Simmofreo

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
Re Kelly, considering his wife still has an old photo of him on her insta wearing dockers merch and his kid in the same, I am curious as to the reason why last years obvious decision to avoid Freo. I wonder what took him from wearing Dockers merch a few years back to actively avoiding recruitment by the team he used to support(?...you certainly wouldn't get me in an eagles supporters top and hat unless it was a dress up party and I was pretending to be a smug idiot). There's some back story or issue that I would be interested to hear.
I reckon back then he wanted a flag. This is purely my opinion but I think he has a gokd FIRST YEAR in the AFL and he thought "I'm not going to be in the game as long as others, my missus wants to go home, I want a flag and WC can get me one".

However now he is a chance at a brownlow and his value has gone through the roof, and now the missus doesn't care about the flag anymore, but the dollars more important

That being said, I still think he ends up at the toast and their bloody dynasty begins

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Puregold

Team Captain
Jul 29, 2009
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle
Regarding Kelly to Freo, it won't happen.

There's some long-standing behind the scenes politics here that people are unaware of or overlooking - the recent Cats/South Freo love fest highlighted this.

Tim Kelly's manager is entrenched at South Freo. The relationship between South Freo and FFC is terrible (to put it lightly). South Freo will not want to be seen helping FFC in any capacity.

FFC are merely being used as a bargaining chip to drive up the offer from WCE (which we should totally buy into to screw the WCE salary cap).
The relationship between Anthony Van Der Wielen and Peter Bell is positive though. My two cents is that Freo could not enter the negotiations last year as we had other things on our plate (lobb, Hogan). We were ruled out more on that basis. Rumour mongering began from there. He will be a docker if Brad Hill leaves. Eagles and us will both put in an offer. If we have more cash on the table we will move our first on.
I am not purporting to have inside knowledge on this - this is just my read.

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
Fremantle defender Dillon O’Reilly is happy to play the waiting game when it comes to making his AFL debut.

The 19-year-old is used to being patient after he was overlooked in last year’s national draft before making it onto an AFL list in May’s mid-season draft.

Dillon OReilly pictured at Fremantle headquarters in Cockburn Central.
Dillon OReilly pictured at Fremantle headquarters in Cockburn Central.Picture: Jackson Flindell
Despite injuries key position players, O’Reilly said he and the Dockers’ coaching staff had the simple goal of getting him through the the back half of the WAFL season for Peel Thunder, while growing his game and body.

“I came to the club, did a mini pre-season to get up to the standard so I could cope with training,” he said.

“Weights, I lift about four times a week to try to get my body a bit bigger and fitter.

“I have been capped every day with the amount of running. So focusing on that at the moment.

“I will just try to stay injury-free and have a good pre-season to hopefully push for selection next year.”

O’Reilly has performed strong for Peel, keeping former St Kilda forward Tom Lee to just two goals in the two-point loss to Claremont a fortnight ago.

“I was told Thursday that I had the job on him,” O’Reilly recalled.

“I was aware he was not much of a runner, but real strong one-on-one.

“I spoke to Alex Pearce and Roger (Hayden) our backs coach about ways I can help myself defend him and run off, getting him up the ground.”

There is no shortage of defensive talent for O’Reilly to learn from at the Dockers, with likes of Joel Hamling, Pearce and Griffin Logue all helping the youngster develop his game.

“After training I was with Joel (Hamling) who was teaching me a few things with the hips and what not. He has been real helpful, him and Griffin (Logue),” he said.

“It will be hard (to earn selection) with big Alex Pearce back as well, Hamling, Griff. They are all strong and bigger than me.

“Hopefully I can learn off them and get a gig next year.”

eastfreo75

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
On the Road to draft the Crows recruiting manager made some comments that impacts us.

1. They are looking to split pick 3. GSW comes to mine.
2. They will select an academy or son father if they like the player. Have done it before ie Thomas, Perryman, Himmelberg,
3. They love Henry.

If they trade pick 3 to GWS for picks 12,13 expect a bid on Henry.

fnerd

Premiership Player
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle
On the Road to draft the Crows recruiting manager made some comments that impacts us.

