0.5​

Tackles Inside 50​

AFL Fantasy Score​

50.6​

49.1​

Supercoach Score​

May as well add some stats to the argument

Last edited:
Switta may run and chase better than Ballas (honestly I can't tell on TV) but 100% Ballas does everything else better from what I have seen.

Just to be clear. My position was and still is that Ballas is a better footballer now than Switta or Schulzt are. They would have to do something significant at AFL level to change that (or Ballas to play and show further signs of regression).

That doesn't mean I think that Ballas should stay on the list in favour of either of them or be given games ahead of them this year. Pretty sure you could find posts from last year where I said Ballas should be retired to give the opportunities to others.
I agree. Ballas is comparatively okay to Schultz and Switter. Expect for age. But it it what we have atm. Would be a luxury to clone Ballas and Walters. Our small forwards stock isn’t ideal. Very limited if anything. Richmond, West Coast, Bulldogs- the last 3 premiers, has an abundance of them. Ballas was a huge component of the inside 50 pressure alongside Mayne. The three teams just expanded on that and made it more attacking.
Apart from Switter, we have no pressure acts inside 50. Matera is a bit slow and more of a traditional small forwards kicking goals.
Schulz gets a lot of the ball but lack the goal kicking nous. If Ballas were late 20s, then he ll stay. But his best has peaked unfortunately. The problem is once Ballas retires, we need small forwards. Unless there’s someone playing exceptionally well in the state leagues, we’re going to struggle in that area for a few years unless we draft someone.

I agree. Ballas is comparatively okay to Schultz and Switter. Expect for age. But it it what we have atm. Would be a luxury to clone Ballas and Walters. Our small forwards stock isn’t ideal. Very limited if anything. Richmond, West Coast, Bulldogs- the last 3 premiers, has an abundance of them. Ballas was a huge component of the inside 50 pressure alongside Mayne. The three teams just expanded on that and made it more attacking.
Apart from Switter, we have no pressure acts inside 50. Matera is a bit slow and more of a traditional small forwards kicking goals.
Schulz gets a lot of the ball but lack the goal kicking nous. If Ballas were late 20s, then he ll stay. But his best has peaked unfortunately. The problem is once Ballas retires, we need small forwards. Unless there’s someone playing exceptionally well in the state leagues, we’re going to struggle in that area for a few years unless we draft someone.
I get the feeling we will draft or trade for them again this year. At the very least, Henry looks as if he will start in the forward line.

Next year we add Henry to the list, and I would like to see the club prioritize getting him and Sturt to the magic 50 games experience mark, just as they seem to be with Brayshaw and Cerra. Most of that will come through games in the forward line at the start of their careers. That means not much room for Ballantyne, especially if he isn't happy to play at Peel.

Next year we add Henry to the list, and I would like to see the club prioritize getting him and Sturt to the magic 50 games experience mark, just as they seem to be with Brayshaw and Cerra. Most of that will come through games in the forward line at the start of their careers. That means not much room for Ballantyne, especially if he isn't happy to play at Peel.
I agree. Also think Sturt will make it hard not to pick him once he gets a run at it. Especially after another preseason.

I am not sure of the reasons because you can't accurately gauge that stuff on TV but I'll tell you now, he will have to find more of the ball and kick more goals over time else he won't make it.

Happy to give him a go and I don't even mind if it is ahead of Ballas, but I have seen nothing from him that suggests he is a better footballer than Ballas. There is a distinction there.

he will have to find more of the ball and kick more goals over time else he won't make it.

That goes without saying. To be honest, there wouldn't be many (if any) forwards who have played 10 games of AFL who don't fit into that basket.

but I have seen nothing from him that suggests he is a better footballer than Ballas.

Certainly not the old Ballas. The problem with Ballas now is his pressure is rubbish. He's not quick anymore and in the rare event he catches someone, he can't stick the tackle. Carrying Ballantyne and Matera as your "pressure forwards" would be catastrophic.

Agree to disagree but I think Swit is currently better than Ballas and is only going to continue improving.

he will have to find more of the ball and kick more goals over time else he won't make it.

That goes without saying. To be honest, there wouldn't be many (if any) forwards who have played 10 games of AFL who don't fit into that basket.

but I have seen nothing from him that suggests he is a better footballer than Ballas.

Certainly not the old Ballas. The problem with Ballas now is his pressure is rubbish. He's not quick anymore and in the rare event he catches someone, he can't stick the tackle. Carrying Ballantyne and Matera as your "pressure forwards" would be catastrophic.

Agree to disagree but I think Swit is currently better than Ballas and is only going to continue improving.

