Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

He was using an example - you could replace with a heap of others. I always liked the look of South Australian U18 Tom Lewis.

Let’s give Colyer a chance but at the time I was a little surprised with the very late trade. Even more surprised with 3-year contract. You could see they were trying to add some genuine speed and spread with Colyer.

Picks after 60 in the ND I have no issue with trading for a fringe 22 player. Both Kersten and Colyer were going to be offered contracts by the previous clubs - but we over reached with the length of contact - 2 years max.

If these fringe players aren’t willing to come for 2-years then forget them and draft a kid.

After doing the list - I agree that there are too many spuds. But the bigger problem I believe is the length of the contract for the spuds.

With the Matera and Colyer trades/contracts there seems to be too much influence from and need to appease Colin Young.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Two things with this:

a) It is a terrible example
b) Matera, Colyer and Kersten are all far better players than most picks 40+ and especially picks 60+

There are heaps of kids that look great in their draft year and then never get drafted or do and get delisted without playing a game.

I was no fan of Colyer but lets give him the benefit of the doubt. Kersten is fine as defender depth or will be delisted anyway and Matera has 2 seasons to find the goals,

Two things with this:

a) It is a terrible example
b) Matera, Colyer and Kersten are all far better players than most picks 40+ and especially picks 60+

There are heaps of kids that look great in their draft year and then never get drafted or do and get delisted without playing a game.

I was no fan of Colyer but lets give him the benefit of the doubt. Kersten is fine as defender depth or will be delisted anyway and Matera has 2 seasons to find the goals,
If you could pick 3 mature age players mid year from 2nd tier comp, or keep colyer, Kersten and Matera who would you pick.

I would pick the later.

If you could pick 3 mature age players mid year from 2nd tier comp, or keep colyer, Kersten and Matera who would you pick.

I would pick the later.

Kersten and Matera have 6+ AFL seasons under their belt and still don't rip it up at WAFL level , give me the blokes performing at the lower level with scope to improve with access to a professional environment any day

Or we could have just kept Collins and Crozier and bundled those lower picks into a decent pick the next year because you can get some good value by giving up the immediacy

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Think the problem with Matera is we are playing Ballantyne in his ideal position, and so we end up using him as a half forward or worse, in the midfield and he sucks further up ground. Both are best as deep small forwards imo, and think there is only room for one or the other, not both. If we had other options ready I'd probably play neither until they earn it at WAFL.

Ross is blinded by his loyalty to Ballas just like he was with Dawson. Every other player gets critiqued on pressure acts and helping team mates, whilst with Ballas it's always how many goals, or even worse, how many he could have had. With Dawson it was how many spoils, completely ignoring intercepts, rebound attack etc that the other defenders were critiqued on. The fact both play/played at extremes of either end of the ground seems to be largely ignored. Deepest forward gets a whole lot of cheap goals, deepest defender gets a whole lot of spoils... who would have thunk it? Ballas is 31yo, why can't he play the 'Hodge role' (ha ha ha) at Peel?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At other clubs people only remember a players good games.

He was just as rubbish at GC the majority of the time. Two or three good games a season doesn’t make you AFL quality.

On the contrary, two or three good games at AFL level does make you AFL quality.

His stats say that he played more than two or three good games a season in any case. If you can average 15 disp and well over a goal a game playing as a small forward in the AFL in a s**t team, you’re AFL quality.

When a player comes to your club and stinks, some go into denial about the past.

On the contrary, two or three good games at AFL level does make you AFL quality.

His stats say that he played more than two or three good games a season in any case. If you can average 15 disp and well over a goal a game playing as a small forward in the AFL in a s**t team, you’re AFL quality.

When a player comes to your club and stinks, some go into denial about the past.

I never wanted the spud at the football club.

I don’t care if it’s in a shite team or not 120 odd goals in 100 games is about the ratio Hayden Ballantyne went at last year and everyone thinks he’s shite.

Ballantyne offers more defensive pressure too.

We got sucked in by one five goal 29 disposal performance against a very average Carlton side.

Nathan Wilson, Joel Hamling and Brad Hill didn’t become shite players at Freo. Why’s that? Because they weren’t shite at their previous clubs either.

Nathan Wilson, Joel Hamling and Brad Hill didn’t become shite players at Freo. Why’s that?
Those three did have the advantage of being played in their best positions at Freo though...

McCarthy played as primary KPF when he's really a medium forward, Matera as a mid/half forward when he's really a fwd pocket, Kersten as a KPF and then KPD when he's a medium forward.

Not giving these guys an out (for their lack of effort nor lack of versatility) but is it just a coincidence the ones performing well have been played in their best positions and those that haven't, haven't?

They were just examples.

Letting him train with us and keeping a spot open for was a great call my Richmond.

I believe stack has a Better chance of playing 100 more games player than colyer, and those games will be of a bigger impact.

Some times you need to draft the high risk players, and hope your culture is strong enough.

