Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matera is a gun that needs to have more support and supply
I agree. We should be gunning for Toby Greene. Absolute Jet.
A player I would trade away is Cerra.
Has a lot of currency but I have no idea which position he will 'own'.
I can't recall any single moment where he's done something that really made me notice him. I'm not talking dominating a game, I'm talking a moment. He has lot of Sheridan about him.

I agree. We should be gunning for Toby Greene. Absolute Jet.
A player I would trade away is Cerra.
Has a lot of currency but I have no idea which position he will 'own'.
I can't recall any single moment where he's done something that really made me notice him. I'm not talking dominating a game, I'm talking a moment. He has lot of Sheridan about him.
It's a bit hard to make a judgement about Cerra until he gets proper time in the midfield. That's the position he was drafted from.

Matera is such limited player, he is shocking 1v1, does not provide forward pressure.

He can kick 20 to 30 goals a year, but I don't think that is enough. If he provided forward pressure, or could compete in the air the I would understand the love for him.
I think Stratton was playing on him and we were kicking it in high to him one on one.

Matera is such limited player, he is shocking 1v1, does not provide forward pressure.

He can kick 20 to 30 goals a year, but I don't think that is enough. If he provided forward pressure, or could compete in the air the I would understand the love for him.
His job is to turn a loose ball on the boundary into a goal, and only him and Walters can do that.

He needs to be played at the foot of genuine key talls.

Matera is the sort of clutch moment player we will be crying out for when the like of Mayne etc are in his spot putting on pressure.

He is one of the few players in our team that has goal sense. Think about how many the Eagles have in their team.

Needs support.

Lol Matera is our leading goal kicker definitely best 22 even in a top 4 side, then you say Blakely is in the best 15 i think I know who is overrated he’s in our top 15 butcher’s of the footy I’ll give you that.

It's a bit hard to make a judgement about Cerra until he gets proper time in the midfield. That's the position he was drafted from.
Also the guy is tiring big time. Cerra has only had one pre-season. He came into 2018 off very limited preseason - like a few weeks limited. Spent a big portion of Dec 2017 - Feb 2018 walking or jogging laps.

He’s not the quickest but his tank is an issue. Same with Darcy in terms of needing to build a tank.

What I don’t understand is the limited game time for guys like Colyer, Bewley and Brayshaw. These three have broken records for shuttle runs and the like and will come in the top 4-5 in the 2 or 3km time trials. In the case of Colyer can only assume he was benched so much yesterday because he sucked. If that is the case why the heck was he selected.

Could of drafted Stack for nothing and still got the others
I'm going to reserve judgement on how well Stack has gone until he has come home for the off-season.

Not being picked up by anyone is a clear message, whether that message is ringing in his ears when he has a new contract signed and plenty of cash back home with his mates is going to be the test.

Stack & Ian Hill playing today in a game between two top four contenders and the final stage of our rebuild relies on a 24 year old Brett Bewely, 22 year old Lachie Schultz and a long term spaghetti body project Sam Sturt.
I don’t have a big issue with where we picked Schultz (57) and Bewley (59). Sturt has shown promising signs. What we could have done is a live trade to get up to 23/24 and get our hands on Ian Hill. We did trade up for Valente who was a slider and he is more of a inside replacement for the likes of Mundy/Neale.

My number one target and wish for our first pick was Jordan Clarke and damn Geelong jumped in before us at 15. You really need to revisit our selections in 12 -24 months when they have had a couple preseasons. What you also need to do is have a look at the players available at (and after pick 57). There wasn’t a lot left on the board. Both Bewley and Schultz seem to be making steady progress based on yesterday’s showing for Peel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also with Taylor on this, I guess my point is nearly every team in the comp regardless of their realistic premiership chances understand in the turnover and growth of players, except us.

From the letter to the harbour masters at the start of the season, it’s apparent that either the front or back office had conveyed the message that this list was good enough to win a premiership. That was also reflected in our approach to the 2018 draft.

However our current game plan and list can not sustain injuries, so how will we correct that? This year has been a complete write off on & off the field so how can we set ourselves apart from other sides in 2020? Nearly every side in the comp now have a head start on their development.

Geelong have played Clark, WCE Cameron, Collingwood Quaynor, Sydney Blakey, Carlton Walsh, Port Rozee, Butters & Duursma, Adelaide Jones, GWS Hill, WB Smith, North Thomas, Gold Coast Lukosius & King, Melbourne Sparrow,

We have no prepared for anything outside of the next 18 months and we’re going to get absolutely torched by this half-baked strategy in a few years.

Also the guy is tiring big time. Cerra has only had one pre-season. He came into 2018 off very limited preseason - like a few weeks limited. Spent a big portion of Dec 2017 - Feb 2018 walking or jogging laps.

He’s not the quickest but his tank is an issue. Same with Darcy in terms of needing to build a tank.

What I don’t understand is the limited game time for guys like Colyer, Bewley and Brayshaw. These three have broken records for shuttle runs and the like and will come in the top 4-5 in the 2 or 3km time trials. In the case of Colyer can only assume he was benched so much yesterday because he sucked. If that is the case why the heck was he selected.
As far as I can tell, our coaches put Walters on the wing and it failed. To me, it would have been an ideal time to give Colyer an extended time on the wing, where he has played his best footy for Peel and Essendon.. Colyer is in the first year of a new system , seemingly playing forward pocket, in possibly the least organised forward line in the comp. Who really knows if he could be of better value in different circumstances. We were pretty well swamped for size in our forwardline against Hawthorn and I imagine against WC. You need better entries if you are going to be outsized like that.

Stack & Ian Hill playing today in a game between two top four contenders and the final stage of our rebuild relies on a 24 year old Brett Bewely, 22 year old Lachie Schultz and a long term spaghetti body project Sam Sturt.
I still can't work out why we didn't take Hill. Just seemed a no-brainer for what we needed and what he offers.

Just another WA kid missed no doubt we’ll pay overs to get him to come home in a couple of years.

How’s Bolton going? Another WA boy, Dad played for us, and exactly what we need. Have we tried to bring him home I wonder?

We just don’t seem to rate small forwards unless they’re foot soldiers like Switta and Schultz. Other clubs get it, we don’t.

Brandon's job isn't to win one on ones, it's to crumb the tall forwards and snap goals. He's not there to get possessions so as long as he's kicking goals for us that's all I care about.

I think Stratton was playing on him and we were kicking it in high to him one on one.
His job is to turn a loose ball on the boundary into a goal, and only him and Walters can do that.

He needs to be played at the foot of genuine key talls.

Matera is the sort of clutch moment player we will be crying out for when the like of Mayne etc are in his spot putting on pressure.
He is one of the few players in our team that has goal sense. Think about how many the Eagles have in their team.

Needs support.
Lol Matera is our leading goal kicker definitely best 22 even in a top 4 side, then you say Blakely is in the best 15 i think I know who is overrated he’s in our top 15 butcher’s of the footy I’ll give you that.
I put him in menzel category. Kicks goals but nothing else.

We will have to agree to disagree.

Matera is no star but he’s like gold in our team that has a forward pocket just running around trying to get as many tackles as possible (and generally only gets 4 or 5) and another having to play midfield cause “apparently” he’s needed more in there.

It’s time to play Walters where he’s most dangerous and give Crowden or North a go in the midfield. Then replace Switta with Carter who can actually pressure, tackle but also kick more than 30m and has some goal sense. Put Sturt as the third tall forward and see how we go. We can’t do any worse and Matera would look much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back