Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
There was a reference in a West article about a week ago that one WA club was still looking at Dillon O'Reilly.
Got a feeling both clubs will watch him.

There were questions over his application and quickness.

Sounds like if he get his acted together and performs at WAFL level he will get drafted either in the mid-season draft or in November.

Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
There was a reference in a West article about a week ago that one WA club was still looking at Dillon O'Reilly.
This one doesn't have any picks does it? I was surprised that Freo didn't take him being the son of an ex player.

I just hope Weagles don't take him and he develops into another McGovern.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Pretty sure we can trade one of our TBC wild cards for a state league player if we wish. **** it, we should play the "Draw Four" and get a set of matching players.

Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Number 31 for the Beagles was a tough inside mid and defensive forward. Kicked three goals. Only 23 and has have a few years experience at AFL.... Oh wait.
This guy.
1552484967806.png

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Crumpet this morning saying that Cogs was voted to be captain of GWS but the higher ups didn’t tick it off because he hasn’t signed an extension, so he’s a bit pissed off at them. His management is in talks with Freo and vice versa and he’ll be keeping an eye on how we go this season. Although he’d prefer to play for the mob up the road, they won’t have the cap to sign him.

Interesting times... 🤔

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Colyer , Conca, Matera. All c grade recruits.
We really need to work on our recruiting.

Future fourth round pick for Colyer - Likely to be pick 65 or even later in the 2019 draft. Colyer underwhelmed so far but it does take time for new recruits.

Conca cost bugger all - was FA. I was reasonably impressed with him in first game. Could be handy.

Matera - well we did overpay (not terribly with a third rounder - pick around mid to late 40’s). He really needs to pull his finger out. Had some moments last season but does have some incredible brain farts as well - making the simple impossible.

Since our 2013 GF:
We have recruited Hogan, BHill, Hamling, Wilson & Lobb. Conca seems ok but too early to call.

Would say the following haven’t been great:
Matera, Kersten (he was a late pick in the 60’s), Bennell, McCarthy, Sylvia, Gumbleton. Not expecting a lot from Colyer but also too early to call.

Prob about 50/50 but we have recruited too many duds but didn’t pay too much to be fair.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
Future fourth round pick for Colyer - Likely to be pick 65 or even later in the 2019 draft. Colyer underwhelmed so far but it does take time for new recruits.

Conca cost bugger all - was FA. I was reasonably impressed with him in first game. Could be handy.

Matera - well we did overpay (not terribly with a third rounder - pick around mid to late 40’s). He really needs to pull his finger out. Had some moments last season but does have some incredible brain farts as well - making the simple impossible.

Since our 2013 GF:
We have recruited Hogan, BHill, Hamling, Wilson & Lobb. Conca seems ok but too early to call.

Would say the following haven’t been great:
Matera, Kersten (he was a late pick in the 60’s), Bennell, McCarthy, Sylvia, Gumbleton. Not expecting a lot from Colyer but also too early to call.

Prob about 50/50 but we have recruited too many duds but didn’t pay too much to be fair.

I would rather roll the dice on a late pick, than pick up known average players.

Stack over Colyer, Eagles Rioili over Matera, and spud over Kersten, conca should ok for general leadership but his skills are average.

Wilson, Hogan were always going to be a good pick. I don't see what good judge of players thought Matera or Colyer would help us.

Kersten is another who had not shown anything in an extended period, yet we waste list spots on these spuds

Our drafting 5 or 6 years ago caused half the issue by drafting s**t players, forcing us to quickly turn over our list now.

Last edited:
May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I would rather roll the dice on a late pick, than pick up known average players.

Stack over Colyer, Eagles Rioili over Matera, and spud over Kersten, conca should ok for general leadership but his skills are average.

Wilson, Hogan were always going to be a good pick. I don't see what good judge of players thought Matera or Colyer would help us.

Kersten is another who had not shown anything in an extended period, yet we waste list spots on these spuds

Our drafting 5 or 6 years ago caused half the issue by drafting s**t players, forcing us to quickly turn over our list now.
We were never drafting Stack. We didn't select Colyer over him as we were never selecting him, no matter what the pick.

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
We were never drafting Stack. We didn't select Colyer over him as we were never selecting him, no matter what the pick.
They were just examples.

Letting him train with us and keeping a spot open for was a great call my Richmond.

