2-3 inside mids that are or are close to elite
Elite kick from half back
2 gun small forwards
Gun ruckman
At least two servicable wingmen
Zac Dawson

It's clear we don't have all that atm.

1. Hogan and ?Pearce?
2. Fyfe and ?Mundy? OR ?Cerra? OR ?Brayshaw? OR ?Blakely?
3. Wilson
4. Walters and ?Switkowski? OR ?Matera?
5. Sandilands or Darcy or Lobb
6. ?S. Hill? and ?B.Hill?
7. Joel Hamling

4 and 6 seems the the most uncertain or unlikely (Im willing to hypothesise that the centre mids will recover quickly because we have dome strong looking youngsters there).

The thing with the wingmen is that we have a heap of speedy gut runners (Hills, Brayshaw, Langdon etc.) but not players that are dangerous either in the air or consistent by foot; as Mark Duffield in the West said, we probably don't have the luxury of having enough skilled midfielders to play Cerra as a defender.

I am worried about Switkowski becoming the next Ruffles, Matera is wearing my patience, Giro is more a midfielder, Crowden started with a burst and has not come back the way I would like yet, not going to judge Shultz until he has played but probably needs to starting getting games. I also like McCarthy and Cox as a possible tall "small forwards" (ie good when the ball is on the ground, pressure acts etc.) but want to see a bit more and with Cox that's also two slowish forwards (if the other is Walters) which worries me. I also think Sturt is an upcoming option.

I have left Bennell out of the above for obvious reasons and assumed that when it comes to it Walters will play more forward.

1. Hogan and ?Pearce?
3. Wilson
7. Joel Hamling

4 and 6 seems the the most uncertain or unlikely (Im willing to hypothesise that the centre mids will recover quickly because we have dome strong looking youngsters there).

The thing with the wingmen is that we have a heap of speedy gut runners (Hills, Brayshaw, Langdon etc.) but not players that are dangerous either in the air or consistent by foot; as Mark Duffield in the West said, we probably don't have the luxury of having enough skilled midfielders to play Cerra as a defender.

I am worried about Switkowski becoming the next Ruffles, Matera is wearing my patience, Giro is more a midfielder, Crowden started with a burst and has not come back the way I would like yet, not going to judge Shultz until he has played but probably needs to starting getting games. I also like McCarthy and Cox as a possible tall "small forwards" (ie good when the ball is on the ground, pressure acts etc.) but want to see a bit more and with Cox that's also two slowish forwards (if the other is Walters) which worries me. I also think Sturt is an upcoming option.

I have left Bennell out of the above for obvious reasons and assumed that when it comes to it Walters will play more forward.

Maybe but not yet.

My point is that if we replace Mundy with a gun mid it’s all about whether Brayshaw and Cerra develop quick enough to be at the start of their peak when Fyfe is at the end of his. A player around Mundy’s current level would be fantastic, anything better we can start getting excited.

We have Switkowski, Schultz and Sturt (not small but a forward) but they have played a combined two games of AFL footy. Wouldn’t mind someone else to help out.

If we can sort this out in the next 2-3 years I’m confident Ross can do a good job with this list. I’m confident no other coach would’ve got us to a Grand Final in 2013. Facts are if we look at that team:
- Pav and McPharlin > Hogan and Pearce
- Fyfe, Mundy, Barlow (2013) > Fyfe Mundy Brayshaw (2019)
- Ballantyne and Walters (2013) > Ballantyne and Switkowski
- Sandilands (2013) > Darcy
- Duffield > Wilson
- S.Hill, D.Pearce (2013) < B.Hill, Langdon
I mentioned Zac Dawson more as a joke but also:
- Johnson > Logue

Where our list now is better is I had to think twice who is better out of Pearce and Hamling, Ryan and Wilson, Brayshaw and Cerra etc. And also Lobb absolutely smashes Clarke.

Preseason stuff is pretty much irrelevant compared to how much a player can learn and develop during the home and away season. Pointless to try and examine a group that's comfortable in their own surroundings.
I think Ross would disagree with this. He said (although,ironically, he’s never won one) that “premierships are won and lost between November and March”. Ross Lyon, 2014.

