Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't mind Acres as steak knives for depth, which is something we're missing. His first year was quite good from memory but seems to have stagnated.

Yeah, i'd take Acres but I wouldn't assign a lot of value to him. 5 and Acres is what i'd be gunning for at the trade table.

And if there's any truth to freo trading him due to internal conflict ( plus his performance this year) then you lose that trade imo.

I'd be OK with Kelly and their third (56)
Maybe we try the St Kilda trade down and try 14 and Blakely.

By the way, I am happy with hitting the draft. Excited even.

We are cooked for 2020 in my eyes. No B.Hill, no Langdon and a new coach. Our spine is sorted for the next 5-7 years as long as our medical department can get themselves together.

Our midfield is OK with Fyfe, S.Hill, M
Walters, Brayshaw, Conca, Tucker and Cerra but we are desperately thin on midfield talent.

Backline is rock solid (Ryan, Hamling, Pearce, Wilson, Hughes) but we need to get someone like a Stephenson / De Goey / Caddy to be that lethal goalkicker.

If we can get our full team on the park then I am less pessimistic about 2020 but it is so hard being a supporter sometimes. I have zero faith in keeping a fit 22 on the park.

The new coach is on a hiding to nothing unless some revised expecations are put out for supporters. If we go into 2020 expecting finals we are in for a bad time.

Hit the draft hard, hope we are ready forna flag tilt within 3 years and we don't waste Fyfe and Walters prime years.

Honestly if Fyfe asked for a trade I would let him go and be thankful for everything he has done. We appear to have cooked this rebuild.

Fingers crossed I'm wrong.

Hard to argue.

It appears we are looking at 3 to 6 years time for a flag.

It is pity fyfe and co will be on the slude by then.

Blakely + 5 for Kelly?

better if we could get pick 56 as well.

Edit: should have said 6 + Blakely, trade our first and keep the saints (Hill).

at present it is rumoured Geelong would accept WCE first three picks so.14, 22,32 (equiv to about pick 2 as a guide)

6 and Blakely for Kelly puts Blakely at about pick 25. Third from Geelong 52-52 would be pretty close = Blakely at about 18...possibly Geelong's first pick

Our spine is sorted for the next 5-7 years as long as our medical department can get themselves together.
Agree on medical. The frustrating thing is we have key forwards on our list now but could hardly field more of them then back in the days when we only had Pav.

It appears we are looking at 3 to 6 years time for a flag.
Like 3 or 4 years ago. Somehow don't like those list rebuilt masterplans. List change a lot over 3 years. Hard to plan beyond a year or two. Now we got key personal but no midfeld depth. Darcy, Brawshaw, Cerry, Blakeley really need to step up to make our midfield a force again (and get the non merch Hill back on field).

The injuries he's had the past 2 years certainly haven't helped.

And on what criteria are we assessing his development? Everyone seems to be knocking him as a midfielder when he's barely had the chance to show what he can do in the midfield.

Attacking players for their disposal seems a favourite past time of posters on here, Langon can't kick, B Hill coughs it up, Kelly butchers it, Gus does too, so does Acres, and of course now that some rumours suggest Blakely is out the door he can't use it either. It's a favourite catch cry used on this board to validate any criticism anyone makes of a player and no one ever questions it. Fyfe isn't the best kick ever yet no one disputes how good he is. Blakely is no Fyfe but its obvious that not all players are elite kicks and it's certainly a criticism that needs to be scrutinised more heavily as players can obviously have large impacts in other ways.

The longest stint I've seen Blakely play in the middle was in the first quarter against port, he won us some clearances and got the ball moving forward. It may have been scrappy, he wasn't hitting blokes lace out like a Mundy would but he was competitive and complimented our other mids well.

I'm not saying that Blakely is the perfect player or that he doesn't have his flaws, can always be better. This board has done a complete 180 on him since the rumours came out, criticising him may make you feel a little bit better if he leaves but it doesn't change the fact it would be disastrous to trade him. Particularly, if we're out there shopping him around we're going to get shafted at the trade table.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kelly wants to go eagles so let him we don't want players that don't want to really be here or come for money we will get no where need to go to draft stuff trade period get some good kids midfielder a ruck and a good fast winger re arrange midfield cerra Brayshaw Fyfe tucker Mundy and I'd even give some games to hughs in there as a big body and just let them learn and gain confidence in there we will be ok

We are cooked for 2020 in my eyes. No B.Hill, no Langdon and a new coach. Our spine is sorted for the next 5-7 years as long as our medical department can get themselves together.

Our midfield is OK with Fyfe, S.Hill, M
Walters, Brayshaw, Conca, Tucker and Cerra but we are desperately thin on midfield talent.

Backline is rock solid (Ryan, Hamling, Pearce, Wilson, Hughes) but we need to get someone like a Stephenson / De Goey / Caddy to be that lethal goalkicker.

If we can get our full team on the park then I am less pessimistic about 2020 but it is so hard being a supporter sometimes. I have zero faith in keeping a fit 22 on the park.

The new coach is on a hiding to nothing unless some revised expecations are put out for supporters. If we go into 2020 expecting finals we are in for a bad time.

Hit the draft hard, hope we are ready forna flag tilt within 3 years and we don't waste Fyfe and Walters prime years.

Honestly if Fyfe asked for a trade I would let him go and be thankful for everything he has done. We appear to have cooked this rebuild.

Fingers crossed I'm wrong.

I’m not sure how we’ve botched the rebuild yet. It’s only really started. Collingwood have arguably had the best rebuild of any club and they were done in 2013 and managed to be a force again in 2018. Geelong last won a flag in 2011 and are contenders again in 2019.

What we really botched was list management from about 2012 onwards. Keeping players who were well past their best on the list until they were absolutely useless has been our real problem and something Lyon did at the Saints as well.

Or its actually true
It could be true, but the only ones hanging him are on here. You can’t open any thread on here without reading this s**t.

It’s the same crowd who called for blood with Lyon. It’s the same people who write off Freo week in and week out.

It’s actually a very toxic environment that you can’t get away from.

Not sure why some people don’t just form a knitting circle of gossip mongers.

Should Blakely top himself? Would that bring joy?

Blakely will likely be a very fine player, development is never linear and he's got a real competitive edge. The biggest concern is his injury proneness. Sure his disposal has been bodgy, but that could easily tidy up as the game slows down for him with more experience.

Bell needs to take charge and clean this up without losing another player. A slash and burn policy with personnel is a bit lazy. If there is truth to the rumours it's better for the players to grow up a bit and deal with it like professionals.

Likewise if losing Blakely lead to the very unlikely event of keeping Langdon that'd be more acceptable but not ideal either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back