Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cant seem to find a draft and/or trade thread, seems we need one.

Couple of pretty high profile WA recruits up for grabs at this stage in Kelly, Martin and Coniglio.

Would be stoked for any of them.

After the first two games I think we could use the ball winning ability of Coniglio more than anything but maybe thats resolved with another year into Brayshaw and getting Blakely on the field.

Didnt rate Martin that highly before the weekend but he destroyed us with contested possession and skill. Would be the type of player to thrive away from GC as well and you would imagine he'd be amazing with Fyfe dishing to him in space.

Also, Weagles are convinced they can fit Coniglio AND (not or) Kelly in the salary cap because every player is front loaded, no one is getting pay raises and all their most expensive players are retiring or taking pay cuts. Hilarious

Sep 29, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, Arsenal, Vikings.
Like the look of Sharp from East Fremantle I think. Of course If we manage to land any of Martin, Kelly or Coniglio any chance of having a pick good enough to get him would be probably gone. That is unless Belly has some cunning plan.

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
Coniglio and Martin are the perfect two players for us.

Callum Ah Chee interests me, but he did not play on the weekend. I would like to watch 4 or 5 of his game to see how he goes.

Shai Bolton is another one, we really need a small forward but he has been injured lately.

Will Powell shows potential as well.

Zac Langdon could be a good depth small forward.

Alfonz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Don't be surprised if WC get Kelly and Coniglio. They are already somehow managing massive contracts to McGovern, Gaff, Yeo, Shuey, Naitanui, making a play for Kelly on big dollars, plus paying guys like Kennedy, Darling, Hurn, etc. Whether it is legit or stuff outside the cap, they know what they're doing.

Don't be surprised if WC get Kelly and Coniglio. They are already somehow managing massive contracts to McGovern, Gaff, Yeo, Shuey, Naitanui, making a play for Kelly on big dollars, plus paying guys like Kennedy, Darling, Hurn, etc. Whether it is legit or stuff outside the cap, they know what they're doing.
You just pointed out why they cant.

Basics facts are that to bring on Kelly and Conigilio it would be at least 1.7m of contract space needed. That is over 13% of the salary cap that they have to invent out of thin air. They also have literally the largest contract in the game with McGovern who is on like 1.3m a season. There is no world where they can afford to bring in Kelly AND Coniglio

wild side

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2010
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Toast have won 4 flags in 26 years, they must be good at this footy caper. They'll blow us out of the park.
And Sharp from East Freo wants to go to the Toast

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Cant seem to find a draft and/or trade thread, seems we need one.

Couple of pretty high profile WA recruits up for grabs at this stage in Kelly, Martin and Coniglio.

Would be stoked for any of them.

After the first two games I think we could use the ball winning ability of Coniglio more than anything but maybe thats resolved with another year into Brayshaw and getting Blakely on the field.

Didnt rate Martin that highly before the weekend but he destroyed us with contested possession and skill. Would be the type of player to thrive away from GC as well and you would imagine he'd be amazing with Fyfe dishing to him in space.

Also, Weagles are convinced they can fit Coniglio AND (not or) Kelly in the salary cap because every player is front loaded, no one is getting pay raises and all their most expensive players are retiring or taking pay cuts. Hilarious

Jeez those Hungry Jacks adds are going to have to last for 10 mins just to get everyone enough screen time

I can see it now Nic Nat and Jk pulling up to the drive thru

NN - 5 buck whopper meals Jk

Jk - well NN the paycut hurts but that's a sweet deal

NN - Gov said to get him 3

JK - well he won't know they're 5 bucks so I think it's only fair he pays
for ours

NN - Sounds good to me .......... what do you recon boys

Camera pans out to the rest of the team lined up in cars behind them

Liam Ryan crashes his car into a tree

NN and JK get out of the car and move a bus stop with a big add for the West on it to block the view of the accident

Fades out with Andrew GAGF sucking on a thick shake saying these aren't that bad Andy

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Alfonz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
You just pointed out why they cant.

Basics facts are that to bring on Kelly and Conigilio it would be at least 1.7m of contract space needed. That is over 13% of the salary cap that they have to invent out of thin air. They also have literally the largest contract in the game with McGovern who is on like 1.3m a season. There is no world where they can afford to bring in Kelly AND Coniglio

Which is why I alluded to "stuff outside the cap". And it wouldn't even need to be that dodgy. You could easily spread millions across various players/years with real estate deals where the player gets top/bottom dollar of an estimated range.

Something tells me that WC know how to work the system. They should already be over the cap with the max contracts they've made recently. But they're not.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
If Coniglio leaves he will be paid $1M per year min prob more. No way WC will afford that. Personally I think he stays at GWS they have been gearing up for this over the past two years. Coniglio and Josh Kelly are the two they really want to keep.

Tim Kelly will get to WCE - they were apparently close to drafting him in the 2016 draft. Missed him by a Cats whisker in 2017 draft. Will cost a decent 1st round pick and consume a fair chunk of trade time working through the details.

Essendon had a crack a Martin last year and seem to have a go a someone big every year but just seem to be a bit of a basket case at the moment.

I have a gut feel about Martin. We were sniffing around him back in the early days. He put on a clinic against us not only Sun but a few years ago.

