Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s not about dropping anyone, it’s about opportunity whilst in the team. He played 7 games this year & was given very little opportunity in the middle to win his own ball.
Are we not ‘rebuilding’? If so then play him as part of the midfield rotation & see if he is of any value moving forward.
If you play him in the midfield then someone isn't there. Reality is Banfield had a disappointing year at every level. When that happens you don't get a go in the midfield.

Robertson as in captain of WA? He will play round one, where else he plays on a the field is the question.

If we draft Deven Robertson with our first pick (which I think is HIGHLY likely) then we will play him as wing / flanker at AFL level round one barring injury. He has the endurance and speed to do it, and chances are we will be down a winger anyway. We won't have him learning in the WAFL.

Just say if we trade for Kelly, we’d miss out on Henry, our first pick id look at the likes of, Stephens/Ash/Kemp (has the bung knee) but the kid could be the next Fyfe or even poor mans Martin, and you’d save hundreds of thousands on contract so you could even look at the likes of Narkle/Robertson/Acres etc

You lucked out with Henry. Would he go in the first 5-6 though?

Watched the last quarter of the GF just then. Not much to go on as the game wasn't on the line but it looks likes the standard has come off a bit. Suban was about the only player out there displaying AFL attributes! Sokol hmmmm. Effective at that level but he didn't seem super quick or agile. If he's not a small forward at AFL level then what is he? Left right out I reckon. Unless he tests well no chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched the last quarter of the GF just then. Not much to go on as the game wasn't on the line but it looks likes the standard has come off a bit. Suban was about the only player out there displaying AFL attributes! Sokol hmmmm. Effective at that level but he didn't seem super quick or agile. If he's not a small forward at AFL level then what is he? Left right out I reckon. Unless he tests well no chance.
He’s played as a medium fwd. Not an agile small forward.

In 2013 he won the WA state combine beep test so has a good tank:

He deserves to be given a shot. Takes a great mark, has excellent leading patterns and fills a need as a med fwd. I guess we can keep turning back to Schultz or play Banfield in that role. I know who I’d prefer to be given a shot. A late ND pick, rookie or even better still get him not to nominate for the Drafts and pick him in the Dec-Mar SSP.

I'm a fan of Partington and would gladly have him as a rookie. He might not be best 22, but he'd be the best midfielder at Peel. And a competitive Peel side is the best way for the young players to develop.

I'm a fan of Partington and would gladly have him as a rookie. He might not be best 22, but he'd be the best midfielder at Peel. And a competitive Peel side is the best way for the young players to develop.
Like he was the best for East Perth one year when he spent 3 years on the Eagles list for only 3 games?:rolleyes:

We would be mad not to pick Sokol in the draft,he's a sure goal kicker and has a real solid body. What ,we going to wait around for an eastern states club grab him like they have with Kelly and Pickett, There's a strong chance Marlion will play for Richmond this week in the grand final. I don't think Sokol has ever failed in the WAFL ,playing to a consistent high standard and very regular goal kicker. He can really kick long and accurately. Can he be any worse than McCarthy,he would be excellent backup.

If you play him in the midfield then someone isn't there. Reality is Banfield had a disappointing year at every level. When that happens you don't get a go in the midfield.
I’m not going to argue over the past, but that’s a pretty flippant comment in regards to his year. His WAFL numbers are consistent & polling 15 Sandover votes from 11 games in the 3-2-1 system suggests he was better than most.

Ross Lyons reliance on his considered better players is part of the reason he’s not there. Mundy & Walters & to a lesser extent Fyfe fell away at the end of the season because they were rooted.

The lack of rotations in an apparent rebuild was pathetic. They recruited him on his WAFL performances as an inside mid, then to play him this season as the high defensive half forward? It was enough for Crosier to get out.

As per my original post, his season reminded me a lot of Matt Deboers final year at Freo & given the opportunity at GWS he has flourished.

No really Scham, Subi just poach and outbid returning WA boys that have been delisted from other clubs, whilst also raiding VFL talent.
They have the ‘ability’ to do it with their financial situation.
😉

Pretty sure quite a few today were came through their colts and junior program. They work it hard from what I’ve heard and won the colts flag last year.

Rhodes couldn’t get a game at West Perth so left. So too Baker before him. Subi didn’t poach them. There would be others, I just know about these guys because they come from my club.

Plenty of the Souths players were exAFL. It works both ways.

I think everyone just hates them because they’ve dominated for a while and are well off financially but plenty of players want to go there because they’re successful and give good opportunities.

As others have pointed out, they were also on the bones of their arse years ago and turned it around. Other clubs, especially mine, need to do that too and stop making excuses.

Pretty sure quite a few today were came through their colts and junior program. They work it hard from what I’ve heard and won the colts flag last year.

Rhodes couldn’t get a game at West Perth so left. So too Baker before him. Subi didn’t poach them. There would be others, I just know about these guys because they come from my club.

Plenty of the Souths players were exAFL. It works both ways.

I think everyone just hates them because they’ve dominated for a while and are well off financially but plenty of players want to go there because they’re successful and give good opportunities.

As others have pointed out, they were also on the bones of their arse years ago and turned it around. Other clubs, especially mine, need to do that too and stop making excuses.

Agreed to an extent, Subi just seem to be able to top up and get really good players.
Sokol was stunted in development at Souths and moved there, but in his case it’s more of method with the skill execution that hits him up and gives him the opportunity that makes him stand out more this year and last than previously.
The WAFL junior/development zones and development of those zones is a stark reminder of consistency over the past 15 -20 years. Subi, Claremont and more recently Peel do have exceptional junior/colts development.

where would Sokol go? can we use our last pick on him or will he likely bolt? i seem to remember liam ryan going in the 20's which is a similar situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back