2. They will select an academy or son father if they like the player. Have done it before ie Thomas, Perryman, Himmelberg,
3. They love Henry.

Maybe.
Bit of bluster I think more than anything.

They know they ain’t getting him so them looking to split the pick has more to do with how they rate this draft (it’s pretty even after the first 2 as many have already said), -they see more value in splitting it.

Edit -we d do well to take note of what Adelaide are doing as they re one of the best at identifying talent

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club

3. They love Henry.

Yeah he also said he is not sure if Jackson is an Afl ruck mainly because they haven't gotten to see him at league level or forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

eastfreo75

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Maybe.
Bit of bluster I think more than anything.

They know they ain’t getting him so them looking to split the pick has more to do with how they rate this draft (it’s pretty even after the first 2 as many have already said), -they see more value in splitting it.

Edit -we d do well to take note of what Adelaide are doing as they re one of the best at identifying talent
Other teams except The Crows and Roos will let a bid player slide but those 2 teams will read out the next player on their list no matter what.

FreoRicci

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
If Tim Kelly nominates the Eagles then he will get there. Right now, the Eagles are in the box seat.

If we keep Brad Hill he will finish his career at Freo.
This. He’s loves being at Freo. I’m sure we can work something out for him. It’s quite obvious he’s going against his wishes due to his partner.

Snuffaluphagus

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle

fnerd

Premiership Player
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle

St Kilda apparently trying to downsize their first. Bell had better have told them too not bother with Hill if they do
Yeah it’d be rather amusing if they thought that by splitting their pick they can simply offer one of their new picks as to be able to still then have another first rounder.

Superkoops

Club Legend
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Re Kelly, considering his wife still has an old photo of him on her insta wearing dockers merch and his kid in the same, I am curious as to the reason why last years obvious decision to avoid Freo. I wonder what took him from wearing Dockers merch a few years back to actively avoiding recruitment by the team he used to support(?...you certainly wouldn't get me in an eagles supporters top and hat unless it was a dress up party and I was pretending to be a smug idiot). There's some back story or issue that I would be interested to hear.
There was some talk that in the draft or two before Geelong picked Tim (ie 2015/2016 ND) that we indicated to Tim Kelly that we would pick him at “X” pick and we didn’t.

Not sure if true but what I can confirm from friends that have and others that haven’t been drafted is that a lot of clubs each and every year say they will likely pick up a person at certain pick for it to never happen. A very good WAFL player who I studied with was promised to be picked up as a late pick. We started watching the telecast (Scott Jones style) late in the draft and when St Kilda’s pick ** came up he said this is the one - only for nothing to eventuate.

Superkoops

Club Legend
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

St Kilda apparently trying to downsize their first. Bell had better have told them too not bother with Hill if they do
I don’t mind as long as they pass them both over to us. Quite happy to go into the draft with 7, 13, 14, Liam Henry (bid match 15)😌

mike91

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don’t mind as long as they pass them both over to us. Quite happy to go into the draft with 7, 13, 14, Liam Henry (bid match 15)
Would make it pointless, meaning it wouldn't happen.

Really hope Bell is ruthless here. If they trade up (hypothetically 10 & 18), I'd be wanting #10 and 2020 first for Hill and a 2nd/3rd round. Or Bell says "Brad, you can either stay for another season, or go to Melbourne"

Either way, I hope no one bothers trading with them St Kilda

eastfreo75

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
There was some talk that in the draft or two before Geelong picked Tim (ie 2015/2016 ND) that we indicated to Tim Kelly that we would pick him at “X” pick and we didn’t.

Not sure if true but what I can confirm from friends that have and others that haven’t been drafted is that a lot of clubs each and every year say they will likely pick up a person at certain pick for it to never happen. A very good WAFL player who I studied with was promised to be picked up as a late pick. We started watching the telecast (Scott Jones style) late in the draft and when St Kilda’s pick ** came up he said this is the one - only for nothing to eventuate.
It amazes me why clubs promise to draft players.

You would think it be better to say nothing and play poker.

eastfreo75

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle

I think a lot of teams will try to downgrade their pick with GWS.

Because of the nature of this draft it’s better to downgrade.

Top Bottom