Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree
I think Angus is a jet (except recently for my SuperCoach team), but I see Andrew as a different player.
If they were Selwoods, Angus would be Joel, while Andrew & Hamish would be Scott & Adam, with those 2 closer in playing ability than their star brother.
Angus showed some excellent signs early, so I certainly disagree
Entitled to your opinion , but pretty sure stats say otherwise.

Because the ‘ professionals ‘ have done such an amazing job for us ?

Funny how winning all these trade weeks hasn’t really resulted in winning games though ( so far at least )

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yes it has. In 2016, before the trades we won 4 games!

Now picture Freo running out next week without Hamling, Hill, Wilson, Matera, Lobb, Conca, Hogan, Ryan and Brayshaw.

Blind Freddy can see they've done well.

I disagree
I think Angus is a jet (except recently for my SuperCoach team), but I see Andrew as a different player.
If they were Selwoods, Angus would be Joel, while Andrew & Hamish would be Scott & Adam, with those 2 closer in playing ability than their star brother.
Angus showed some excellent signs early, so I certainly disagree

Andrew in his first year got more possessions than Angus in 4 fewer games. Their stats are very similar.

Both brother are guns.

I don't think we'll get any of coniglio (stays unless they win the flag), martin(stay or melb) or kelly (WC). We'd probably be better off long term getting callum ah chee or shai bolton on the cheap and picking up a mid with our first rounder

I don't think we'll get any of coniglio (stays unless they win the flag), martin(stay or melb) or kelly (WC). We'd probably be better off long term getting callum ah chee or shai bolton on the cheap and picking up a mid with our first rounder
This is the percentage play in my opinion.

If you want Peter Bell to arrange something big at the end of the year, just make him feel like the club needs an immediate injection of hope and he'll go and buy some mature bodies to throw onto the list - but it might not work out as well as hoped from a list performance perspective. That won't be the point though, it's about selling hope.

I like to look at how our best twenty two can be improved, because we can only play twenty two a game so having more C grade players watching doesn't make much improvement. So who is filling a spot that could be improved by replacing with someone that we can reasonably expect to attain?

DEF:
Hamling - Nope
Pearce - Nope
Ryan - Nope

MID:
Fyfe - Nope
Mundy - Nope
Walters - Nope

FWD:
Matera - Nope, I think he is as good as a small forward as you could hope for now he is fit.

RUCK:
Lobb - Plenty of better rucks, plenty of better forwards - as a combination he might be the best option here but we play him as ruck #1.

That sort of exercise shows how much growth we have in our young players to come because we could play a lot of players ahead of Cerra and Brayshaw for an increase in performance game to game, but we aren't playing IPL football and building a squad to win one year.

Andrew in his first year got more possessions than Angus in 4 fewer games. Their stats are very similar.

Both brother are guns.
Yeah this is what I notice. Angus started really slow and not until several preseasons did he start to find a position and crush it. I'm pretty confident this will happen with Andrew.

If you want Peter Bell to arrange something big at the end of the year, just make him feel like the club needs an immediate injection of hope and he'll go and buy some mature bodies to throw onto the list - but it might not work out as well as hoped from a list performance perspective. That won't be the point though, it's about selling hope.

I like to look at how our best twenty two can be improved, because we can only play twenty two a game so having more C grade players watching doesn't make much improvement. So who is filling a spot that could be improved by replacing with someone that we can reasonably expect to attain?

DEF:
Hamling - Nope
Pearce - Nope
Ryan - Nope

MID:
Fyfe - Nope
Mundy - Nope
Walters - Nope

FWD:
Matera - Nope, I think he is as good as a small forward as you could hope for now he is fit.

RUCK:
Lobb - Plenty of better rucks, plenty of better forwards - as a combination he might be the best option here but we play him as ruck #1.

That sort of exercise shows how much growth we have in our young players to come because we could play a lot of players ahead of Cerra and Brayshaw for an increase in performance game to game, but we aren't playing IPL football and building a squad to win one year.

I don’t see us as a big player this year. We will go after Coniglio, and may put a token amount for Kelly, but I suspect we will just draft this year.