Right now, I think that its Ballas vs Matera. Not Ballas vs Switta.

Late-career-Ballas and Matera both play a similar game: kicking goals "out the back" because they know when to run forward of the ball, or from a loose ground ball.
This year Matera has increased his production (due to improved running capacity to get to dangerous spots) which means that now I would probably only play Ballas if Matera got injured or badly lost form.

In contrast, Switta is the closest thing we have to a defensive/contested ball small forward. He might not exactly be the best in the league at it, but he is the best at what we have got right now. Like-for-like you replace Switta with someone like Schultz or even at a pinch Banfield. You would really like to see him kick more goals but he's no orphan on that score.

If one day Bennell comes into the team or we have to rest someone like Darcy or Jones forward, then a guy like Switta becomes even more important for us even if he never kicks a goal.

Of course this means in about an hour's time Switta will be dropped and Ballas will be named in the 18 on the ground !

Right now, I think that its Ballas vs Matera. Not Ballas vs Switta.

Late-career-Ballas and Matera both play a similar game: kicking goals "out the back" because they know when to run forward of the ball, or from a loose ground ball.
This year Matera has increased his production (due to improved running capacity to get to dangerous spots) which means that now I would probably only play Ballas if Matera got injured or badly lost form.

In contrast, Switta is the closest thing we have to a defensive/contested ball small forward. He might not exactly be the best in the league at it, but he is the best at what we have got right now. Like-for-like you replace Switta with someone like Schultz or even at a pinch Banfield. You would really like to see him kick more goals but he's no orphan on that score.

If one day Bennell comes into the team or we have to rest someone like Darcy or Jones forward, then a guy like Switta becomes even more important for us even if he never kicks a goal.

Of course this means in about an hour's time Switta will be dropped and Ballas will be named in the 18 on the ground !

Agree with this. If Ballas was to come in it'd have to be for Matera.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kelly has been offered a I year deal on big dollars with the option to leave after the year if that's what he wants. Geelong looking at a premiership this year and next
I think it's also so if/when Kelly asks for a trade at the end of the season the Cats have some leverage.

I think it's also so if/when Kelly asks for a trade at the end of the season the Cats have some leverage.

If Kelly has decided he’s leaving then he won’t be signing that contract to give his club a chance to keep him though.

Can’t remember a player ever re-signing and leaving within 3-4 months of each other. Just doesn’t happen.

If Kelly has decided he’s leaving then he won’t be signing that contract to give his club a chance to keep him though.

Can’t remember a player ever re-signing and leaving within 3-4 months of each other. Just doesn’t happen.
Schache did it up in Brisbane, but yeah Kelly won’t be signing that contract if he wants to come home this year

Channel 10 reported Gold Coast are into S Hill as a free agent.
Not sure why he’d go though. Our window looks like it’s opening, GC are a few decades away.

Switta, Shultz and Ballas should be depth in all honesty but instead they're in conversation for best 22, shows how bad we need another good small forward. Probably just me but I still wish we had of picked up Ian Hill, exactly what we need IMO.

We're talking about a guy that's played about 10 games. He's proven he can pressure well. Now give him time to see if he can convert on the scoreboard. I think unfortunately for Switta, he's the only one that pressures in our forward line so it compromises his ability to get into good positions close to goal. I'm hopeful that the goals will come, as we certainly need his pressure.
It's a bit damned if you do, damned if you don't. Kick goals but don't tackle? You're out (Kersten). Tackle but don't kick goals? You're out (DeBoer).

Being a forward at Freo you basically have to be Sonny Walters or Matt Pavlich. We burn basically everyone else, then play mids as forwards and wonder why we don't score goals.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/suns-set-their-sights-on-stephen-hill-20190613-p51xg4.html

The age reporting this as well. Not sure why given our position to GC and the fact that his brother came home to play with him.

That said, wouldn’t mind a repeat of last time we traded with them...
I can’t see Stephen leaving especially, as you mentioned, with Brad still here. I wouldn’t be surprised if Hilly’s agent has leaked the GC’s interest. Good way to squeeze another year on a contract or a couple of extra $$.

I reckon there would have been quite a few with the same opinion of David Mundy last year, in fact I know a lot called for him to retire. Ballas is two years younger than Mundy and I don't think it's a coincidence that our forward line was at its best in the game Ballas played.

I put him in the same bucket as Sandi - he's not necessarily going to be the game changer himself any more, but the knowledge and experience he brings (both at AFL and WAFL level) will be vital to our young guys' development.

Our forward line needs leadership and I think Ballas adds that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back