1. Hogan and ?Pearce?
3. Wilson
7. Joel Hamling

Sounds like we will have a few academy kids available in the the next two years, but you are right about different
skill sets available.
With North, Banfield, Valente, that trio do have some size, but maybe Carter fits in somewhere?
Peel will be real interesting, and let's hope good form is rewarded, still looks like we a KPD short on development.

I think Ross would disagree with this. He said (although,ironically, he’s never won one) that “premierships are won and lost between November and March”. Ross Lyon, 2014.

TBF he's never won one, so i don't know if his comments really mean much until (if) he wins one

TBF he's never won one, so i don't know if his comments really mean much until (if) he wins one

He has coached enough teams to a grand final for his opinion to mean a bit, in my opinion.

Chris Scott has won a flag inheriting a multi-flag side and then trended down ever since.

And I'd agree 100% with him too at the time, before 2012, not all teams were uber fit and the few that were, ran rings around the others, progressively all teams addressed this. So extreme fitness was a pretty clear line in the sand between those teams wanting it and those rebuilding or heavens forbid, just cruising.

All teams see it as a necessity for player selection now (and therefore the players wanting match payments with them). The pre-Lyon version of Walters with an extra pie or two in him could get a gig in most teams once upon a time, not any more.

Just a thought bubble.

Dean Rioli is uncontracted at the end of the year and if we get him, then good chance we get Maurice Jnr also.

Would a need.
I like your optimism but there's more chance of Ballantyne not falling over in a game then that happening

J Sharp is an outside b flanker or wing, silky skills and knows how to find the ball but not much contested possessions from the games I’ve seen. Not sure if he’s an Eagles or a Dockers Fan!

Plus NGA Henry ! Definitely a Dockers Fan :)

Sharp wants to go to West Coast, and who can blame him after today!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sharp wants to go to West Coast, and who can blame him after today!

Georgiadies want to go to the Eagles as well, as he’s supported them all his life, that doesn’t mean it’s going to happen, the draft doesn’t work like that.

Last year I remember Freo wiped the Eagles in the JLT, its only a scratchy

Freo have a bit of work to do in the midfield but thought Hogan looked good in the forwards.

Georgiadies want to go to the Eagles as well, as he’s supported them all his life, that doesn’t mean it’s going to happen, the draft doesn’t work like that.

Last year I remember Freo wiped the Eagles in the JLT, its only a scratchy

Freo have a bit of work to do in the midfield but thought Hogan looked good in the forwards.
I am pretty certain that West Coast will be using their first round pick on Kelly.

Georgiadies won't be going to the Eagles, unless he does a Darling bender year.

Colyer was probably our worst player on the weekend . Something like 4 effective disposals and 0 score involvements for a small forward/mid? Last week he also only had 4 effective disposals but was at least involved in 2 scores. Those are some shocking stats for a 27yo player we traded in. It makes Matera look half decent (he at least had 6 score involvements), Ballas had 3 (and coincidentally 3 shots at goal - meaning he created 0 others). All three need to spend time at Peel imo.

Is there a chance we play none of those 3 in Rd 1, Switta comes good early, and he, Banfield and Shultz become our small forward brigade (along with Walters)? Switta is our second best small forward by quite a way imo. I'd choose Banfield next. And rather roll the die with Shultz than give the 4th best small forward role to one of those 26yo+ guys.

Colyer was probably our worst player on the weekend . Something like 4 effective disposals and 0 score involvements for a small forward/mid? Last week he also only had 4 effective disposals but was at least involved in 2 scores. Those are some shocking stats for a 27yo player we traded in. It makes Matera look half decent (he at least had 6 score involvements), Ballas had 3 (and coincidentally 3 shots at goal - meaning he created 0 others). All three need to spend time at Peel imo.

Is there a chance we play none of those 3 in Rd 1, Switta comes good early, and he, Banfield and Shultz become our small forward brigade (along with Walters)? Switta is our second best small forward by quite a way imo. I'd choose Banfield next. And rather roll the die with Shultz than give the 4th best small forward role to one of those 26yo+ guys.

Cerra forward flank, Walters other flank, Banfield forward pocket, Schultz coming off the bench maybe.
Switta if fit, takes Schultz spot.

Matera, Colyer and Ballas should not be near the best 22, unless they find some great Wafl form.

This Friday is the cutoff to draft replacement players... any chance someone's head is on the block?
Kersten possibly?

There was a reference in a West article about a week ago that one WA club was still looking at Dillon O'Reilly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back