Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with Bewley and Tucker. Giro possibly. Don’t forget Stephen Hill.

It’s not great to possibly lose 2 elite runners. But there’s always options.

What happened to all the moaning of halting Cerra's development at halfback? (Not accusing you of moaning btw). And we've seen just about everyone in the AFL criticise the demons for putting Gus on the wing. Andy needs to play inside, in his natural role. Not a fan of putting Andy on the wing regularly, maybe as a short rotation through there at most
The wing is a part of the midfield. In fact your wingers have a huge tactical role to play every stoppage.
Yes Brayshaw has a tough inside game, but he would be better at playing that "defensive side of the stoppage" winger role than Tucker.
Tucker can sit truly outside in the "fat side" winger role whose job it is to guard the spread outside of the zone at the stoppage

The wing is a part of the midfield. In fact your wingers have a huge tactical role to play every stoppage.
Yes Brayshaw has a tough inside game, but he would be better at playing that "defensive side of the stoppage" winger role than Tucker.
Tucker can sit truly outside in the "fat side" winger role whose job it is to guard the spread outside of the zone at the stoppage
Yeah that's all well and good but we have no idea how Jlo is going to set up at stoppages.

Happy for him to rotate through there but it's not a long term solution (I know you never suggested it was). In an ideal world, S Hill will get fit, crossing my fingers and toes

I know it’s very popular to call players spuds and list cloggers, and ever so important to be the first poster to rip into a player.
I also know Colyer had a disappointing year overall. But early in the year, I remember he did some good things. He was important in the Canberra game, for example.
Enough to work with for next year, at least. And if he ends up being depth, and one of the kids makes the wing his own; fine.

We all thought Brandon Matera would be delisted this time last year.

I made the “What does Brandon Matera add to the team” thread and I still didn’t think he’d be delisted this year. He was contracted.

As a Freo fan I’m quite happy my thread went the way it did. He had a very good year - especially when our talls were on the park.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't like Tucker as a winger - I don't think it plays to his strengths - he works the inside with Fyfe as well as almost anyone else in the side (I'm talking Mundy of course) - accountable but also provides an outlet for Fyfe, decent kick i50 and can kick goals from outside 50. He was good this year, can see him being even better next.

I think Bewley will be a lot better next year. The guy can kick (remember some of his kicks in his debut or was it his 2nd game?), he just needs to settle in to Freo and AFL. Playing wing is one of the hardest positions imo. You've got to not only run and run and run but you've also got to understand your mids (so you can get into positions to receive the ball from them and create space to run into) plus understand your opposition so you don't get smashed the other way. It takes time - Bewley has the attributes, he just needs time to get used to it all with a new team.

I also think Colyer could provide a stop gap. He was incredibly underwhelming this year but I'd give him a shot on a wing now that a position has opened up. As others have mentioned we were talking about Matera the same way 12 months ago and look how he turned things around. Last chance saloon often does that.

SHill is the obvious one to return back to the wing. Please let him get fit and get through a full season! His kicking i50 would be worth 2+ goals a game imo. Imagine if all those times Langdon kicked i50 this year it was SHill instead? Reckon we'd be playing finals. Ffs it is annoying we'll never see a fully fit Stephen on one wing with his brother on the other playing for us.

Brayshaw/Conca rotating through or as a run with against good wingers. Up until gagf gets annoyed they've been quite effective out on a wing. Will not be upset if we trade in more outside run as well (so long as it doesn't screw up our draft hand).

I don't like Tucker as a winger - I don't think it plays to his strengths - he works the inside with Fyfe as well as almost anyone else in the side (I'm talking Mundy of course) - accountable but also provides an outlet for Fyfe, decent kick i50 and can kick goals from outside 50. He was good this year, can see him being even better next.

I think Bewley will be a lot better next year. The guy can kick (remember some of his kicks in his debut or was it his 2nd game?), he just needs to settle in to Freo and AFL. Playing wing is one of the hardest positions imo. You've got to not only run and run and run but you've also got to understand your mids (so you can get into positions to receive the ball from them and create space to run into) plus understand your opposition so you don't get smashed the other way. It takes time - Bewley has the attributes, he just needs time to get used to it all with a new team.

I also think Colyer could provide a stop gap. He was incredibly underwhelming this year but I'd give him a shot on a wing now that a position has opened up. As others have mentioned we were talking about Matera the same way 12 months ago and look how he turned things around. Last chance saloon often does that.

SHill is the obvious one to return back to the wing. Please let him get fit and get through a full season! His kicking i50 would be worth 2+ goals a game imo. Imagine if all those times Langdon kicked i50 this year it was SHill instead? Reckon we'd be playing finals. Ffs it is annoying we'll never see a fully fit Stephen on one wing with his brother on the other playing for us.

Brayshaw/Conca rotating through or as a run with against good wingers. Up until gagf gets annoyed they've been quite effective out on a wing. Will not be upset if we trade in more outside run as well (so long as it doesn't screw up our draft hand).

Colyer is best suited to a wing and will now be able to play in his preferred position

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Bewley is one who may surprise - he would have had very little time actually playing wing this year with Ed and Brad in the side

Smart recruiting in hindsight. The club knew brad was on the way out if you listen to Neroli.

Sick of hearing about Colyer being a list clogger. He is depth and depth is what we lack.

Colyer could very well be this years Matera

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

3 year deal, 1 too many for my liking.

I’d trade:

Langdon and pick 7 for pick 3 and next year’s 2nd rounder....

Anyone with me?

I am.....I’m guessing Melbourne won’t be.

I’d trade:

Langdon and pick 7 for pick 3 and next year’s 2nd rounder....

Anyone with me?
And then GWS comes knocking wanting pick 3 (to get ahead of Green) and asks how many 1st round picks they need to give you for them to have it. You respond saying you need 8 and they ponder for a moment before declaring it is fair. Their list manager checks the loose change in his pocket and pays all 8 picks on the spot.

If only Melbourne would come to the party.

It is bloody dire when we are talking about Colyer and Bewley to be our wing options next year.

Colyer is a straight up spud, a couple of good touches over 10 games does not change that. There's being played out of position and then there's not being AFL standard in a good team. Bewley probably too early to tell but things don't look great.

I think Tucker will play a bit there purely because there's no one else really suited, he has a good combination of tank and footskills. Someone like Acres or a McIntosh were we to get them might be an ok stopgap. If you wanted to go really left-field try Duman, although I think the chances of that actually coming off are not amazing. Really we need to A) draft one or two outside mids and B) pray for S.Hill

Under a new coach and a new system I'm willing to give every single player on our list who is supposedly a "spud" another chance. Colyer, Cox and all those boys this board loves to bag on (me included) all get fresh slates next year. Forget all the mistakes they've made, it's a fresh start, none of their pasts matter anymore. It's all about the future. Every player deserves a chance.

At Peel (in 2017) I much preferred Duman on a wing than in defence personally. He was good there in the GF (kicked a very important goal) ;)

None of the options for the wing are inspiring but neither were any of the options replacing Neale last year either and we went from bottom 4 for contested possessions to top 2. Football teams can clearly adapt to cover for lost talents (like us winning games when Fyfe was out). The difference between any of the players on our list and the fringe players who got premiership medals last weekend really isn't anywhere near as far as many would have you believe. Someone will step up, I'd almost guarantee it. Who though I have no f'in idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back