Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. Hope to see Stephen get going again. I reckon it also means we are going to see Acres running around in Purple next year.
I still think West Coast are in the box seat. Something like
15, 24, 34 > Kelly; or
15, 34, Brander > Kelly Would be around the mark

Last edited:

could see a 3-way between Geelong, Saints, and Freo for Kelly, Bhilly, and Stevens (+ picks). With Ross and Rosich gone, and Bell in charge, not sure if the issues for Kelly would still be there(?), and I imagine Geelong (contending) would not want to make WC stronger if they had the choice.

Never actually thought Shill would leave. It was always an assumption and never based on any actual comment or reason (other than $$). Hopefully he is up and about next year. Will make a big difference to the skill level. Will also be the 2nd oldest player in the team so good character for the young ones to learn off (like Mundy).

could see a 3-way between Geelong, Saints, and Freo for Kelly, Bhilly, and Stevens (+ picks). With Ross and Rosich gone, and Bell in charge, not sure if the issues for Kelly would still be there(?), and I imagine Geelong (contending) would not want to make WC stronger if they had the choice.

Never actually thought Shill would leave. It was always an assumption and never based on any actual comment or reason (other than $$). Hopefully he is up and about next year. Will make a big difference to the skill level. Will also be the 2nd oldest player in the team so good character for the young ones to learn off (like Mundy).
I get what your saying but it really means close to f all what Geelong want. The only way it will matter is if WC try to lowball and Geelong tell Kelly its Freo or the draft, both are unlikely.

Kelly will have to pick us and the only way I see that happening is if we pay him some ridiculous overs because you know whatever the Eagles offer under the cap there will be some stupid side deals on top of it to significantly boost his earnings. They rort the salary cap system like no one else.

I'm 90% sure his "change of heart" with regards to playing for us is entirely him and his manager realising they were dickheads last year and they are playing the game properly this season

I get what your saying but it really means close to f all what Geelong want. The only way it will matter is if WC try to lowball and Geelong tell Kelly its Freo or the draft, both are unlikely.

Kelly will have to pick us and the only way I see that happening is if we pay him some ridiculous overs because you know whatever the Eagles offer under the cap there will be some stupid side deals on top of it to significantly boost his earnings. They rort the salary cap system like no one else.

I'm 90% sure his "change of heart" with regards to playing for us is entirely him and his manager realising they were dickheads last year and they are playing the game properly this season
If you were the WC list manager and your target key player was turning his nose up at the only other team in town, you're offering him $150,000 less a year than you thought you had to.

They might trade Gaff back to Melbourne and use that currency for Kelly.

If you were the WC list manager and your target key player was turning his nose up at the only other team in town, you're offering him $150,000 less a year than you thought you had to.

They might trade Gaff back to Melbourne and use that currency for Kelly.
Haha maybe. Would be a touch of arrogance about it.

I think we can be certain that we'll have cash to splash though with no Hill or Langdon going forward. Could easily front-load some mammoth offer for Kelly if we wanted to.

I could easily see us offering Kelly 1.1-1.2m a year with 1.8m of it next year.

With the ridiculous nature of the minimum spend (which is completely stupid and limiting as far as I'm concerned), you want to be paying SOMEONE on your list, up to a certain point, of you end up paying duds more than they are worth which kills you.

Lose two Hills and Langdon and don't bring in any ready mades and only use the draft and we need to be a little circumspect about the delistings IMO

Given the losses I think just about everyone would need to stay, even North and Nyhuis...one year deals all round.

Lose Sandi, Ballantyne, Bennell, Kersten, 2 Hills and Langdon replace with Henry and 6 other draftees? Too many small immature bodies
. Correct
I always thought delisting around 10 players result in recruiting more spuds that too lnexperienced as most picks will be late ones...

Kelly for Hill would be OK. We could use one more mature inside mid and hopefully have a high enough pick to get someone like Stephens for the outside.
If we can get Stephen fit, there is our direct replacement for his brother Brad.
As stated if Stephen stays I reckon the damage can be limited.
Just need the S&C to get its s**t together, this needs to be a massive focus.

Whats the word on Quinton Narkle? He looked good on the weekend and was talked about as an Ablett or Selwood replacement. Doesnt look to have a DH factor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it true that Brad Hill’s contract is heavily front loaded? Pretty big coincidence his “missus” wants to head home now that it’s the other side of said contract... honestly if true all respect is lost and his contract should be averaged out so we get our excess for nothing back.

Is it true that Brad Hill’s contract is heavily front loaded? Pretty big coincidence his “missus” wants to head home now that it’s the other side of said contract... honestly if true all respect is lost and his contract should be averaged out so we get our excess for nothing back.
That's the word.

AFL is full of this pretend emotional story though. Judd got $300,000 for being the environmental spokesman for a cardboard company owned by a figurehead of Carlton if he went to them.

It's all rubbish mercenary stuff. It's business.

It's possible, but he apparently signed a 3 year deal when he joined in 2016. He then must've signed a 2 year extension at some point (but I can't find any reference to it.) Add that to an apparent trade request last year and it doesn't seem to fit the front-loaded contract story.

Isn't that what happened with Lachie Neale as well?

It can work well for the club if it's a player that's definitely going to hang around as it allows salary cap flexibility down the track. If both those stories are true then seems like Freo thought both those guys weren't going anywhere and got caught napping unfortunately.

If we lose B.Hill and Langdon is there much point in bringing in Kelly?

Surely we accept how bad things are and hit the draft with 6 & 7.
Depends, does Fyfe really want to spend the next 2-3 years as the only person getting contested possesions and getting smashed in contest after contest, surely he would want some more experienced help around.

I don't think that matters that much. It seems that the Saints are the front runners and if BHill wants to go there then trade week will play out with a Saints-or-bust conversation. That's how it usually plays out.

We have the right like the cats did last year to say the deals not good enough because BHill is contracted but it's rare that another team swoops in and gets the player. Honestly the last time I can remember that happening was Mitch Clark and Freo with the Dees 'swooping in'.
Sick of these players that say they only want to go to one club, if he wants to go to Victoria for the missus and family it shouldn't matter which Vic club it is and he should do the best thing by us and go where we get the best deal as he is still contracted.

Isn't that what happened with Lachie Neale as well?

It can work well for the club if it's a player that's definitely going to hang around as it allows salary cap flexibility down the track. If both those stories are true then seems like Freo thought both those guys weren't going anywhere and got caught napping unfortunately.
It might work back for us when Neale's missus wants to come home to start a family after 3y of his 5y (probably frontloaded given the age profile of the team) deal.

For those thinking Nyhuis is gone. Who do we have to be lockdown defender on the oppo best small forward.
We have rebounders in Wilson/Ryan, Big defenders in Pearce/Hamling. But who shuts down the Betts and Riolis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back