Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are being too harsh on our recruiting staff. Every other club in the AFL overlooked him multiple times. I had watched him playing for Souths and thought he was good but never realized he could go to this level. Anyway good on Tim Kelly for persevering and forging a great career (so far)

Or not harsh enough on all the clubs. Recruiters are supposed to be able to identify talent. If there is a bloke under your noses like Kelly who is supposedly not taking things seriously or has upside with fitness/training/consistency and so forth, you should be able to spot this ahead of time. His QF and SF in 2016 and a few other games through that year are on par with his standard sort of game in 2017. We should have chosen him instead of Giro or Banfield, end of story. No excuses.

Or not harsh enough on all the clubs. Recruiters are supposed to be able to identify talent. If there is a bloke under your noses like Kelly who is supposedly not taking things seriously or has upside with fitness/training/consistency and so forth, you should be able to spot this ahead of time. His QF and SF in 2016 and a few other games through that year are on par with his standard sort of game in 2017. We should have chosen him instead of Giro or Banfield, end of story. No excuses.
We took Banfield and Giro after Kelly went, so that would be difficult. I think what you meant to say is we should have taken him in 2016 instead of Duman, Nads, Grey or Deluca.

Kelly has got an interesting decision to make. He has the ability to set up his family with $ with what’s left of his footy career. I’m not sure West Coast can give him what he deserves.

Im not sure we have enough to get Kelly.. all we have so far for the 2019 draft are picks 17 and 34 that are meaningful and can be traded up or slide up depending on results (subject to change as its round 6 but that pick 17 needs to bump up closer to pick 10).

Im interested in how people think we can land Kelly who is having a stellar season which is bad news for us and Coniglio has no real reason to return home if he is that much against the Dockers.. I honestly dont know if the $1mil give or take we may offer would even get him here as he is young, can re-sign for GWS and wait for West Coast to have cap space to sign him, he seems one eyed and I dont blame him.. some people really hate the rival team.

Eli Manning at Chargers, Kobe at Charlotte are good examples of "even if you want me and I'm a top player/first round pick I wont play at your club".

We are going to have to trade up and send some players back over east... I don't know who but we need picks in the low 20's or another first rounder badly if we want Kelly and Jack Martin who are the most realistic duo to come to the Dockers if we can figure out how to get some more picks.

Im not sure we have enough to get Kelly.. all we have so far for the 2019 draft are picks 17 and 34 that are meaningful and can be traded up or slide up depending on results (subject to change as its round 6 but that pick 17 needs to bump up closer to pick 10).

Im interested in how people think we can land Kelly who is having a stellar season which is bad news for us and Coniglio has no real reason to return home if he is that much against the Dockers.. I honestly dont know if the $1mil give or take we may offer would even get him here as he is young, can re-sign for GWS and wait for West Coast to have cap space to sign him, he seems one eyed and I dont blame him.. some people really hate the rival team.

Eli Manning at Chargers, Kobe at Charlotte are good examples of "even if you want me and I'm a top player/first round pick I wont play at your club".

We are going to have to trade up and send some players back over east... I don't know who but we need picks in the low 20's or another first rounder badly if we want Kelly and Jack Martin who are the most realistic duo to come to the Dockers if we can figure out how to get some more picks.
Are you from the past? Its round 8

If Kelly wants to come home its a two way battle and I guarantee we'll be better placed to satisfy Geelong then Eagles will

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The cats will want one of our young Victorians as well.
Doesnt matter, no one trades players unless they want to leave or give an indication they want to leave.

Unless Cerra or AB ask to go, they will be off the table. If Langdon doesnt re-sign he could be part of it I suppose

Doesnt matter, no one trades players unless they want to leave or give an indication they want to leave.

Unless Cerra or AB ask to go, they will be off the table. If Langdon doesnt re-sign he could be part of it I suppose
They would be all over Darcy you'd imagine. Young, local ruck - position of need for them.

They would be all over Darcy you'd imagine. Young, local ruck - position of need for them.
Same thing though, contracted to 2022, we arent letting him go unless he asks to go which I doubt happens.

Would have to be close to a direct swap (which is a massive win for us) to even consider it, even then, we are left in a pretty precarious spot list wise...

Pardon the intrusion. If Kelly decides to go home and is now amenable to going to Freo, would a 2019 first rounder plus Cerra be a possibility do you think?
Hard to say - of course we will over value Cerra and under value Kelly, but realistically it might take something of that magnitude to get the deal done.

Personally I'd rather keep Cerra because I think he has incredible upside, but to get something of value we have to give something up.

We have a really good backup ruckman called Scott Jones, you could have him and our first round for Kelly.

I’d like to know how often clubs best youth is traded for a gun player compared to two first rounders etc. Can only really think of Ryan Burton recently tbh.

Geelong fans do realise they can trade with 16 other clubs after they trade with Freo or West Coast? If I were them I’d look around at other clubs as well knowing full well that if Kelly leaves they’ll have three first rounders (their own and two from trading Kelly) to throw around.

I actually don’t think Cerra and a first for Kelly is that bad as long as a second comes with Kelly. I just can’t see us trading Cerra with two years on his contract.

Hard to say - of course we will over value Cerra and under value Kelly, but realistically it might take something of that magnitude to get the deal done.

Personally I'd rather keep Cerra because I think he has incredible upside, but to get something of value we have to give something up.

We have a really good backup ruckman called Scott Jones, you could have him and our first round for Kelly.

Don’t know anything about Jones. But Cerra would probably be of interest to us being a Victorian and a midfielder to replace what we would lose with Kelly leaving.

I think club's tend to try and keep it to just picks these days - makes it harder for fans to compare players than straight swaps. Can't see them trading Cerra in any deal unless he wants out and we get a "win" out of it. I would have thought you guys are relatively well stocked to cover kelly with parfitt, miers, constable even dalhaus and you guys would be more after a KPF with hawkins getting closer to the end. I'd do a 7+ pick and tabs for kelly.

Pardon the intrusion. If Kelly decides to go home and is now amenable to going to Freo, would a 2019 first rounder plus Cerra be a possibility do you think?
No. That’s overs for Kelly. A mature aged recruit for a top 5 youth pick? That’s fantasy. 24 year old for a 19 year old. Freo wouldn’t give that up. Played hard last year’s draft to get two top 5 picks. Won’t give that away.
If anything, first round picks is all we would offer, no players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back