Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I reckon he was played out of position during his time with us.
It's not our fault the AFL scrapped the sub rule.

But seriously he has always been ok depth at best in whatever position we've played him in. We needed him to be more than a role player and he just never showed it - I'm confident Colyer can do everything Sherro was offering but with some actual pace that can break lines. I wish Rixx luck and am also glad we are giving others a chance (by retaining them instead for another year) who imo have shown greater potential, albeit being a bit inconsistent.

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Do we have any available R/L spots?

I'm thinking more about Tom Medhat, if we don't end up with him in the National Draft what are our options? Is this Cat 2 rookie thing an option for him given he is NGA?
According to afl.com.au the rule is this
'Clubs with Academy programs pre-select local talent from the pool of players in their Academy between the Pre-Season and Rookie Drafts if those players nominated for but were not selected at the most recent National or Pre-Season Drafts.
Only draft-eligible club Academy players who were nominated by their club at the designated time and played in the National Championships are eligible to be pre-selected as a Category B rookie.'
In other words if Carter or Medhat get through the draft we can rookie list them without occupying a position on our rookie list. If no one has bid on them by the fourth round it seems unlikely any team would make a National draft bid as it wouldnt be worth a rival club upsetting another team (risking future bids by freo on that teams academy selections) for the sake a player drafted in the speculative draft pick range. I see pick 65 as the safety net for Carter to make sure we can pick him, but I wouldnt be surprised if he got through the draft as he didnt receive an invite to the National Combine, when 80%+ of players who get drafted in the main draft receive invites. Having both on our rookie list and four live selections in the draft would be a good result I think as I still rate Carter simply from watching him run and kick the ball at training. We look to have hid him to outside watchers a bit.

DannyTheDoorman

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hajduk Split
Do we have any available R/L spots?

I'm thinking more about Tom Medhat, if we don't end up with him in the National Draft what are our options? Is this Cat 2 rookie thing an option for him given he is NGA?
Tell me am I missing something ? What is it about Medhat that indicates we should draft him.

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
He’s captain of his club, has played a good state game and his teammates think he plays like Nathan Fyfe.
He also had a ripping finish to the colts year outperforming plenty of highly rated potential draftees.

Docker44

Rookie
Oct 22, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Last 2 games he played were not in colts but reserves. In the Elim final in reserves.. yup only 5 kicks, but did manage 2 goals in a losing team that only scored 7 goals.

Elim Final West Perth v Swan Districts
After the 18’s he played at half forward in the colts. Struggled at half forward.
They usually pushed him into the middle to get a touch.
WP colts played a high possession, chip it around game, kick it backwards game style, so he picked up a few to pad out his stats.
Didn’t win clearances or hard balls. Isn’t great below his knees and doesn’t really have the small forward skills.
He is a very good mark. But is undersized as a third tall.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
After the 18’s he played at half forward in the colts. Struggled at half forward.
They usually pushed him into the middle to get a touch.
WP colts played a high possession, chip it around game, kick it backwards game style, so he picked up a few to pad out his stats.
Didn’t win clearances or hard balls. Isn’t great below his knees and doesn’t really have the small forward skills.
He is a very good mark. But is undersized as a third tall.
He is rookie list material only for mine. If for some reason a club places a bid on him in the pick range >50 onwards then I doubt we will match. If as I expect to be the case he slips through the ND and PSD then we add him as a Cat-B Rookie pre-selection. His form for West Perth Colts/Reserves was unspectacular. He was played Reserves in rd20 with WP colts out of the finals and then played the elimination final.

He showed a bit with some nice marks and 3 goals in the 4th and final game of the U18 carnival:
https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl-dr...wa-narrowly-beat-the-allies-ng-b88886562z.amp

Jason Carter is the more interesting one. Had some real good WAFL colts games where he had 20 possessions by the third quarter but then dropped off. I would say fitness and injury affected him. He had some moments in the U18 Carnival especially defensively with some real closing speed tackles. Then in the colts there were other games where he went MIA. Played predominantly hbf and wing. Be interesting to see what we do if he is bid on close to our pick in the 60’s. I believe the club is positively hopeful he will slip through the ND and PSD’s.

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Seriously??
Did you see him play.
Couldn’t get a kick at half forward in the last few games.
Yep, Was talking about colts games. No I didnt see him play but read some reports from people who did. He seemed to be getting 20+ possessions and three goals in the games before he played in reserves.

Docker44

Rookie
Oct 22, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
He is rookie list material only for mine. If for some reason a club places a bid on him in the pick range >50 onwards then I doubt we will match. If as I expect to be the case he slips through the ND and PSD then we add him as a Cat-B Rookie pre-selection. His form for West Perth Colts/Reserves was unspectacular. He was played Reserves in rd20 with WP colts out of the finals and then played the elimination final.

He showed a bit with some nice marks and 3 goals in the 4th and final game of the U18 carnival:
https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl-dr...wa-narrowly-beat-the-allies-ng-b88886562z.amp

Jason Carter is the more interesting one. Had some real good WAFL colts games where he had 20 possessions by the third quarter but then dropped off. I would say fitness and injury affected him. He had some moments in the U18 Carnival especially defensively with some real closing speed tackles. Then in the colts there were other games where he went MIA. Played predominantly hbf and wing. Be interesting to see what we do if he is bid on close to our pick in the 60’s. I believe the club is positively hopeful he will slip through the ND and PSD’s.
Medhat is rookie b only in my my opinion. There were better players in the colts for mind.

Jason Carter is an interesting proposition. Two years ago he was one of the better players in his age. However this year his form has wained significantly. Even in games where he played well he went missing for extended periods. This was highlighted in the finals peel played. He had no influence vs Swans.
There were much better players in the peel colts team and he would have been lucky to be in the top 10 outside mids in the colts comp. He had amazing speed when fully fit but has failed to find full fitness for a while now.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yep, Was talking about colts games. No I didnt see him play but read some reports from people who did. He seemed to be getting 20+ possessions and three goals in the games before he played in reserves.
3CCC8A13-FC41-49CD-A8EE-0811B0FF4927.jpeg

Docker44

Rookie
Oct 22, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle

Most reports written on colts game focus on the state u18’s players and “sons of guns”. An average performance by one of these players will draw high praise whereas the kid who averages 25 plus week in week out gets ignored.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Medhat is rookie b only in my my opinion. There were better players in the colts for mind.

Jason Carter is an interesting proposition. Two years ago he was one of the better players in his age. However this year his form has wained significantly. Even in games where he played well he went missing for extended periods. This was highlighted in the finals peel played. He had no influence vs Swans.
There were much better players in the peel colts team and he would have been lucky to be in the top 10 outside mids in the colts comp. He had amazing speed when fully fit but has failed to find full fitness for a while now.
Jason Carter’s stays (last 10 games)
222D88AB-35BA-45BB-9168-6FE0537C21BB.jpeg

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Got to say stats aren’t everything but if that’s all Medhat and Carter can do at Colts level they aren’t senior list material anyway and we won’t have too much of a problem getting them onto our rookie list.

Cobbler

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
The hype over Medhat, Carter and O’Reilly is excessive.

Sure pick them all up as low as possible. Medhat and Carter to justify the NGA program and give following players the pathway and belief they can make it.

Wouldn’t surprise if all 3 (if drafted) get delisted without playing a game for Freo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back