I believe stack has a Better chance of playing 100 more games player than colyer, and those games will be of a bigger impact.

Some times you need to draft the high risk players, and hope your culture is strong enough.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
They were just examples.

Letting him train with us and keeping a spot open for was a great call my Richmond.

I believe stack has a Better chance of playing 100 more games player than colyer, and those games will be of a bigger impact.

Some times you need to draft the high risk players, and hope your culture is strong enough.
Stack has done nothing yet.

Statistically you need 5.3 fourth round picks to get 1 player who plays 100 games.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Whilst they’re not stars, I didn’t have a problem with us getting Matera and Kerstin, they filled a need and are borderline best 22. Both were best 22 at the time of getting them. No issue. I think the way we’ve used Matera isn’t seeing us get the best out of him, but that’s another story.

Conca made sense due to us losing Neale, so no issue but he’s no star either and disposal is an issue, which is something we don’t need more of. Playing him off hb is just plain stupid imo, but again that’s a seperate issue.

Rion

Club Legend
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Skills is probably our biggest issue and we brought in two experienced players who can't kick, it was pretty dumb back when we did it and it looks pretty dumb now.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
We always wanted Lobb and Hogan that’s for sure and weren’t going to pay a second rounder for a guy that was slightly better than Kersten but still took us no where. We got Cox and Darcy with second rounders that year.

At the time we had Taberner, Apeness and McCarthy with one foot in the door as our key forwards. Taberner was not half the player he is now, Apeness was always injured and McCarthy had spent the year not playing footy. We needed someone else and if they were going to be rubbish they may as have been cheap.

Matera is the one that made little sense to me. At the time people said he was alright and I said otherwise. A third rounder was always too much but we glossed over it because we’d just got Pick Two for Lachie Weller. We should’ve kept Walters forward and drafted young small forwards to develop as Ballantyne’s career winded down. We’ve recruited what we think are two decent mature aged forwards to do this but we should’ve probably recruited another one instead of sub 175cm mids.

Colyer was a salary cap dump for Essendon and is okay depth. Three years is way too long though.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
Whilst they’re not stars, I didn’t have a problem with us getting Matera and Kerstin, they filled a need and are borderline best 22. Both were best 22 at the time of getting them. No issue. I think the way we’ve used Matera isn’t seeing us get the best out of him, but that’s another story.

Conca made sense due to us losing Neale, so no issue but he’s no star either and disposal is an issue, which is something we don’t need more of. Playing him off hb is just plain stupid imo, but again that’s a seperate issue.
I disagree on Matera. He is slow, poor skills, and can't jump.
I don't see one attribute that makes him AFL quality

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
We always wanted Lobb and Hogan that’s for sure and weren’t going to pay a second rounder for a guy that was slightly better than Kersten but sill took us no where. We got Cox and Darcy with second rounders that year.

At the time we had Taberner, Apeness and McCarthy with one foot in the door as our key forwards. Taberner was not half the player he is now, Apeness was always injured and McCarthy had spent the year not playing footy. We needed someone else and if they were going to be rubbish they may as have been cheap.

Matera is the one that made little sense to me. At the time people said he was alright and I said otherwise. A third rounder was always too much but we glossed over it because we’d just got Pick Two for Lachie Weller. We should’ve kept Walters forward and drafted young small forwards to develop as Ballantyne’s career winded down. We’ve recruited what we think are two decent mature aged forwards to do this but we should’ve probably recruited another one instead of sub 175cm mids.

Colyer was a salary cap dump for Essendon and is okay depth. Three years is way too long though.
Agree

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

He was using an example - you could replace with a heap of others. I always liked the look of South Australian U18 Tom Lewis.

Let’s give Colyer a chance but at the time I was a little surprised with the very late trade. Even more surprised with 3-year contract. You could see they were trying to add some genuine speed and spread with Colyer.

Picks after 60 in the ND I have no issue with trading for a fringe 22 player. Both Kersten and Colyer were going to be offered contracts by the previous clubs - but we over reached with the length of contact - 2 years max.

If these fringe players aren’t willing to come for 2-years then forget them and draft a kid.

After doing the list - I agree that there are too many spuds. But the bigger problem I believe is the length of the contract for the spuds.

With the Matera and Colyer trades/contracts there seems to be too much influence from and need to appease Colin Young.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back