic players, we have probably the fastest kid going around in our academy in Joel Western, who runs a very fast sub 2.90 sec 20m. Brandon Walker is also not a slouch as well, and also has a great leap to add to pretty good skills.

Logan McDonald is the local key forward prospect for this year; has kicked bags at junior levels but can be inaccurate as well. Main thing is that he is a good contested mark and has generally the right attributes to get the ball inside 50 at AFL level. The other local option is Denver Grainger-Baras; so far he has been more a CHB but let us not discount him as a forward option just yet. Again he has good contested marking skills, so that makes him an option.
All four players will be good. O'Driscoll's kicking a bit overstated as it is his weakest point.
McDonald really only inaccurate in one game and I have seen a lot of him. Has just hit 195.5cm I have been told.
Barass fantastic leap and reader of the play but seems to have stopped growing. Agree he has attributes to play forward.
Zane Trew is going to be an absolute jet mid who can go inside or outside. Terrific skills.

On SM-A705YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hasn't Rioli already announced going F/S with Richmond? Or is that someone else?
I don't think so in fact someone posted on the forum somewhere that he does not want to stay another year in vic and is yet to decide whether he will play under age footy in Vic or come to WA to play wafl with his cousin Ben.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All four players will be good. O'Driscoll's kicking a bit overstated as it is his weakest point.
McDonald really only inaccurate in one game and I have seen a lot of him. Has just hit 195.5cm I have been told.
Barass fantastic leap and reader of the play but seems to have stopped growing. Agree he has attributes to play forward.
Zane Trew is going to be an absolute jet mid who can go inside or outside. Terrific skills.

Is Zane Trew still growing as well? Listed as 184 cm and 80kg I believe, which are last years numbers.

As much as I hated farmers brain fades & selfishness at times. By god when he was on he was the purple Jesus
Have seen snippets of Kobe farmer, he’s bigger then his dad and is a silky smoove mover, hope he chooses freo over Melbourne he’s going to be a real gem, him and Henry will be dangerous for years to come

As much as I hated farmers brain fades & selfishness at times. By god when he was on he was the purple Jesus
Future small forward line could be top notch, have to admit those couple of years with Balla, Walters and Mayne
running amok were some of our best.
Sturt already looks like a find, and after that Hurley test he appears over the concussion? Hoping we can rotate
Our mids forward and vica versa.
A genuine stay at home small forward would be great. With Matera? Swita more defensive.

what’s his pace like ? I assume it’s decent if he can play outside ?
At that size with good skills ,decent speed and with the ability to play inside/out he is the exact type of midfielder we’ve been craving for years
Speed is fine, terrific footy brain. If he had of played last year would be top 3 easy this year.

188cm and 84kgs

Ok interesting.. we have a few around this mark... (Valente comes to mind) skills and outside speed would be a serious bonus if he has.

Let’s face it he is a bit under the radar, but on a look but not seen watch.. from eastern state point of view.

Not sure where he fits in a normal draft, but given no exposure, may slide.

Ok interesting.. we have a few around this mark... (Valente comes to mind) skills and outside speed would be a serious bonus if he has.

Let’s face it he is a bit under the radar, but on a look but not seen watch.. from eastern state point of view.

Not sure where he fits in a normal draft, but given no exposure, may slide.
He will be a bargain if he slides. He trained with Eagles as part of the National Academy in Jan and they were extremely impressed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back