Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we need to be consistently making finals before we think about top 4.
Agree, but what do we need to make the top 4.

2 players , 4 players, 6 players??

I think we have a lot of dead wood on our list.

Colyer
Jones
Meek
Sandi
Bennell
Ballas
Kersten

Plus 6 or 7 c grade players, who should only be depth like Matera, Switta, Schultz, nyhuis, duman , giro, Hughes, Dixon etc.

None of these players are good enough to be in a top 4 side best 22, and this is our biggest issue.

Colyer
Jones
Meek
Sandi
Bennell
Ballas
Kersten

Plus 6 or 7 c grade players, who should only be depth like Matera, Switta, Schultz, nyhuis, duman , giro, Hughes, Dixon etc.

None of these players are good enough to be in a top 4 side best 22, and this is our biggest issue.
I am been thinking the same.

Too many c graders and not enough A graders.

We would need to lose our reasonable players to do that, getting the extra picks late don't usually result in non average players.

Losing guys like Blakely to hopefully draft a guy like Blakely is a fool's errand
How does Blakely come into it. He is one of our top 15 players.

Drafting an extra two players a year instead bring in c grade players, or extending players contracts who will never make it.

If you said Hughes, Switta, Colyer, Matera, Ballas, Sandi, giro or Dixon you would be correct.

Colyer
Jones
Meek
Sandi
Bennell
Ballas
Kersten

No it’s not. All teams have deadwood as you put it. It’s just that we have to use them in our 22 more often due to our poor injury record.

Our head coach and our Sports Science guy are our biggest concerns.

I had a quick look at noticed we only draft 4 players in the main draft each year.

I think sometimes we would benefit from taking 5 or 6 picks in the draft, rather than keeping average players
We tend to hold onto players way to long.

Remember, Andrew Browne kept on the list for 7 years but can’t get over his injuries.

Even if he came good , he would have been b grader at best.

I agree, its better to move on players quicker than we have.

Plus, upgrading rookies way to early like Carter. Better for him to be upgraded when he plays his first game.

Also, extending Apeness contract last year was a mistake. Their was no reason to extend early.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Colyer
Jones
Meek
Sandi
Bennell
Ballas
Kersten

Honestly we’ll still be rebuilding in 2021 because of some of the guys you’ve listed above being contracted until then. It doesn’t mean we can’t make finals before that time but it’ll mean big list turnover until then. Good clubs are never happy with their list but I’ll be far more comfortable when I can’t see 3-4 likely delistees for 2021 when it’s two seasons away.

I think Jones and Meek might be at the club next year tbh. I’d rather that not be the case but I think that’s how it’ll be. I’d rather delist Jones, see what’s there late in the drafts and if there’s no one better we can keep Jones as a rookie. Having seen Jones absolutely smash the West Coast back-up rucks last week I honestly don’t think there’s a huge amount of options out there. I mean teams listed Zac Clarke and Keegan Brooksby.

I’d like to see us re-sign Blakely, Tucker and Logue ASAP tbh. I don’t think anyone else is a priority tbh as I think Langdon is gone, S.Hill has to be reasonable with his contract expectations and anyone else will get a one year contract. Even Mundy shouldn’t be safe - I’d almost rather him retire if we were to bring Kelly to the club.

I’m not sure I’d keep anyone at Peel yesterday bar Logue and our 18 year olds if they were out of contract tbh. Our depth atm really does stink.

Last edited:
We tend to hold onto players way to long.

Remember, Andrew Browne kept on the list for 7 years but can’t get over his injuries.

Even if he came good , he would have been b grader at best.

I agree, its better to move on players quicker than we have.

Plus, upgrading rookies way to early like Carter. Better for him to be upgraded when he plays his first game.

Also, extending Apeness contract last year was a mistake. Their was no reason to extend early.
I would add we also bring in c grade players far too often.

Honestly we’ll still be rebuilding in 2021 because of some of the guys you’ve listed above being contracted until then. It doesn’t mean we can’t make finals before that time. Good clubs are never happy with their list but I’ll be far more comfortable when I can’t see 3-4 likely delistees for 2021 when it’s two seasons away.
By 2021 fyfe, Walters, Hill, Hill influence will be declining.

If we don't push for a flag in 2020 to 2022, then we will need to rebuild again.

If Hill and Hill go, then we need to go into full rebuild mode.

Injuries can’t be used as an excuse.

We’re a better team with Hogan and Pearce for sure but we should be able to cover everyone else who’s out and quite easily. Hawthorn had Mitchell and Gunston out yesterday. We weren’t that much worse off than them if at all. And I think Hawthorns list is ****ed. What’s that make ours?

The reality is only Fyfe, Walters, B.Hill, Hogan and Pearce are A Graders currently. Ryan and Wilson could be if they didn’t bomb it 60 metres to whoever happens to be there every time they get it. Hamling and Lobb are good solid B Graders.

The rest of the team is made up of:
1. Guys who would be good players to have if they were number 20-25 on our list but are more like 10-15 on ours.
2. Guys who haven’t taken the next step yet. Most of these guys are being played out of position currently.
3. Players like Mundy and S.Hill who we’re trying to pretend are the players they were 2-3 years ago.

We don’t actually have many kids playing atm. Even Brayshaw and Cerra are up around 35-40 games now. An average we’re young but we aren’t playing a mass of players 22 or under or anything.

We’re a better team with Hogan and Pearce for sure but we should be able to cover everyone else who’s out and quite easily. Hawthorn had Mitchell and Gunston out yesterday. We weren’t that much worse off than them if at all. And I think Hawthorns list is ****ed. What’s that make ours?

The reality is only Fyfe, Walters, B.Hill, Hogan and Pearce are A Graders currently. Ryan and Wilson could be if they didn’t bomb it 60 metres to whoever happens to be there every time they get it. Hamling and Lobb are good solid B Graders.

The rest of the team is made up of:
1. Guys who would be good players to have if they were number 20-25 on our list but are more like 10-15 on ours.
2. Guys who haven’t taken the next step yet. Most of these guys are being played out of position currently.
3. Players like Mundy and S.Hill who we’re trying to pretend are the players they were 2-3 years ago.

We don’t actually have many kids playing atm. Even Brayshaw and Cerra are up around 35-40 games now. An average we’re young but we aren’t playing a mass of players 22 or under or anything.
Brayshaw 33
Cerra 35

Not a fan of people wanting to bin Meek, bloke has a lot more potential than Jones. 21 year old ruckman, got him when he was 19 with a late pick, how can people not see that he's a project player? He's still younger than Jones when he was drafted, they're not in the same bracket, stop associating them.
The only game he was allowed to solo ruck at WAFL senior level he dominated, that prety much assures he'll be on the list until he's 24.

Agree. You’re system should be in place and when there are injuries, you’re replacements simply come in and play the role. “Another soldier in.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back