Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wished we held off on Bennell/Ballas extensions until prior to trade week. Didn't have a list management in place, yet Ross was allowed to go ahead and do it? Amateur hour.
Grey provides more then Ballas, but due to loyal servant gets the nod. One year from Sandi and Ballas.

Hope someone picks up Nads, serious talent if he continues to develop

Strnadica has talent. It's a shame we didn't keep him.

He currently sits;
Ruck: Sandilands, Lobb, Darcy, Jones, Meek/Strnadica (5th or 6th)
Forward: Hogan, Lobb, Taberner, Cox, McCarthy, Kersten, Dixon/Strnadica (7th or 8th)

We brought in another ruckman ahead of him and two more forwards ahead of him.

Wished we held off on Bennell/Ballas extensions until prior to trade week. Didn't have a list management in place, yet Ross was allowed to go ahead and do it? Amateur hour.
Grey provides more then Ballas, but due to loyal servant gets the nod. One year from Sandi and Ballas.

Hope someone picks up Nads, serious talent if he continues to develop

As much as I don't rate Ballantyne anymore, Grey has absolutely nothing on him. An extremely average footballer

Ok so 7 - out 3 retirements, 3 delist and one trade. We bring in 4 via trade period and have promoted up from rookie list Duman and Bannfield so that leaves one vacancy with all players on main list contracted for 2019 and we have a max of five picks in Nat Draft so where do the other vacancies come from to say have 3 picks in draft. The only room I can see is demoting a couple to rookie list ie Jones and Meek? The only remains rookies are Giro and Nyhuis so there is room there.

Have I got the maths right

He currently sits;
Forward: Hogan, Lobb, Taberner, Cox, McCarthy, Kersten, Dixon/Strnadica (7th or 8th)

He's ahead of Jones in that list. Sandi has one year in him. By end of 2019 it's Darcy, Lobb then who? Jones, Meek aren't AFL quality. That's bad IMO. Apeness isn't consistently fit. Feel that by end of this pre season, Nads will be alot stronger and when Sandi goes will be great to have alongside Lobb/Darcy in 2020. Seriously poor list management. Top heavy with Meek, Jones, Kersten and Apeness who all could be gone by 2019 anyway.
Kersten is done, Cox can play half back. So really he's a ruck/forward hybrid who can mark. He's only 20.

You're looking at Ruck: Darcy, Lobb, Apeness - Meek, Jones delisted.

Please people, stop this "shouldn't have recontacted Sandi and Ballas" crap. We had no guarantees of securing any of the 4 players we ultimately brought in. Without those trades and if we hadn't resigned them we would currently have 7 players with plus 70 games on the list. If you can't see that would have been a problem, but also complain that would be getting better results in the season just gone and in the next it should exile by catapult from the board for you.

Sandi I get.

Harley not so much.

Ballantyne what am I missing?

He currently sits;

I think bringing in the extra ruckman last year turned out to be a waste of time. Strnadica showed the improvement required this year.

He's ahead of Jones in that list. Sandi has one year in him. By end of 2019 it's Darcy, Lobb then who? Jones, Meek aren't AFL quality. That's bad IMO. Apeness isn't consistently fit. Feel that by end of this pre season, Nads will be alot stronger and when Sandi goes will be great to have alongside Lobb/Darcy in 2020. Seriously poor list management. Top heavy with Meek, Jones, Kersten and Apeness who all could be gone by 2019 anyway.
Kersten is done, Cox can play half back. So really he's a ruck/forward hybrid who can mark. He's only 20.

You're looking at Ruck: Darcy, Lobb, Apeness - Meek, Jones delisted.

Where does this come from - I don't watch as much WAFL as some on this board but I see a kid that looks like a ruckman but just hasn't quite put it together.

Looking at him from Round 9 to 21 where he played 9 league games against good WAFL competition (just 1 game against Perth all the rest against WAFL finalists) his average stats were light in getting it 10 disposals & 4 tackles but hit outs were a decent 26 ....needs to find more of the ball but lets give him some time to develop a tank.

Do others just not rate him?

Has Nyhuis definitely been upgraded? AFL website seems to suggest we still might delist him off the rookie list and take him again as a rookie?
(or not, delist for good would suit me)

Not sure how loyalty comes into it with Neale and the club. He would still be in Purple except the club traded him for Hogan. He didn't just pack his bag and leave us, he was in contract and would have stayed for 2019.

His last contract with us was written some years ago and in the interim he worked his arse off for us, earning B&f's, breaking AFL records, became a club leader, took a draftee into his house from (dodgy) memory. At the time his contract was written, it was probably fair value, but in the interim his worth on the market has shot right up, we could have recontracted him and upped his salary along the way in good faith, yet we didn't.

He hasn't missed out on the price of a cup of coffee, his value is hundreds of thousands per year greater than his contract. That's a lot of moolah to miss out on. The contract was written in good faith and adhered to by both parties, he has no cause to feel aggrieved, but was entitled to a few feelings at not getting paid closer to his worth - it is something that most people would feel except for enlightened budhist monks that eschew the trappings of this world and a few others.

Good luck to him, he worked hard for us and I'll always be thankful for his efforts.
Right, so the club should feel free to negotiate contracts down when it doesn't work out from their side?

Neale flirting with Brisbane during the season is pretty open disloyalty in my opinion. Of course he is entitled to do it. But for sure my respect for him takes a hit along with that. He took the money and ran, and is a Brisbane player now.