Future 1st round pick & Future 4th round pick for Martin and GCS Future 3rd round pick.

Take our 2019 1st & 2nd to the draft with a late mature age draft pick. Then in 2020 draft a 2nd and 2 x 3rd picks.

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I don't want any of those free agents for what we would have to pay and in general I feel that getting these expensive so called gun players for even more than the norm is an absolute waste of money that also erodes the development of players and undermines the team in the longer term.

Draft-wise I would like us to keep it simple and see us concentrate on bringing in some midfield skill with foot speed with most picks. At this stage I think we need to pay whatever we need to pay to get Liam Henry (as a fast skillful player from our NGA who sounds dedicated) and then we should also get a similar serve again of skill+footspeed out of the rest of draft points if at all possible. If we are at the top end of the draft for whatever reason this means for me Cameron Taheny (SA) or Noah Anderson (Vic) as they are the "elite" forward/mids of a super quality and skills in this draft. On WA kids this year I (still) reckon Sharp is overrated and it wouldn't suprise to see him fall to late first or second round and Luke Jackson feels like a trap unless you see him at a pick around 30. Deven Robertson and Mitch Georgides also okay value if around in the second round but atm thinking them probably fall pick level 5 - 20 as good alrounder types.

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't want any of those free agents for what we would have to pay and in general I feel that getting these expensive so called gun players for even more than the norm is an absolute waste of money that also erodes the development of players and undermines the team in the longer term.

Draft-wise I would like us to keep it simple and see us concentrate on bringing in some midfield skill with foot speed with most picks. At this stage I think we need to pay whatever we need to pay to get Liam Henry (as a fast skillful player from our NGA who sounds dedicated) and then we should also get a similar serve again of skill+footspeed out of the rest of draft points if at all possible. If we are at the top end of the draft for whatever reason this means for me Cameron Taheny (SA) or Noah Anderson (Vic) as they are the "elite" forward/mids of a super quality and skills in this draft. On WA kids this year I (still) reckon Sharp is overrated and it wouldn't suprise to see him fall to late first or second round and Luke Jackson feels like a trap unless you see him at a pick around 30. Deven Robertson and Mitch Georgides also okay value if around in the second round but atm thinking them probably fall pick level 5 - 20 as good alrounder types.
You could use your logic on what we paid for Hogan, Lobb, and how those picks, players careers unfold.
Freo do love their mature ready made stars rather than developing in house.

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle
You could use your logic on what we paid for Hogan, Lobb, and how those picks, players careers unfold.
Freo do love their mature ready made stars rather than developing in house.
I think from where the list had been allowed to degenerate to, the mature age strategy was essential. We ended up with lots of kids and a few senior players, but very little in the "sweet spot" of mid twenties. I think we now have a very balanced list age-wise and it's time to fully develop the existing kids while bringing in new kids at the draft. If the opportunity arises to trade or draft a mature aged player at the right price who fills an immediate need then go for it, otherwise let's get back to developing our own.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Could you imagine our best 22 if we didn't trade in those 10 players over the last 3 seasons? We'd have 6-8 more spots filled by 18 or 19yos. We'd get absolutely smashed every game.

Keep balancing trading and drafting imo. We have a bit of an experience hole in the midfield - Mundy is 33, Blakely injured, SHill and Bennell can't get on the park. Martin (24), Kelly (24), Coniglio (25) are not exactly old, and they are also all versatile so you can still give the young mids (eg Tucker, Brayshaw, Cerra) opportunities to play on ball. With Valente, North, Crowden, Giro all developing at Peel I'd trade for whatever quality we can, grab the NGA guys (small forward and gen defenders) with points, and then look at some developing defenders with late picks (would still love O'Reilly who can play KPD).

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
If Coniglio leaves he will be paid $1M per year min prob more. No way WC will afford that. Personally I think he stays at GWS they have been gearing up for this over the past two years. Coniglio and Josh Kelly are the two they really want to keep.

Tim Kelly will get to WCE - they were apparently close to drafting him in the 2016 draft. Missed him by a Cats whisker in 2017 draft. Will cost a decent 1st round pick and consume a fair chunk of trade time working through the details.

Essendon had a crack a Martin last year and seem to have a go a someone big every year but just seem to be a bit of a basket case at the moment.

I have a gut feel about Martin. We were sniffing around him back in the early days. He put on a clinic against us not only Sun but a few years ago.

Future 1st round pick & Future 4th round pick for Martin and GCS Future 3rd round pick.

Take our 2019 1st & 2nd to the draft with a late mature age draft pick. Then in 2020 draft a 2nd and 2 x 3rd picks.

How would he go on the half back flank though?

G Mus

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus
Guys thoughts on Brad Hill? Has he taken a leap into superstar status? Is he now a first rotation mid, or will things change once you've got everyone healthy?
666 really has had an impact on the top 1% endurance players in the league, they just have so much space now, look at Whitfield as well they have no matchup

G Mus

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus
Do we need to bring in Giro?
Depends how much robbing Peter is required, as well as weighing up if there's a diminishing return of having another

He may beat Hill in the time trial as well but is he footy fitter? Repeat sprint fitter?

Definitely be worth a try though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back