DEF:
Hamling - Nope
Pearce - Nope
Ryan - Nope

MID:
Fyfe - Nope
Mundy - Nope
Walters - Nope

FWD:

RUCK:

I think we need to pick up:
Inside mid with pace - kelly does fit this and probably fills an age gap with our mids. Would become much less of a need if we could get hill, bennell and blakely fit and in form
Small/Med fwd with pace and skills - Ah chee/bolton, henry and sturt coming into his 2nd year would fill this need
Developing ruck - luke jackson might be around our 2nd pick - is he tall enough to play ruck at afl level? can he play forward well enough to be a ruck/fwd
Developing KPD - 195cm plus genuine back-up for pearce and hamling

Inside mid with pace - kelly does fit this and probably fills an age gap with our mids. Would become much less of a need if we could get hill, bennell and blakely fit and in form
Small/Med fwd with pace and skills - Ah chee/bolton, henry and sturt coming into his 2nd year would fill this need
Developing ruck - luke jackson might be around our 2nd pick - is he tall enough to play ruck at afl level? can he play forward well enough to be a ruck/fwd
How on Earth do we need a developing ruck when we have Darcy who will be the number 1 ruck for several years.

You dont need a developing ruck when your main one is already set for the long-term, you need play in case of emergency, which is what Jones and Meek are.

How on Earth do we need a developing ruck when we have Darcy who will be the number 1 ruck for several years.

You dont need a developing ruck when your main one is already set for the long-term, you need play in case of emergency, which is what Jones and Meek are.
Maybe he will maybe he won't - I don't think he's shown enough to guarantee he will make it. I'd keep 1 off jones/meek/sandi as injury cover for lobb and darcy and add another ruck to be competing with Darcy in 2-3 years time - preferably 1 capable of playing forward also

Maybe he will maybe he won't - I don't think he's shown enough to guarantee he will make it. I'd keep 1 off jones/meek/sandi as injury cover for lobb and darcy and add another ruck to be competing with Darcy in 2-3 years time - preferably 1 capable of playing forward also
Big men take time. Darcy is young. However depending on whether we persist with Lobb for the rest of the year and our results will determine if Darcy is trade currency going forward for Kelly. I just can't see us playing Lobb and Darcy in the same side unless Tabs or Hogan is down.

Big men take time. Darcy is young. However depending on whether we persist with Lobb for the rest of the year and our results will determine if Darcy is trade currency going forward for Kelly. I just can't see us playing Lobb and Darcy in the same side unless Tabs or Hogan is down.
Don't get me wrong i think Darcy is a great prospect who is tracking along very nicely i just don't think it is a fait accompli and would like to have depth for competition and LTI's. I wouldn't be trading darcy short of exceptional circumstances.

I think it is inevitable that eventually we will move to a Lobb, Hogan, Cox, Darcy/Sandi combo. I'd rather have classy users in cox and Hogan pushing up the ground and using it inside fwd 50. That leaves tabs fighting with lobb to play out of the goalsquare and pinch hit in the ruck. I think they are similar contested marks with lobb being the better ruckman so I'd have lobb over tabs (i understand others will feel differently and have genuine and credible reasons for this).

McCarthy needs to go all out on speed/endurance/agility training and become an oversized small forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Consider the Andrews broken jaw and the improvement he had shown in the games leading up to that. Andrew is a class act. Andrews and Cerra’s disposal will be elite when they are more acclimatised and confident with the speed of the game
Don't think Andy's disposal will ever be elite but I am confident it will be tidy.

I'm still on the 'best available' for our first pick, which probably means midfielder, but who knows.

Our midfield is starting to rely on too few, and Mundy is soon to retire. Blakely has had some time in there in the past, I'm hoping Cerra continues to develop and moves up to a wing and Valente was drafted as a mid. These three present as our most likely to add to Fyfe, Hill, Langdon, Tucker and Brayshaw. Another would be welcome - you really can't have enough talent in the middle.

Small/Med forward would be handy: Matera, Switkowski, Schultz, Walters and Sturt are a decent pack, but an 18 your old adding to it would be nice. It's a difficult part of the ground (everything looks like it's getting smaller - eek) and good small/mid forwards are worth their weight in gold - particularly if they can mark. Both teams in last year's GF had good small/mid forwards, and last week against Tigers they tore us apart.

We don't need another ruck. We've already got 1 too many. Sandilands's retirement still means we're carrying Darcy, Lobb, Meek and Jones. Darcy isn't even getting a game now, and Meek is having to play 2nds to get game time. It would be a waste of a list spot. Luke Strnadica was delisted after not doing much wrong for the same reason.

