Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's something different and I almost wouldnt be against it.

They wont do that though. The combo of Rowell/Anderson is worth a lot and they dont need more picks since their concessions are bonkers
Well, if they’re actually after success, they need established players and 6 & 7 could be used to bring two established guns in rather than 1 😁

TK is not contracted, whoever gets him will not be paying overs.

Hill is contracted, we should get what he's worth.

Well, if they’re actually after success, they need established players and 6 & 7 could be used to bring two established guns in rather than 1 😁

That's the way I'm seeing it. Our list needs high end talent/depth and bringing in two top ten draft picks and Henry (while also losing Hill and Langdon) makes way more sense than using those picks on Kelly from not only a list balance situation but also with looking to the future of the team.

Are we not also after success?

Why would we opt to bring in one player over two? How's swapping pick 6 and 7 for pick 1 any different to using pick 6 and 7 on Kelly? You'll get way more initially from Kelly than you will Rowell. Don't fall into the trap of all the grandeur associated with pick 1. Pick 6 and 7 offers far more opportunity than pick 1.

We need to use those picks on 2 guns, not one. Not to mention, it would be nice to grab some kids from WA

Why would we opt to bring in one player over two? How's swapping pick 6 and 7 for pick 1 any different to using pick 6 and 7 on Kelly? You'll get way more initially from Kelly than you will Rowell. Don't fall into the trap of all the grandeur associated with pick 1. Pick 6 and 7 offers far more opportunity than pick 1.

We need to use those picks on 2 guns, not one. Not to mention, it would be nice to grab some kids from WA
I'd want to split 1 of those high pick for a couple in the teens. The WA boys don't seem to be rated in that top 10 range and i can't remember a time fremantle have reached for a WA player in the first round. We only ever seem to pick them if they fall in the range.

Point being we could get value with a downgrade as WA players never seem to be rated as highly. See Naughton or English as an example.

I'd want to split 1 of those high pick for a couple in the teens. The WA boys don't seem to be rated in that top 10 range and i can't remember a time fremantle have reached for a WA player in the first round. We only ever seem to pick them if they fall in the range.
If you do that, one of them gets eaten by a Henry bid so its a bit redundant

We are better off getting as many top 12 picks as we can

Have you seen Rowell play? He’s Sam Walsh like. Would have an immediate impact and fit in well with our other gun young Mids setting us up for a looooong term of success in the middle.

I would bet the farm West Coast convinced Gaff to stay one more year (probably a pot sweetener under the table too) for exactly this reason.

West Coast's window is next year and the year after. It is likely to slam shut after that when Gaff leaves, JK retires, Shuey slows down and the effects of bypassing the draft this and next year start to be felt.

That being said if you've got a chance for a flag, do you go all in for the shot or do you build for a prolonged tilt?

Have you seen Rowell play? He’s Sam Walsh like. Would have an immediate impact and fit in well with our other gun young Mids setting us up for a looooong term of success in the middle.
For mine there's just too much risk in putting your hopes in one player when you can get two. We're only set for long term success in that scenario if he stays at the club. Yeah we'd probably get good value at the trade table but no point in exploring every hypothetical

I know the WA boys may not be rated in the top 10 but those ratings will chop and change as we go into the draft. I see belly as the kind of bloke who'd take the best available at 6 and maybe jump on a Stephens type at 7.

West Coast's window is next year and the year after. It is likely to slam shut after that when Gaff leaves, JK retires, Shuey slows down and the effects of bypassing the draft this and next year start to be felt.

That being said if you've got a chance for a flag, do you go all in for the shot or do you build for a prolonged tilt?

Fremantle 2013 - we went all in, and went to s**t after

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming:
- we get 6 and 22 for Hill and Langdon
- we rate Henry as likely to go in the teens

I would be going all out to get another top 12 pick. You would end up with four 1st rounders from one draft. That might not pay dividends straight away but with a few short years it could be a very strong group coming through.

What do you think it would take to get another pick from #8 (North) to #12 (GWS)?

