Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to Crozier (you know, evidence facts n stuff...) he had a great relationship with Lyon and saw himself staying at Freo permanently, but the Bulldogs came at him hard with a strong pitch and a definitive vision of where they saw him. This also got him thinking of being back home and made for a hard to resist combination.
His dad came into work a few years ago.

He said that Hayden was very happy at the Dockers and mentioned that the club was very supportive.

I said him that his son should have been played back but Croziers dad said that the club needed a forward at the time because of lack of depth.

Made me mad at the time. We should have left him in the back line as he did pretty well the previous year.

Ross isn’t the first coach or the last coach to do this.

For me, it’s very short term thinking.

Better play players in their best roles. If their is a lack of depth in area, then live with it and then recruit players.

He said that Hayden was very happy at the Dockers and mentioned that the club was very supportive.

I said him that his son should have been played back but Croziers dad said that the club needed a forward at the time because of lack of depth.

Made me mad at the time. We should have left him in the back line as he did pretty well the previous year.

Better play players in their best roles. If their is a lack of depth in area, then live with it and then recruit players.
Unfortunately the timing wasn't ideal in moving off half-back, but there was a pretty compelling case for Crozier being the best candidate to meet the smaller forward need after those stocks were hit. He was recruited as a forward and had played there at Freo. He did ok there too and if he had longer to play there he might've pulled it off, which would've been great given his speccie taking capacity.

You could also see their thinking in having others further learn their craft in the half-back role, like Weller with his dash and penetrating kicking.

And yet, Suban was preferred over him and so he played WAFL.

I'm not losing too much sleep over the decision to let Hayden go. Given a full side to choose from you can only have so many attacking defenders in it. His actual defensive work is pretty poor. Duffield level.
If it was a list balance choice between trading Wilson in or matching the Dogs years and money it was the right one.

According to Crozier (you know, evidence facts n stuff...) he had a great relationship with Lyon and saw himself staying at Freo permanently, but the Bulldogs came at him hard with a strong pitch and a definitive vision of where they saw him. This also got him thinking of being back home and made for a hard to resist combination.
Yes, he loved the club & loved Perth, but the Beverage pitched the half back role to him & a clearer plan moving forward. After meeting with him he decided immediately that he wanted to move to the bulldogs.
Now if Ross had played him in the position where he was most consistent & played his best footy for us instead of playing him in the high half forward role for the last 2 years of his contract, he probably would have extended mid season without talking to anyone.
That suggests that he didn’t want to play under Lyon, if he did he’d still be here.

Yes, he loved the club & loved Perth, but the Beverage pitched the half back role to him & a clearer plan moving forward. After meeting with him he decided immediately that he wanted to move to the bulldogs.
Now if Ross had played him in the position where he was most consistent & played his best footy for us instead of playing him in the high half forward role for the last 2 years of his contract, he probably would have extended mid season without talking to anyone.
That suggests that he didn’t want to play under Lyon, if he did he’d still be here.
Now there's a classic example of having an answer and then weaving "events" selectively to meet that conclusion. So how, given he said explicitly he was more than happy playing under Lyon (in fact he was pretty effusive in his praise of Lyon) and at the time he was happy to play his career out at Freo, does that equal he didn't want to play under Lyon? Your logic is extremely wobbly, to put it mildly.

instead of playing him in the high half forward role for the last 2 years of his contract, he probably would have extended mid season without talking to anyone.
This is invention, where's your observable evidence to say that's the case? Anyways he was forward mostly covering for Ballantyne that year. Who would be a more suitable candidate for that role? Are you advocating bending the teams needs to accommodate a mid-tier developing player like Crozier?

The Bulldogs had designs on Crozier for a while before making that pitch and when that's the case, of course you're going to be able to communicate more clearly to him what you have in mind. If you're trying to lure a player over you're going to say what he wants to hear. Mostly in that regard all the player's got to go on is the pitch, which would give it added edge. But he also said it was the combination of the Bulldogs having a strong pitch and offer as well as a reconsideration of going back to Melbourne had him moving. He said it wasn't that easy a decision.