As for a developing KPD - and this is a bit controversial - I'd put Kersten on the LTI list and go to the Mid-Deason Draft and grab Dillon O'Rielly
Dillon O’Rielly (Western Australia/East Fremantle)
02/06/2000 Height: 194cm Weight: 89kg

A strong marking tall forward who reads the flight of the ball well and has clean hands. Mobile player capable of playing in defence. Key target for Western Australia in the 2018 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships and has played senior football at East Fremantle. Son of Stephen O’Reilly who played at Geelong Cats, Fremantle and Carlton

He's basically free, will be on base pay, had a good carnival and would be a fairytale for supporters who were around when his old man was playing. Great reports from his current coach about how dedicated he is and how determined he is to get a crack at AFL level.

Just my 2 bobs

As for a developing KPD - and this is a bit controversial - I'd put Kersten on the LTI list and go to the Mid-Deason Draft and grab Dillon O'Rielly
Dillon O’Rielly (Western Australia/East Fremantle)
02/06/2000 Height: 194cm Weight: 89kg

A strong marking tall forward who reads the flight of the ball well and has clean hands. Mobile player capable of playing in defence. Key target for Western Australia in the 2018 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships and has played senior football at East Fremantle. Son of Stephen O’Reilly who played at Geelong Cats, Fremantle and Carlton

He's basically free, will be on base pay, had a good carnival and would be a fairytale for supporters who were around when his old man was playing. Great reports from his current coach about how dedicated he is and how determined he is to get a crack at AFL level.

I'm not saying he isn't a hard worker, but I don't think OReilly is going anywhere currently but back to WAFL reserves TBH.

If we wanted to invent a backman from a forward we will do it with players already on the list (Eg Cox, Dixon or Meek).

If we wanted to invent a backman from a forward we will do it with players already on the list (Eg Cox, Dixon or Meek).
And both Cox and Dixon already have defender on their resume don't they? Plus we already have Logue and Duman who are outside of our current best 22, and while they may not be week in, week out candidates for the two key tall defender positions, they would be able to cover when required.

Will we go for Kelly?

Absolutely if he is available, fits in our cap and the price is reasonable. Not cheap, but reasonable.

Will we go after Coniglio?

Absolutely if he is available, fits in our cap and the price is reasonable. Not cheap but reasonable.

Will we go after Martin?

Absolutely if he is available, fits in our cap and the price is reasonable. Not cheap but reasonable.

Why?

Because we are building a team to win a flag now, they want one whilst Fyfe is still a superstar.

Make no mistake, internal expectations at the club have flipped this year, the rebuild is over and it’s time to get moving.

And both Cox and Dixon already have defender on their resume don't they? Plus we already have Logue and Duman who are outside of our current best 22, and while they may not be week in, week out candidates for the two key tall defender positions, they would be able to cover when required.

There’s no way I’d put Duman a key defender ever tbh.

They may be shorter (and played Saturday) but I’d rather Hughes or Nyhuis play that role and Duman replace them. They mark the ball better and don’t kick it as well as Duman.

Dixon is at the back of a long list of KPFs - I’d send him back and keep him there until the time comes when our KPFs are all injured (hopefully never).

There’s no way I’d put Duman a key defender ever tbh.

They may be shorter (and played Saturday) but I’d rather Hughes or Nyhuis play that role and Duman replace them. They mark the ball better and don’t kick it as well as Duman.

Dixon is at the back of a long list of KPFs - I’d send him back and keep him there until the time comes when our KPFs are all injured (hopefully never).
The point is exactly the same no matter who we are discussing. We actually already have depth to cover emergencies, especially when you have the two key positions locked in for the long term as well as a precociously talented and athletic 3rd tall. Every other option is depth for the foreseeable future. Nothing wrong with depth, but that is not what you recruit for, and we have best 22 needs that should be targeted.

The only way I would draft a KPD is if they were easily the best available at that pick, and really only after the first 2 rounds.

The point is exactly the same no matter who we are discussing. We actually already have depth to cover emergencies, especially when you have the two key positions locked in for the long term as well as a precociously talented and athletic 3rd tall. Every other option is depth for the foreseeable future. Nothing wrong with depth, but that is not what you recruit for, and we have best 22 needs that should be targeted.

The only way I would draft a KPD is if they were easily the best available at that pick, and really only after the first 2 rounds.

Guess we sort of agree.

I think we should be drafting mids and medium forwards (too many small blokes already) only for the first three rounds tbh. Unlike most on here I actually see a third rounder as an okay draft selection that can add a lot to the list if you nail them.

Ideally I’d probably add another KPD and sort out our ruck depth too but realistically I do not see these players adding much to best 22 calculations for a future top four push so fourth round onwards for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back