Status
Not open for further replies.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Your suggestion of a mid to late 2nd would probably be fair. Richmond are under some CAP pressure as can be evidenced by Ellis waying up his options as a RFA. Doubt we'd be in a position to take on Blakely's salary, more likely take picks to the draft. Are a bit light for inside mids though. By the way I think the suggestion of Roberton from the Lions would be a good get.
I think Robertson will be relatively cheap (similar price to Colyer - future fourth round) being out of contract.

With regards to McIntosh I’d suggest if Blakely was to leave he would be a good replacement. I feel they are similar trade value. You say mid 2nd and we will say early third and middle ground is about right late 2nd - which is same range as Blakely (if in fact the rumours of a trade for him are remotely true). I feel this is a tipping point and we need to trade him for a another top 22 player. Wing is a need for us. A draft pick is preferred by Richmond. Otherwise Blake Acres at St Kilda would be another reasonable swap. Again St Kilda May prefer the draft pick with them already having many fingers in other pies.

Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hornets, Mariners, Falcons
I think Robertson will be relatively cheap (similar price to Colyer - future fourth round) being out of contract.

With regards to McIntosh I’d suggest if Blakely was to leave he would be a good replacement. I feel they are similar trade value. You say mid 2nd and we will say early third and middle ground is about right late 2nd - which is same range as Blakely (if in fact the rumours of a trade for him are remotely true). I feel this is a tipping point and we need to trade him for a another top 22 player. Wing is a need for us. A draft pick is preferred by Richmond. Otherwise Blake Acres at St Kilda would be another reasonable swap. Again St Kilda May prefer the draft pick with them already having many fingers in other pies.

Robertson's more of a third for the pure fact he's usually the 23rd man, compared to Colyer who wouldn't have played a game for Essendon this year

Puregold

All Australian
Jul 29, 2009
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle
Like Suban and DPearce.

I don't think it's that big an issue if he can only kick it 40m. I'm more concerned with our wingers being able to kick to our players advantage so we can retain the ball.
I know that this doesn't belong here. But one of my highlights of the season was a kick to advantage. Did anyone else like the kick to advantage from Hugh dixon in the last game of the season. Switch the ball from halfback into the centre of the ground to a player running full tilt. Didn't have to break stride to take the mark and could play on without pressure. It was so pleasing to see a big man with skills like that. Hopeful it is not a one off

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
I know that this doesn't belong here. But one of my highlights of the season was a kick to advantage. Did anyone else like the kick to advantage from Hugh dixon in the last game of the season. Switch the ball from halfback into the centre of the ground to a player running full tilt. Didn't have to break stride to take the mark and could play on without pressure. It was so pleasing to see a big man with skills like that. Hopeful it is not a one off

That with McCarthy's kick to Taberner amongst three Bulldogs....

Watching Tim Kelly in the final against West Coast, I thought he played more like an outside mid. He didn't get his own ball, and was reluctant to contest a possession. I thought he seemed a bit soft. And what's up with all that spitting... It was excessive. He must have an overactive salivary gland. Haha.

Narkle was excellent. I'd like Freo to grab him if available.

They rate Narkle, doubt we’d shake him free.

The Brad Hill thread (draft board) threatens to rival the Hogan thread with stupidity.

Dirty_banchez

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
z4XPS2J.jpg

Why would we be keen? Not exactly a position of need and he will cost way more than he is actually worth.
I agree. If we are going to play a defender in a run off, create, find as much space as possible and get fed the ball with sideways kicks then Luke Ryan can do that better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bender571

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 26, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don’t see anybody on our list at the moment that can play 22 games and is suited to a wing.

Tucker is ok and better suited to inside role.

S Hill is suited but can he play 22 games?

Giro looks ok but can he overlook his knee injury and have the same quickness?

Walters to a wing, is robbing Peter to pay Paul. Could work.

Hughes and Duiman possibilities but not inspirational selections.

Banfield would suited to an inside role.

McCarthy doesn’t have the tank or gut running attitude.

I'd throw Crowden into the mix. His nuggetyness might seem him type cast as more inside, but I think he has the tools to play outside as well.

He's quick - 2.92 for 20m. 1st at the state combine, would've been 6th for the national combine

He's got decent tank - Yo-yo 21.3 4th a state, just outside the top 10 of the nationals 21.5

He's got a long flat kick that can get out the back.

In the SANFL colts and reserves he seemed to know where to run to link up, with almost half his disposals coming from handball receives.

Since I was already looking up his combine results;
Agility 8.26 5th at state 7th at nationals
Standing jump 81cm, 1st at state, 3rd at nationals.
Running jump 91cm 2nd at state, 5th at nationals.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'd throw Crowden into the mix. His nuggetyness might seem him type cast as more inside, but I think he has the tools to play outside as well.

He's quick - 2.92 for 20m. 1st at the state combine, would've been 6th for the national combine

He's got decent tank - Yo-yo 21.3 4th a state, just outside the top 10 of the nationals 21.5

He's got a long flat kick that can get out the back.

In the SANFL colts and reserves he seemed to know where to run to link up, with almost half his disposals coming from handball receives.

