Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pick 5 and 25 is pretty fair.

Ask for two top 10 picks, and the they think they win but only paying up 5 and 25 :)

Would you swap 5 for 12 and 13?
I think I would, as I like the WA players in that area.

It would leave us 6, 12, 13, 25 (Henry), 26

Ash, Stephens , Rivers, Sharp, , Taylor, Gould

A starting forward line with Henry and Taylor would give me something to be excited about.
Rivers, Gould and Ash would improve our back line.
Sharp and Stephens on the wing would be great.

Assuming Langdon and Hill go, I think we are in full rebuild mode.
I think our expectations might be getting a little out of hand. Neale is a significantly more valuable asset given he's younger, a better player and plays a role that generally goes for more.

Trading Hill for that value would be a big win IMO in terms of normal trading. Its unlikely to happen but what I think we should be aiming for as the top compensation we could squeeze out of Melbourne/Saints

Edit: I want us to be prepared to keep him, but dont do so out of spite. Get the best deal we can get, which is overs. We cant get more value than this year, its his highest selling point

I think our expectations might be getting a little out of hand. Neale is a significantly more valuable asset given he's younger, a better player and plays a role that generally goes for more.

Trading Hill for that value would be a big win IMO in terms of normal trading. Its unlikely to happen but what I think we should be aiming for as the top compensation we could squeeze out of Melbourne/Saints
Neale was going to be a free agent at the end of the following year though.

Hill is still contracted for another season at the same point.

Neale was going to be a free agent at the end of the following year though.

Hill is still contracted for another season at the same point.
Its a fair point, there will be a limit to which clubs pay overs though. Two top 10s will be completely off the table IMO.

Get overs and move on. I dont think a club is paying more than 8-12 if he's uncontracted. So thats my baseline where I'm going, lets get 50% more as the very best we can get.

I think a top 10 pick is non-negotiable in the trade and will be pissed if we settle for less.

The number of feathers Bell gets will be determined by the mayo he gets to go with the top 10

Edit: I want us to be prepared to keep him, but dont do so out of spite. Get the best deal we can get, which is overs. We cant get more value than this year, its his highest selling point
His highest selling point has to be balanced against other factors: How it impacts our on field performance (not disastrous, but measurable), how it impacts our image amonst players as an attractive destination, how 'losing' Hill can effect the narrative, we all know media narratives become facts if people react to the pressure. etc. etc.
I wouldn't expect to receive two first round top ten picks either, and that surely is not the expectation. It's more like short hand for saying he will be retained unless the offer is too good to refuse.
Equally it could just be bullshit, like it was when the Dees footy department asked the same for Hogan.

Its a fair point, there will be a limit to which clubs pay overs though. Two top 10s will be completely off the table IMO.

Get overs and move on. I dont think a club is paying more than 8-12 if he's uncontracted. So thats my baseline where I'm going, lets get 50% more as the very best we can get.

I think a top 10 pick is non-negotiable in the trade and will be pi**ed if we settle for less.

The number of feathers Bell gets will be determined by the mayo he gets to go with the top 10
I agree with you. I expect the football department to be under such pressure for results next year that they won't let Hill go. Let's say Carlton sign Stephen Hill on reasonable cash and it lands us an extra second, they also get Coniglio and they have Brad Hill nominating them - they are in full stock up mode to get competitive as soon as possible.

I say we take their first round picks for the next two years for Brad. That's going to be Adelaide's pick 10 and conservatively a pick between 7 and 13 next year.

That seems fair to me for his importance to us and they want immediate results so more draftees isn't getting it done for them.

His highest selling point has to be balanced against other factors: How it impacts our on field performance (not disastrous, but measurable), how it impacts our image amonst players as an attractive destination, how 'losing' Hill can effect the narrative, we all know media narratives become facts if people react to the pressure. etc. etc.
I wouldn't expect to receive two first round top ten picks either, and that surely is not the expectation. It's more like short hand for saying he will be retained unless the offer is too good to refuse.
Equally it could just be bulls**t, like it was when the Dees footy department asked the same for Hogan.
Oh yeah agree with all points, just trying to moderate some expectations of people who think we are a chance of two top 10 picks, we arent. Even St Kilda arent THAT desperate to being a name in.

Pick 5 and 25 is pretty fair.

Ask for two top 10 picks, and the they think they win but only paying up 5 and 25 :)

Would you swap 5 for 12 and 13?
I think I would, as I like the WA players in that area.

It would leave us 6, 12, 13, 25 (Henry), 26

Ash, Stephens , Rivers, Sharp, , Taylor, Gould

A starting forward line with Henry and Taylor would give me something to be excited about.
Rivers, Gould and Ash would improve our back line.
Sharp and Stephens on the wing would be great.