It was in Stacks best interest that he left Perth and started footy somewhere else.

Other issues at play, and I wish him the best at Richmond.

Those three did have the advantage of being played in their best positions at Freo though...

McCarthy played as primary KPF when he's really a medium forward, Matera as a mid/half forward when he's really a fwd pocket, Kersten as a KPF and then KPD when he's a medium forward.

Not giving these guys an out (for their lack of effort nor lack of versatility) but is it just a coincidence the ones performing well have been played in their best positions and those that haven't, haven't?

We traded more for the three I listed than the three you listed. Perhaps there’s a reason why?

I must admit I have been disappointed with McCarthy and I once upon a time thought he was a good footballer. There’s a small chance he still may be. Matera, Colyer or Kersten just aren’t good footballers and never have been.

I’ve been thinking for some time that free agents aside if they aren’t worth sacrificing a late second for they aren’t worth getting.

McCarthy, Bennell, Hamling, Wilson, Hill, Hogan and Lobb all had second rounders or better involved in their trades because they are good footballers (although in some cases deemed damaged goods). Conca was a free agent the AFL deemed worthy of second ruck compensation. Matera, Colyer and Kersten weren’t worth involving second rounders for and they’re all spuds. What a surprise.

Look at some of the players we’ve got with third and fourth rounders over the years and ask yourself whether it’s worth trading for players you know are spuds.

Look at some of the players we’ve got with third and fourth rounders over the years and ask yourself whether it’s worth trading for players you know are spuds.
Is the risk any less at the draft though? More than half the players we've drafted using 3rd and 4th rounders have been busts. We already have a heap of youngsters on our list we need to develop, would adding even more have really been any smarter than taking a cheap gamble on some guys who were B22 (or close to) for other AFL teams?

We traded more for the three I listed than the three you listed. Perhaps there’s a reason why?

I must admit I have been disappointed with McCarthy and I once upon a time thought he was a good footballer. There’s a small chance he still may be. Matera, Colyer or Kersten just aren’t good footballers and never have been.

I’ve been thinking for some time that free agents aside if they aren’t worth sacrificing a late second for they aren’t worth getting.

McCarthy, Bennell, Hamling, Wilson, Hill, Hogan and Lobb all had second rounders or better involved in their trades because they are good footballers (although in some cases deemed damaged goods). Conca was a free agent the AFL deemed worthy of second ruck compensation. Matera, Colyer and Kersten weren’t worth involving second rounders for and they’re all spuds. What a surprise.

Matera kicked 6 goals in a game against Hawthorn for Gold Coast.
yes, he hasn't lived up to that performance, however that feat alone confirms he is not a spud.
fix what is between his ears & fix the team structures & we will have a VERY dangerous forward

Matera kicked 6 goals in a game against Hawthorn for Gold Coast.
yes, he hasn't lived up to that performance, however that feat alone confirms he is not a spud.
fix what is between his ears & fix the team structures & we will have a VERY dangerous forward
Are you hoping Brayshaw may one day be as AFL worthy as Matera?

Are you hoping Brayshaw may one day be as AFL worthy as Matera?
below the belt, mate
totally different roles
totally different players
Matera who is MUCH older has had at least one WOW game
that's where I'm coming from
I prefer to not comment on Andrew as my personal opinion on AB cloud the discussion about Matera
bottom line,
Go Freo
off to watch the AFLW game now

Is the risk any less at the draft though? More than half the players we've drafted using 3rd and 4th rounders have been busts. We already have a heap of youngsters on our list we need to develop, would adding even more have really been any smarter than taking a cheap gamble on some guys who were B22 (or close to) for other AFL teams?

Two men jump out of a plane. One wears a parachute, the other doesn’t.

Who’s taking the most risk - the guy wearing the parachute as the guy without knows the outcome.

I know they’re picks that don’t always work but Michael Walters, Lachie Neale and Luke Ryan were fourth rounders. Ed Langdon was a third, as was Dylan Roberton and Zac Clarke. That’s just in the last ten drafts.

They don’t have to be kids - they don’t even need to be picks. We’ve delisted players that have more of a use on the list than Matera and Colyer in the last three years. We could’ve kept Sam Collins (our KPD depth stinks) and used the third rounder on say Matthew Parker.

Last edited:

I would pick the later.
Not fussed either way but honestly, logic says the boys we have are better. Especially since the mature stocks have been plundered lately. I definitely wasn't a fan of Colyer coming, ftr.

Not fussed either way but honestly, logic says the boys we have are better. Especially since the mature stocks have been plundered lately. I definitely wasn't a fan of Colyer coming, ftr.

Why not? AFL ready body, explosive speed and has been a pretty constant member of Essendons best 22. Has had a poor JLT but I think we read too much into preseason competitions. With Switta and Matera out, I think he becomes a fairly important player Sunday week and at least he has done it before at AFL level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back