Since I was already looking up his combine results;
Agility 8.26 5th at state 7th at nationals
Standing jump 81cm, 1st at state, 3rd at nationals.
Running jump 91cm 2nd at state, 5th at nationals.
Gets caught holding the ball too much.

Yes, he is quick but not quick thinking.

CapitalA

Club Legend
Nov 18, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
I know we never trade with the scum. but.....

If we get pick 5 and 6. Maybe we could trade 6 to West Coast for 13 and 22.

They get to pick up Robertson (Glass' nephew) and we end up with plenty of picks for the WA boys plus a top pick for top talent.

5, 13, 20*, 22, 24

* Pick for Langdon
Gross. How about we let them trade out of the draft for Kelly and pick up all the good wa talent ourselves.

We need to build a strong list for the future not go back to our past list management model of selling out of the draft for a quick fix for next year.

I know this is not what you are saying but I think that would benefit the eagles more than us. We get more picks but robertson is probably the best wa product why give him to the eagles.

Based on current ratings pick 13 is exactly the sort of pick we would want to avoid given Henry is rated roughly 10-15.
Especially as it might be pushed back a couple with Greene bid and GC PP.

Given historic trends I do think we'd be unlucky for Henry to be bid on top 12-15 but how much do we want to risk it...

Sep 24, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I would like to work a draft day trade with Port.

Trading down 6(7) to ports 9(10) but not sure what they could offer maybe their second and out 2020 third back.

Port will want to go up the draft to get one of the SA lads.

I’d rather go for the WA kids.

Purpellian Anchor

Purple Admiralty
Oct 14, 2011
Northam
AFL Club
Fremantle
Based on current ratings pick 13 is exactly the sort of pick we would want to avoid given Henry is rated roughly 10-15.

I do get the sense though in here that we are making our decisions re draft picks around the Henry pick and countering a bid.
Don't think we need to get to concerned about that.

That said...if the strategy by the recruiters will be to keep the two early picks but also have several picks early 2nd (Henry bid would chew up several if bid on say between 8-14). We would likely only get three picks.

But I really think we need a pick at around 14-15 in our armoury as well as two picks in the twenties.

the key to the puzzle is how do we get 15? I'm thinking 2020 1st for say 15 and 2020 2nd or 3rd

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Gets caught holding the ball too much.

Yes, he is quick but not quick thinking.
It'll be interesting to see how his decision making develops. I always like a player who goes flat chat and he seems a willing learner, always a keen listener of senior players advice at training from what I've seen. He's probably a ways off from best 22, but could be on the cusp of best 26 or so across next year if he comes on a bit.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Let WC sort out their own dirty work.

I agree that it is best to play safe and avoid the 11-19 range. Keep the top 10 picks and have ourselves some good second round picks. People need to review the way they see the potential pick 21 trade for Langdon. This with discount will effectively be brought forward to match a bid around 13-15. So best to view the Langdon trade on those terms. Pick 21 with 20% loading equates to pick 16.

West Coast will likely trade with Gold Coast.
14 > 22, 31 (maybe a later pick coming back for WC).

Gold Coast don’t have second round picks (their next pick is 54 in a not so deep draft) and will likely get pick 2 (ie PP 1) so the 14 being split makes a lot of sense for them.

West Coast then trade 13 and 14 for Kelly (which will be 14 and 15 after GC PP). Geelong then have the option of combining for those picks to move up the draft (ie with Melbourne or Adelaide).

Best outcome for Freo is GC are awarded PP 11 instead of PP 1. That way our picks 6 (and likely 5) will be unaffected. Two clubs in particular Melbourne and Adelaide have been heavily opposed to PP 1 and the general media consensus is to avoid altering the top 10.

I think the AFL will give everyone the bird except GC and award PP 1.

Purpellian Anchor

Purple Admiralty
Oct 14, 2011
Northam
AFL Club
Fremantle
Especially as it might be pushed back a couple with Greene bid and GC PP.

Given historic trends I do think we'd be unlucky for Henry to be bid on top 12-15 but how much do we want to risk it...

Interesting GWS Adrian Caruso finding it hard to peg where Green will go. Says he has the body, smarts and talent but not the tank yet to play senior Afl midfield.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I do get the sense though in here that we are making our decisions re draft picks around the Henry pick and countering a bid.
Don't think we need to get to concerned about that.

That said...if the strategy by the recruiters will be to keep the two early picks but also have several picks early 2nd (Henry bid would chew up several if bid on say between 8-14). We would likely only get three picks.

But I really think we need a pick at around 14-15 in our armoury as well as two picks in the twenties.

the key to the puzzle is how do we get 15? I'm thinking 2020 1st for say 15 and 2020 2nd or 3rd
The whole point is we absolutely do need to get concerned. Pick 15 has a very high probability of being used on matching Henry. You don't get value matching bids by using picks near the bid, you get value by using later picks and enjoying the full 20% discount.

We also don't magically get more picks if we just ignore the Henry bid being matched. We will in fact likely get more total picks if we avoid having selections in the teens.

There is also absolutely no way I would trade our 2020 first for pick 15 + change even without considering the fact that it would most likely get chewed in a bid. We are much better off trying to trade in before pick 10 if we want more first round selections this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back