For mine there's just too much risk in putting your hopes in one player when you can get two. We're only set for long term success in that scenario if he stays at the club. Yeah we'd probably get good value at the trade table but no point in exploring every hypothetical

I know the WA boys may not be rated in the top 10 but those ratings will chop and change as we go into the draft. I see belly as the kind of bloke who'd take the best available at 6 and maybe jump on a Stephens type at 7.
yep. also worth as a reminder that these were the picks used to get the front runners for the brownlow this year:

20 Fyfe
10 Danger
13 Cripps (the good one)
58 Neale
24 Kelly
18 Grundy
3 Martin
4 Bont
6 Maccrae

and for the Coleman
? J Cameron ?GWS
47 Brown
11 Lynch
26 Darling
rookie C Cameron
F/S Hawkins
46 Membrey

i.e. I'd rather have two picks and have a good think about who I want and how hard and costly it will be to keep them, than just try and get No. 1 when it is no guarantee of a top mid or forward anyway. Interestingly, the vic brownlow placegetters above were drafted higher than the WA/SA stars (sound familiar? I certainly don't take the Vic media ratings as fact as to a player's later worth, particularly if they are from WA or SA)

Assuming:
- we get 6 and 22 for Hill and Langdon
- we rate Henry as likely to go in the teens

I would be going all out to get another top 12 pick. You would end up with four 1st rounders from one draft. That might not pay dividends straight away but with a few short years it could be a very strong group coming through.

What do you think it would take to get another pick from #8 (North) to #12 (GWS)?
Answering my own post (must be a loser) but I would trade up to 3 2nd rounders to get, say, #8 off North (both our 2019 2nd rounders and our 2020 2nd as well)

Only need one of McIntosh or Robertson which will add more grunt, likewise with Acres or Wood for an extra midfielder.

SPP is hard at it and handy..but his off field behaviour won’t help us mas we embark on the new era.

I personally think menagola doesn’t have much left in the tank for some reason. He’s slowing down and disposal isn’t too flash. Conca would be ahead of him imo.

If Kelly nominates a WA club we go all guns blazing. If he chooses WCE we let it go.
Trade Radio reporting that we're talking to Connor Menadue I think? Might have misheard.
Get him for cheap ie 5th round pick or a pick swap and plays on a wing, yes please.

Wish we could get both McIntosh and Menadue to fill the wings.

Then draft Stephens and allow him time to develop.

yep. also worth as a reminder that these were the picks used to get the front runners for the brownlow this year:

20 Fyfe
10 Danger
13 Cripps (the good one)
58 Neale
24 Kelly
18 Grundy
3 Martin
4 Bont
6 Maccrae

and for the Coleman
? J Cameron ?GWS
47 Brown
11 Lynch
26 Darling
rookie C Cameron
F/S Hawkins
46 Membrey

i.e. I'd rather have two picks and have a good think about who I want and how hard and costly it will be to keep them, than just try and get No. 1 when it is no guarantee of a top mid or forward anyway. Interestingly, the vic brownlow placegetters above were drafted higher than the WA/SA stars (sound familiar? I certainly don't take the Vic media ratings as fact as to a player's later worth, particularly if they are from WA or SA)
Higher picks have a better chance in being AA and getting Brownlow votes.

Most the studs at pick 1 have been key position ie Patton, Boyd, Mccartin.

I am really worried now that unless something comes up that no one has mentioned we are desperate to me mediocre 6-12 finish team for the rest of Walters and Fyfes primes and just waste their careers like poor Pav. If we get 2-4 first round picks that’s all well and good but it’s gonna be at least 3 years before those guys come on fully, look at how long it has taken Tucker just to become a semi consistent AFL player. Brayshaw and Cerra both need more time, Brayshaw looks closer of the 2 but even he is still a season or so away from really being a game changer. Our high picks from last year haven’t gotten any AFL Experience this year and the most exciting debut this year was Dixon who probably won’t get a game because we have a lot at his position and for some reason are looking at Mason Wood.

I’m concerned

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I am really worried now that unless something comes up that no one has mentioned we are desperate to me mediocre 6-12 finish team for the rest of Walters and Fyfes primes and just waste their careers like poor Pav. If we get 2-4 first round picks that’s all well and good but it’s gonna be at least 3 years before those guys come on fully, look at how long it has taken Tucker just to become a semi consistent AFL player. Brayshaw and Cerra both need more time, Brayshaw looks closer of the 2 but even he is still a season or so away from really being a game changer. Our high picks from last year haven’t gotten any AFL Experience this year and the most exciting debut this year was Dixon who probably won’t get a game because we have a lot at his position and for some reason are looking at Mason Wood.

I’m concerned

I meant destined not desperate *

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back