Haven’t heard much on the Langdon front except for touring Essendons facility. Anyone else hear any other snippets?

Now there's a classic example of having an answer and then weaving "events" selectively to meet that conclusion. So how, given he said explicitly he was more than happy playing under Lyon (in fact he was pretty effusive in his praise of Lyon) and at the time he was happy to play his career out at Freo, does that equal he didn't want to play under Lyon? Your logic is extremely wobbly, to put it mildly.

This is invention, where's your observable evidence to say that's the case? Anyways he was forward mostly covering for Ballantyne that year. Who would be a more suitable candidate for that role? Are you advocating bending the teams needs to accommodate a mid-tier developing player like Crozier?

The Bulldogs had designs on Crozier for a while before making that pitch and when that's the case, of course you're going to be able to communicate more clearly to him what you have in mind. If you're trying to lure a player over you're going to say what he wants to hear. Mostly in that regard all the player's got to go on is the pitch, which would give it added edge. But he also said it was the combination of the Bulldogs having a strong pitch and offer as well as a reconsideration of going back to Melbourne had him moving. He said it wasn't that easy a decision.
Seriously wasting your time buddy. We are starting to sound like a board full of St Cicatiz type posters - Ross Lyon was the devil and responsible for everything that has ever been wrong with the club.

I'm not overly fussed that he's gone to be honest, he gave us our best years to date but they were well behind us. He had his faults, sure, but player engagement was not one of them and I think he's left us with a pretty good list. I guess only time will tell.

Seriously wasting your time buddy. We are starting to sound like a board full of St Cicatiz type posters - Ross Lyon was the devil and responsible for everything that has ever been wrong with the club.

I'm not overly fussed that he's gone to be honest, he gave us our best years to date but they were well behind us. He had his faults, sure, but player engagement was not one of them and I think he's left us with a pretty good list. I guess only time will tell.
Hey, I'm a fan of facts being observable and specific and having them drive the story rather than the story create and select the "facts" is all. No sweat.

Lyon is neither here nor there as he's no longer at Freo, but he's a frequent lightning rod for the later approach to how things are construed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey, I'm a fan of facts being observable and specific and having them drive the story rather than the story create and select the "facts" is all. No sweat.

Lyon is neither here nor there as he's no longer at Freo, but he's a frequent lightning rod for the later approach to how things are construed.
Yeah I like your work calling it out, and think that there is no value in belly aching about things that are half truths and speculation. But it is a chat site, and my expectations on what to expect from posters on here are at an all time low.

Don’t think we should sweat over Crozier. He got found out one-on-one defensively in the final. His size isn’t ideal across half back. Light frame. Plus he goes for speccies nearly every marking contest. That pissed me off. No loss tbh. Good player yes, but there’s better across half back.
IMO, Hughes is a better size, better hands and can match up on medium forwards

Last edited:
Don’t think we should swear over Crozier. He got found out one-on-one defensively in the final. His size isn’t ideal across half back. Light frame. Plus he goes for speccies nearly every marking contest. That pi**ed me off. No loss tbh. Good player yes, but there’s better across half back.
IMO, Hughes is a better size, better hands and can match up on medium forwards
But Hughes ball watchers and butchers the ball.

Drops overhead marks.

Yeah I like your work calling it out, and think that there is no value in belly aching about things that are half truths and speculation. But it is a chat site, and my expectations on what to expect from posters on here are at an all time low.

lets talk about this Gav ;) generate positive topics maybe......unfortuneately we have a few weeks before things heat up with some real relevant content.

Cam Wood intrigues. He’s a great kick just lie McCarthy. He’s medium forward but can play him as a attacking winger, ie around the forward line/wing. Good size.
After the season we had, be great to have more depth. Kersten leaving means Wood can come in. The coach would need to change the gameplan around Langdon and Hill ball carrying. Other avenues will be important. It’s possible. Don’t need to have pacey wingers but more efficient kickers- which Langdon will never be. Players like MacRae, Duncan, Gaff. Not quick but they can deliver lace out passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back