Assuming Langdon and Hill go, I think we are in full rebuild mode.
If we lost Hill for Stephens and one of Jackson/Taylor/Rivers, then I would not be unhappy with the trade, and simultaneously unhappy that we lost Hill.

I agree with you. I expect the football department to be under such pressure for results next year that they won't let Hill go. Let's say Carlton sign Stephen Hill on reasonable cash and it lands us an extra second, they also get Coniglio and they have Brad Hill nominating them - they are in full stock up mode to get competitive as soon as possible.

I say we take their first round picks for the next two years for Brad. That's going to be Adelaide's pick 10 and conservatively a pick between 7 and 13 next year.

That seems fair to me for his importance to us and they want immediate results so more draftees isn't getting it done for them.
I understand now, you dont think it will be traded unless its the biggest Godfather deal imaginable. I can 100% see that being the case given the state of affairs off-field

No I agree with Snuff. We won't get two top tens (not without something of significance going back the other way that means really it's not). If we mean what we say about those two picks he'll be staying another year.

I understand now, you dont think it will be traded unless its the biggest Godfather deal imaginable. I can 100% see that being the case given the state of affairs off-field
That's my expectations. The media have the knives sharpened over Ross Lyon and everyone at the club is on notice.

Fremantle is better off with Brad Hill at our club next season, even if it's for a first and a second that gets chewed into 4th with a Henry bid.

Oh yeah agree with all points, just trying to moderate some expectations of people who think we are a chance of two top 10 picks, we arent. Even St Kilda arent THAT desperate to being a name in.
The Saints shouldn't be trying to bring anyone in. Their rebuild is technically a failure at this point and outside run is not going to fix that problem. They should focus on bringing in as much elite young talent as possible and spend their money on keeping it and other recent draftees.

Also nothing is going to moderate some peoples expectations!

No I agree with Snuff. We won't get two top tens (not without something of significance going back the other way that means really it's not). If we mean what we say about those two picks he'll be staying another year.
Wait I didn't read this properly did I?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So is it perfectly above board for the eagles to offer T.Kelly 'X' amount of money and once he's off the eagles books(retired),west coast go and pay for his new property in North Fremantle or where ever?

Good Lord, the thought of Kelly in that West Coast team sends shivers down my spine.

They are set up for 10 years over there i reckon.

Some fantastic finds in blokes like Rioli, Ryan, Oscar Allen, Petraccelli, Cameron. Jeez. Happy days over there.

How do we find just 1 player that can have an immediate impact like that ?

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Its a false economy. Put any of those players in our team and I expect they would have half the impact. Kids always play well with A graders around them. See richmond.

Based on this article:

I can’t see Melbourne giving away Pick 2. If they did it would to involve us swapping our first pick as part of the trade (like my proposal above).

What I do like is them strongly opposing a PP for GCS at the front of the draft. There appears to be too much opposition and likely AFL will grant a mid range 1st Pick (Pick 11) or end of first round pick (pick 19/20).
Well Brad Hill walked straight into a brand new 'Dale Alcock' home when he came over here. Fairly sure some other players have found Alcock has their builder of choice if you know what I mean,
Simmons Homes is the choice for Cats players as well.

If we must lose Hill and Langdon also goes we need to trade for a ready made player. 18yo draft picks may come good in 4 years. We have traded well for some improvement recently we can't throw that out the window if we lose what limited midfield run we have.

I'd be happy with Kelly. What other ex WA running mids are available we could trade for?

If we must lose Hill and Langdon also goes we need to trade for a ready made player. 18yo draft picks may come good in 4 years. We have traded well for some improvement recently we can't throw that out the window if we lose what limited midfield run we have.

I'd be happy with Kelly. What other ex WA running mids are available we could trade for?
I hope we get aggressive and go after :
Kelly
Bolton
Martin

If we can’t them, wait another year to trade B Hill and get into the ears of players for a year.

It seems the 2019 and 2020 won’t be strong.

I mean, lets not get carried away, he's not worth two top 10 picks.

I agree, the draft is lottery, but two top 10 picks is stretching a bit.

Would be very happy with Neale level compo and I think that's the best we can stretch for but still unlikely.
Yeah I think the Neale deal of something along the lines of a top 10 (closer to 5 than 10) and a second rounder (no lower than 25 I’d be reasonably happy with

WHy would we go back to rebuild when we have been doing that the last 4 years, we were 2-3 wins from the finals this year. You really think Ross is going to start over again in his last year of his contract?
Losing Weller, Neale, Langdon and B Hill in the last three years has put us back.

If we lose B Hill and gain Kelly, all good. But we don’t get Kelly, we will in the same spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back