Last edited:
It was said early in the year that Meek would play Peel reserves to give him full time rucking. If he was in the Peel league he'd have been a 2nd or 3rd stringer and it would stunt his development.

That's my take on it. He had games in the pre-season, so he can't have fallen way down the list.

Should history repeat we might find we're without Apeness and Sandilands again next year - so could be looking to add another ruckman again in the mid season draft.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He currently sits;

Pretty poor list management tbh, would have preferred we keep him over Apeness and Jones. Apeness especially is just a list clogger now, same boat as Harley and Andrew Browne before them.

One of the depth ruckmen needed to go I guess, and the one who was out of contract was the one who got the snip. Doesn't seem like the most difficult decision. Strnadica is young, may get picked up, but anyway, has plenty of time to forge a career.

One of the depth ruckmen needed to go I guess, and the one who was out of contract was the one who got the snip. Doesn't seem like the most difficult decision. Strnadica is young, may get picked up, but anyway, has plenty of time to forge a career.
That is what’s silly about this. Gave Apeness an extension based on a month of football then he gets injured. Should’ve been carried out at the end of the year. Now Nads got stuck with being out of contract. It’s pretty poor tbh.

If he doesn't get picked up by another AFL club he would be better off showing his improvement at another WAFL club where he can be 1st/2nd ruck.

The reports on him from coaching staff were positive when he had more opportunity rucking in the Peel 1sts, but all the options on our list, not just the rucks but the players like Taberner, Apeness and probably even Dixon who might be expected to do some part time rucking as part of their development, it would put Strnadica back in the 2nds if he played at Peel another year.

Not sure I get all the Nads delisting teeth gnashing. He looked a bit lumbering to be an effective AFL forward to me and if you're not agile with a leap how are you going to complete at only 201 cm in the ruck?
I mean it obviously wasn't clear cut in tossing him in the 'not going to make it' basket, or he'd have been delisted in September not after trade period, but maybe we should wait till he's smashing it down the opposition rovers throat before we burn the place down.

Personally I'm pleased its hard for them to get the final spots on the list right. The easier it is the more spuds you had.

Reckon we need to cut a few more tbh. We joke but Peel look pretty stuffed with the amount of tall players that we're forcing em to play atm. Hurts both the development of the talls we do care about down there and the team as a whole.

Jones and Apeness in particular are just list cloggers of the highest order that could easily be forced to play in Peel reserves just for balance. They'd be better off being cut and showing their wares as the number 1 or number 2 ruck for another WAFL side.

Not sure I get all the Nads delisting teeth gnashing. He looked a bit lumbering to be an effective AFL forward to me and if you're not agile with a leap how are you going to complete at only 201 cm in the ruck?
I mean it obviously wasn't clear cut in tossing him in the 'not going to make it' basket, or he'd have been delisted in September not after trade period, but maybe we should wait till he's smashing it down the opposition rovers throat before we burn the place down.

Personally I'm pleased its hard for them to get the final spots on the list right. The easier it is the more spuds you had.

We have a rookie tall that gets cut after two years and no games at AFL level because of the logjam of similar types ahead of him. It's less to do with Nads personally imo and more about how it highlights a lack of foresight and list balance. This time next year, after another swathe of axings, hopefully it all looks a little more coherent

That is what’s silly about this. Gave Apeness an extension based on a month of football then he gets injured. Should’ve been carried out at the end of the year. Now Nads got stuck with being out of contract. It’s pretty poor tbh.
It is pretty normal. Strnadica was one of the very last players to be drafted last year, with both Meek and Jones being selected ahead of him. He didn't get a debut as a 19/20 year old ruckman, which is also pretty stock standard AFL stuff, and instead the more mature body in Jones did. I'm not a big fan of playing 19/20 year old rucks despite what Darcy has done. In context, sure he could have got a debut last season, but this a so far away from a selection issue of any real significance.

In the trade season we brought in Lobb, and with both Darcy and Lobb our future ruck options are pretty well settled for the next 8 or so years with any luck. Lobb clearly came as a bit of a surprise, and yes Apeness and possibly even Sandilands may have been on the positive side of that, and Strnadica a casualty. But to this stage none of Jones, Meek or Strnadica have done anything more than suggest they may become AFL depth rucks. In addition, if Lobb or Darcy go down, I expect Taberner to be asked to step up.

The big picture is that our ruck stocks are much better than they were this time last year. We have recruited heavily in the ruck/tall forward area in the hope of achieving what we have now achieved. I expect they get a further re-balancing at the end of next season as well.

I know but I'm guessing we're going to delist & then rookie someone off our main list.

I'd do it with Bennell, sends a message and if anyone else takes a chance on him ....gets his salary off the books.
Either Bennel or Apeness for mine. Both lucky to be there in the context of their histories.

We have a rookie tall that gets cut after two years and no games at AFL level because of the logjam of similar types ahead of him. It's less to do with Nads personally imo and more about how it highlights a lack of foresight and list balance. This time next year, after another swathe of axings, hopefully it all looks a little more coherent
This list balance argument is rubbish in my view, we had 4 main rucks and two ruck forwards. Which is what maybe one more than the average list? Respectively from the groups 1 on the edge of retirement and 1 injury prone too.
So peel have to play 1 extra tall and a rookie gets delisted with

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back